News Article: Senators claim Magnus Paajarvi on waivers from the St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh stop...His best seasons came as a winger ....His team Canada inclusion was because he could play both,but they even played him more as a winger...

This is getting off topic, but his best season(s) were probably 2013-14 and 2012-13, both of which he was over(oops, my bad) around a point per game. In 2013-14 he was second on the team in total faceoffs, and in 2012-13, he led the team in faceoffs. In 2013-14, he centered O'Reilly (who mostly played wing that year) and McGinn. In 2012-13 he centered a line of Parenteau and McGinn.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers fan here. Happy to see Magnus get another shot as I believe he's got the tools to continue to be an effective NHLer. What I'm wondering is if the Senators might be interested in possibly converting him to LD. It's something that's been mentioned before and IIRC he was a defenseman earlier in his career. In the NHL, he's always been a guy who cheats for defense and with a fellow Swede and one of the best Dmen in the league as a mentor, I wonder if this is what Dorion has in store for Mags.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This is getting off topic, but his best season(s) were probably 2013-14 and 2012-13, both of which he was over a point per game. In 2013-14 he was second on the team in total faceoffs, and in 2012-13, he led the team in faceoffs. In 2013-14, he centered O'Reilly (who mostly played wing that year) and McGinn. In 2012-13 he centered a line of Parenteau and McGinn.

Sounds like a LW to me. Maybe we picked up MPS to be our new #1 C since Dooch is clearly a LW. :sarcasm:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oilers fan here. Happy to see Magnus get another shot as I believe he's got the tools to continue to be an effective NHLer. What I'm wondering is if the Senators might be interested in possibly converting him to LD. It's something that's been mentioned before and IIRC he was a defenseman earlier in his career. In the NHL, he's always been a guy who cheats for defense and with a fellow Swede and one of the best Dmen in the league as a mentor, I wonder if this is what Dorion has in store for Mags.

Boucher's going to love him if he thinks Defense first

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In each of the last 5 seasons (since the lockout) Duchene has won more than 500 faceoffs every single year except one where he won 428. Sounds like a C to me. He's been used a winger at times on teams that have an abundance of Cs like Colorado (O'Reilly, Stastny, MacKinnon) and Team Canada (too many to name) because he plays the wing well. To suggest he's a winger playing centre is crazy.

He was drafted as a C.

He takes a lot of draws and is good at faceoffs.

He plays a 200 foot game and covers a lot of ice.

He's a centre flat out.

The only thing I see that suggests he's winger playing out of position is your opinion.
Sounds like ZSmith who plays LW/C....Turris is and was the better center,overall skill its Duchene.....But I stand by what I said...He is far better at wing than he is at center

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Sounds like ZSmith who plays LW/C....Turris is and was the better center,overall skill its Duchene.....But I stand by what I said...He is far better at wing than he is at center

He sounds NOTHING like Zack Smith who really only has produced when playing with specific player. Smith has produced better on the LW when Stone is his RW. He's now been moved to LW. Simple.

As Micklebot pointed out, Duchen has been a PPG player while taking the most draws on his team.

Not the same thing at all.

But anyway it looks like the team has picked a REAL LWer in MPS.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Maybe shift Boro (or Wides) up front full time? Guy likes!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He sounds NOTHING like Zack Smith who really only has produced when playing with specific player. Smith has produced better on the LW when Stone is his RW. He's now been moved to LW. Simple.

As Micklebot pointed out, Duchen has been a PPG player while taking the most draws on his team.

Not the same thing at all.

But anyway it looks like the team has picked a REAL LWer in MPS.
Doesnt make him a great center......His best season was with ROR as the center with him on the wing....The problem in trading Turris is we traded our best center,for C/LW that can win draws but plays far better as a winger

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Top Sens move of all time if MPS turns into #2 D man partner for EK65.

I legit lol'd.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Doesnt make him a great center......His best season was with ROR as the center with him on the wing....The problem in trading Turris is we traded our best center,for C/LW that can win draws but plays far better as a winger

No taking the most draws doesn't make him a good centre. It makes him a centre. Scoring 70 points in 71 games, or 43 points in 47 games, or 67 points in 80 games makes him good. THAT makes him a good player while playing the centre position. Which makes him a good centre.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Cheats for defense? Lmfao wtf. Who cheats for defense.

Reactions: Cosmix

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Cheats for defense? Lmfao wtf. Who cheats for defense.
Players who have no idea what they're doing in the offensive zone and are afraid to make commitments in that zone to drive offense. Effective offensive forwards make risky plays--he's literally the opposite. Just throwing it out there.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Top Sens move of all time if MPS turns into #2 D man partner for EK65.

