Pre-Game Talk: Senators VS Sabres (...and the lehner) Sept.23 TSN5 7pm

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
To be fair, it's exhibition.

I'm hardly in the Lehner fan club but this game didn't mean anything.

I was just being facetious in response to some earlier in the thread cheering Lehner on or warning us that he's going to screw us over. Just having a little fun with some of the overzealousness.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was just being facetious in response to some earlier in the thread cheering Lehner on or warning us that he's going to screw us over. Just having a little fun with some of the overzealousness.

I know, and I'm being overly diplomatic.

Just flexing the posting muscles in time for the season. ;)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wish I could get that Cameron sound bite about Lehner when people here go on about how great he's going to be...

"I have NO interest in Robin Lehner". COLD-BLOODED.

Matt O'Connor - 1, Robin Lehner - 0

I've always gotten the sense that by the end, Lehner had worn out his welcome somewhat with the coaching staff and management. This would definitely confirm it.

I am delighted to eat my words about the allegedly weak roster that the Sens dressed last night. You can't put too much stock into pre-season results themselves, but nice to see some prospects playing hard and making a good showing for management. It was especially important to see that we had re-stocked the goaltending prospect pipeline, and it appears we have...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
a team full of fringe guys beating veterans in preseason is not really surprising at all, I would venture to say it happens a lot.

The preseason is honestly almost completely worthless, if not completely. It used to make sense back when guys would use training camp and preseason to get in shape but now these guys train year round.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Lehner just fell of a cliff when he got his kid now he is just a sorry excuse for an NHL goaltender.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I can't wait for the epic meltdowns Lehner will have playing behind that team. How many games until he very publicly starts blaming everyone of his team ates on the ice after each goal?

I was a Lehner fan from his days in Jr and then his success in Bingo. Loved his confidence and aggressiveness. Really lost faith in him as a starting NHL goalie over the past couple seasons though.

But, personally, I am certainly not hoping that he fails.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I was a Lehner fan from his days in Jr and then his success in Bingo. Loved his confidence and aggressiveness. Really lost faith in him as a starting NHL goalie over the past couple seasons though.

But, personally, I am certainly not hoping that he fails.

Wishing for failure is petty. I hope the only time Lehner struggles is when he's in direct competition with the Sens. Other than that, I don't really care. The same way I feel about Bishop.

I'd probably care more if we didn't have the goalie pipeline that we do but goaltending is the absolute least of our worries.

The only person I wish abject failure on is Matt Cooke. **** that guy. I hope he ends up homeless.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I can't wait for the epic meltdowns Lehner will have playing behind that team. How many games until he very publicly starts blaming everyone of his team ates on the ice after each goal?

To be fair, Lehner never blames his teammates and always points the finger on himself first.

The only time I heard him blame anyone was when he said Ottawa didnt give him chance to develop properly and he is a bit right in that regard and a bit wrong so yea.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its a joke. Bishop and Wideman are good friends

More importantly, it was a comment he made when they were teammates in Bingo.

To be fair, Lehner never blames his teammates and always points the finger on himself first.

The only time I heard him blame anyone was when he said Ottawa didnt give him chance to develop properly and he is a bit right in that regard and a bit wrong so yea.

He doesn't blame them... he just gives them the death stare.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
a team full of fringe guys beating veterans in preseason is not really surprising at all, I would venture to say it happens a lot.

The preseason is honestly almost completely worthless, if not completely. It used to make sense back when guys would use training camp and preseason to get in shape but now these guys train year round.

Yep.

Fringe guys and kids are trying to make an impression, or take advantage of their last shot at making the NHL.

The vets are just tuning up for the season and trying not to injure themselves.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Training isnt the same as in game reps.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
One guy who gets a lot of flack, Chiasson, was good last night IMO. Only pre-season but he was beating guys wide and seemed to have a lot of jump! Good to see

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Training isnt the same as in game reps.

But preseason game reps isn't the same as regular season game reps.

Would you honestly care if a rookie out hustles Karlsson on a play in the preseason?

I've watched enough hockey over twenty years to not give even an iooooooooota of crap about anything that happens in the preseason.

We all know why we have the Bochenski award.

If I had my way the NHL preseason would be two games long and the NFL preseason would be one game.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
But preseason game reps isn't the same as regular season game reps.

Would you honestly care if a rookie out hustles Karlsson on a play in the preseason?

I've watched enough hockey over twenty years to not give even an iooooooooota of crap about anything that happens in the preseason.

We all know why we have the Bochenski award.

If I had my way the NHL preseason would be two games long and the NFL preseason would be one game.

Just want to correct you a tad. Preseason means nothing except for a couple of players.

You are right that 95% of players no matter what happens, will be placed on their obvious respective teams. But like bochenski, like butler, having a strong camp can make you get an oppurtunity with a big team that you otherwise wouldn't get.

You point to bochenski, but that demonstrates my point. If he didn't go gretzky in that one preseason, he doesn't get 156 NHL games, or mads money in the KHL.

On the flip side, people claimed we never game locke a real shot. I bet you if he went bochenski in preseason, he gets more than a handful of regular season games.

For those 2-3 bubble guys, it can make a difference. If greening is invisible all preseason, there is a strong chance he could be sent down right after camp. If greening looks like a force, there's a good chance he's kept up for a month or two.

Camp means a lot to a guy like puempel. Right now it's looking like he'll start in the AHL. If he was scoring a goal a game in the preseason, i bet he would start in the NHL.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
One guy who gets a lot of flack, Chiasson, was good last night IMO. Only pre-season but he was beating guys wide and seemed to have a lot of jump! Good to see

Yip, he looked good. He looked quick and engaged. But one caveat is that he looked good last year in pre-season as well. Then not so much...

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sure, that's why 2-3 preseason games is more than adequate. How many do we have? 7? Complete overkill. The NFL preseason is also like what, a quarter of the season?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sure, that's why 2-3 preseason games is more than adequate. How many do we have? 7? Complete overkill.

IMO, the problem isn't 7 preseason games. The problem is people think preseason games have more value than they actually do. People try to read too much into them, and take them too seriously.

I mean, the league felt necessary to make a rule ensuring that a minimum number of NHL players actually play in these games. That should tell you all you need to know about how established NHLers view the preseason. This isn't the 70's, training camps aren't for pros anymore. Camp now is all for prospects, and part of the development process. Show them the difference between what a Major Junior camp looks like vs a pro camp, where they need to be in order to get to the next level, etc...

7 preseason games, for THAT, is fine. Getting Thomas Chabot 7 preseason games will do wonders for him, teach him a ton, and give him things to work on for the year when he gets back to his junior team. Clarke MacArthur? Not so much.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Sure, that's why 2-3 preseason games is more than adequate. How many do we have? 7? Complete overkill. The NFL preseason is also like what, a quarter of the season?

There have been suggestions of an NFL spring league where young players could develop which would:

1) Fill the need for development league
2) Fill the purpose of many of these useless preseason games
3) Ensure there's always some NFL to watch

A similar idea would be interesting for the NHL. Instead of having all of these little rookie tournaments, have all teams participate in a larger rookie tournament. Or maybe a tournament between the tournament winners? I don't know but it could be interesting.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
There have been suggestions of an NFL spring league where young players could develop which would:

1) Fill the need for development league
2) Fill the purpose of many of these useless preseason games
3) Ensure there's always some NFL to watch

A similar idea would be interesting for the NHL. Instead of having all of these little rookie tournaments, have all teams participate in a larger rookie tournament. Or maybe a tournament between the tournament winners? I don't know but it could be interesting.

I definitely like that idea a lot better plus it probably makes it more exciting to fans since everyone likes watching the unknown young players they don't see much of.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm genuinely curious to see how long it takes before some sort of 3 on 3 trap system is invented.

Not long, anyone thinking that the 3 on 3 that is being played in the pre season is going to resemble what the 3 on 3 is going to look like after game 40 is out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00