News Article: Senators claim Magnus Paajarvi on waivers from the St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Who? The reality is that we don't really have young players that are pushing for roster spots. Chlapik and White are the best that we have on our farm team and neither one really looks like they're ready for full-time NHL duty. Beyond those two, most of the forwards in Belleville are simply not legitimate NHL prospects.

Paul. I would like to give him an extended look as he won't be waiver exempt next year. So it's a bit of a crossroad season for the guy.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm sure Paul will get a run of games after the deadline, and maybe even before then. That said, he certainly hasn't 'earned' a call-up - he's teetering on the edge of bust status in my mind.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm sure Paul will get a run of games after the deadline, and maybe even before then. That said, he certainly hasn't 'earned' a call-up - he's teetering on the edge of bust status in my mind.

Oh yeah, he's close to busting. But he should be given a real chance with more than just a dozen game. Not because he deserves it, but to see what he's made of. He's looked better with the big club than he ever did in the AHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Can we sit Burrows now?

Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Pyatt
Paajarvi-Thompson-Dumont
Burrows
Paul-Chlapik-Dido

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
So ...does this mean that Dorion just showed his cards and another GM knows now that we have have to get rid of Smith at a discount?

Or ...this guy goes to help out the B Sens

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So ...does this mean that Dorion just showed his cards and another GM knows now that we have have to get rid of Smith at a discount?

I think if we waived him, another team would claim him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That's a bizzare thought given that Smith hasn't played the way you describe in the past few seasons and had his most succesful time in NHL in that span. Smith used to play the more rugged style when he initally got in the NHL but has recycled his style of play to be more offensive than physical in the last seasons. That goes back to the time Dave Cameron was here and even before that Maclean tried him in the top 6. Smith talked about that and mentionned he wanted to contibute offensively more rather than just being a grinder like he was previously. Cameron also mentionned he thought Smith was a better offensive player that given credit for and that's why Cameron started to play him more and more on the PP back then. Everyone was mad at Cameron for giving Smith so many chances on the PP until he finally broke out with Stone and Pageau and everyone forgot how much they hated Smith.

He'll lean on guys, fight from time to time but rarely, he's not the type of player who makes big hits anymore or that gets hit a lot either. I would agree if he played his entire career the way he did in the past but it's not the case. The last two season were his most succesful seasons in the NHL so far. This season has been terrible for everyone on this team from the top to the bottom of the lineup other than Mark Stone and Ryan Dzingel. Smith has also been injured this season. He actually had a pretty good start until he got injured. I don't really see signs of his body slowing down either. Plays with the same speed and same style as last seasons, he just hasn't been that successful like the rest of the team.

Smith has always been an inconsistent player to begin with. He's not the best offensive player so when he's not with Stone it's obviously not the same and you won't get the same results. I don't think people should really be surprised that he has a down year. 3 seasons ago everyone wanted this guy gone because he was a plug and he was done until he came back and had great seasons... Not everytime a player has a tough stretch (especially in a season like this) that it means that his body is slowing down and all that stuff we hear about players who are close to their 30s.

Smith hasn't been physical for a long time and it's certainly not because he's slowed down.. He was like 25-26 when he started playing this way and has only been more successful so I don't see why that's a sign of slowing down. No need for him to play the way he used to if he can be successful this way.

If you are watching Sens games and aren't noticing that Smith is always first in the corners or along the boards to dig out puck, and takes a beating in doing so from much larger players a lot of the time, then there's realy no point in having this discussion, because we clearly aren't ever going to come to any real concensus on Smith as a player.

Making big hits isn't usually what puts a toll on your body. Taking big hits is. Go ask Redden, a guy who probably didn't throw 10 meaningful hits in his entire career, how much getting hammered in his own corner every time he went to gather a dump-in affected his career after 30.

Sure, I'll absolutely agree that Smith has certainly stopped flying in the zone head-first looking to smash now that he had his nice goal-scoring season and wants to try and replicate it (to what success he has had in doing so is obviously questionable), but to think he hasn't stopped "paying the price" to go get pucks, and as a result takes a pounding on the regular, is just flat out not accurate.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Why would the Sens claiming a guy with a 900k salary mean that they have to trade another player at a discount?

That makes no sense.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you are watching Sens games and aren't noticing that Smith is always first in the corners or along the boards to dig out puck, and takes a beating in doing so from much larger players a lot of the time, then there's realy no point in having this discussion, because we clearly aren't ever going to come to any real concensus on Smith as a player.