I legit lol'd.
It wouldn't be the worst thing he's done. Ben Harpur's seeing some regular shifts so I can't see the Maggie experiment being much of a clownshow even if it didn't pay off.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Players who have no idea what they're doing in the offensive zone and are afraid to make commitments in that zone to drive offense. Effective offensive forwards make risky plays--he's literally the opposite. Just throwing it out there.
I wasn’t expecting a super star lol but cheats for defense? That’s hilarious. The oilers scared him into never playin in the O zone lmao. Boucher will have him just playing beside Anderson all game

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If the kid was 19 or 20, there would be a decent chance to convert from forward to defense. I think the ship has sailed on that one now, especially considering how fast the league is these days. Defensemen have to make decisions instantly on the ice, or get burned badly. I don't think a guy who is 26 has the time to learn a new position like that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wasn’t expecting a super star lol but cheats for defense? That’s hilarious. The oilers scared him into never playin in the O zone lmao. Boucher will have him just playing beside Anderson all game

Why are we blaming the Oilers here? He had a 30 pts season, and 16 pts in 42 games season there, so a typical middle six winger pace. It's with the Blues where his already limited offensive contribution really disappeared.

I think he could be a pretty good replacement for Smith. Good size, good speed, good defensive play, but limited offense. Tools are there to contribute from time to time.

He's basically turned into what Greening was supposed to become.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why are we blaming the Oilers here? He had a 30 pts season, and 16 pts in 42 games season there, so a typical middle six winger pace. It's with the Blues where his already limited offensive contribution really disappeared.

I think he could be a pretty good replacement for Smith. Good size, good speed, good defensive play, but limited offense. Tools are there to contribute from time to time.

He's basically turned into what Greening was supposed to become.
This guy was an offensive weapon before the nhl. You don’t think oilers played any part into him apparently never cheating offensively lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This guy was an offensive weapon before the nhl. You don’t think oilers played any part into him apparently never cheating offensively lol.

Since when are the oilers known for not cheating offensively? On the flip side, how does Hitchcook, his coach for much of his time in St.Louis, view cheating for offense?

This is like suggesting that MacLean and Cameron scared Lazar from cheating offensively, well, no, he produced fine for a bottom 6 winger under them compared to under Boucher.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Since when are the oilers known for not cheating offensively? On the flip side, how does Hitchcook, his coach for much of his time in St.Louis, view cheating for offense?

This is like suggesting that MacLean and Cameron scared Lazar from cheating offensively, well, no, he produced fine for a bottom 6 winger under them compared to under Boucher.
Paajarvi has more talent than lazar. Lazar was always seem a defense first forward. You don’t think getting pumped in Edmonton night in night out played a factor in his offensive game takin a hit. Really. Not at all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Paajarvi has more talent than lazar. Lazar was always seem a defense first forward. You don’t think getting pumped in Edmonton night in night out played a factor in his offensive game takin a hit. Really. Not at all.

Paajarvi was always seen as a guy that lacked finish. That's back to his pre-draft days. You're greatly exaggerating how much of a weapon he was, but beyond that, the point of brining up Lazar wasn't to suggest they were comparable, but rather that he, like Paajarvi, showed more offence earlier in his career than he does now, and that his decline in offensive production doesn't align with the offensive minded coaches he played for, but rather the ultra defensive minded ones they ended up playing under.

The oilers certainly hoped that he would develop into a more potent offensive threat when they drafted him, but other than the oilers being a bad team, I have no idea how you are arriving at the conclusion that the Oilers "scared him into never playin in the O zone". What did they do to discourage him from playing in the OZ? Was it the relatively balanced deployment he got (51% OZ)? Was it playing with offensively minded linemates like Gagner and Yakupov?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Paajarvi was always seen as a guy that lacked finish. That's back to his pre-draft days. You're greatly exaggerating how much of a weapon he was, but beyond that, the point of brining up Lazar wasn't to suggest they were comparable, but rather that he, like Paajarvi, showed more offence earlier in his career than he does now, and that his decline in offensive production doesn't align with the offensive minded coaches he played for, but rather the ultra defensive minded ones they ended up playing under.

The oilers certainly hoped that he would develop into a more potent offensive threat when they drafted him, but other than the oilers being a bad team, I have no idea how you are arriving at the conclusion that the Oilers "scared him into never playin in the O zone". What did they do to discourage him from playing in the OZ? Was it the relatively balanced deployment he got (51% OZ)? Was it playing with offensively minded linemates like Gagner and Yakupov?
You know I don’t mean scared into not playing in the O zone literally right? So saying “look 51% o zone deployment thy did in fact have him