Making big hits isn't usually what puts a toll on your body. Taking big hits is. Go ask Redden, a guy who probably didn't throw 10 meaningful hits in his entire career, how much getting hammered in his own corner every time he went to gather a dump-in affected his career after 30.

Sure, I'll absolutely agree that Smith has certainly stopped flying in the zone head-first looking to smash now that he had his nice goal-scoring season and wants to try and replicate it (to what success he has had in doing so is obviously questionable), but to think he hasn't stopped "paying the price" to go get pucks, and as a result takes a pounding on the regular, is just flat out not accurate.

I think on a team full of softies, and minus Chris Neil, Smith not playing the way Smith used to play makes it look all the more noticeable. No one hits or forechecks on this team up front. he used to. And I get that he is better along the boards than others, but at 3.25, Dumont does what he does plus he actually hits.

That is not meant to be a compliment to Dumont, but more an indictment on Smith.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I mean on paper we look pretty good. Imo

Thats why we must be careful not to do anything drastic. IMO our main issue is chemistry and skill-set. We have a lot of it, just not in the right condition.

We need to find a way to trade Ryan. We also need to find a way to become STRONGER in our top 6. We are incredibly weak. Duchene was improvement but Dzingel, Ryan, Hoffman, Brassard. These guys get out-muscled often. And only 2 of them have blazing speed to compensate for it; yet ironically they are the two weakest players of that group and with the least impactful defensive game.

We have a lot of one-dimensional talent. Ryan with his skill, Brassard with his play-making, Hoffman with his speed and shot, Dzingel with his speed.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Who? The reality is that we don't really have young players that are pushing for roster spots. Chlapik and White are the best that we have on our farm team and neither one really looks like they're ready for full-time NHL duty. Beyond those two, most of the forwards in Belleville are simply not legitimate NHL prospects.

Paul, White, Chlapik, Gagne, Harpur, Englund, Jaros need time to become regular NHL level players, so giving them some NHL level experience this year makes sense as this team should be thinking of the future, not how they will play this season as the playoff hopes have been demolished already.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Sarcasm., I am guessing this guy is heading to Belleville.

Blues would probably just take him right back if Ottawa's intention was to send him to the AHL. Just like Dumont, he'll get his time in the NHL with Ottawa.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think on a team full of softies, and minus Chris Neil, Smith not playing the way Smith used to play makes it look all the more noticeable. No one hits or forechecks on this team up front. he used to. And I get that he is better along the boards than others, but at 3.25, Dumont does what he does plus he actually hits.

That is not meant to be a compliment to Dumont, but more an indictment on Smith.

Hey man, agreed.

I'm not suggesting that Smith is delivering the goods, just more explaining why the toll of his style of play (both from back when he used to hit, and now that he's shied away from it in the past 2-3 seasons) will have a noticeable effect on the length of his career, and shorten his "prime" (which has already passed him by, IMO)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Paul, White, Chlapik, Gagne, Harpur, Englund, Jaros need time to become regular NHL level players, so giving them some NHL level experience this year makes sense as this team should be thinking of the future, not how they will play this season as the playoff hopes have been demolished already.

I think management has to tread carefully to your point. If they throw in the towel now the players will not stand for it. I think we will have to wait until the trade deadline to see a noticeable shift in philosophy. As crazy as it sounds there are still players trying to win.

In a sense this throw away season allows management an opportunity to see what they truly have on the farm.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hey man, agreed.

I'm not suggesting that Smith is delivering the goods, just more explaining why the toll of his style of play (both from back when he used to hit, and now that he's shied away from it in the past 2-3 seasons) will have a noticeable effect on the length of his career, and shorten his "prime" (which has already passed him by, IMO)

All the more reason to trade him I suppose...too bad but he looks to be a casualty of a horrific season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
EK on MP
On the Sens acquiring Magnus Paajarvi:
He's a great guy. I haven't played with him for a long time now but he's someone that has big upside. He moves his big body around a lot and hopefully he'll fit in good with our group of guys. I know the guys on the team are really going to enjoy playing with him so hopefully he can spark something for us. I played a lot of tournaments with him growing up on the national team. He's a great guy and a funny guy. His skill set is really good even though he hasn't been put in a situation to show it much lately.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad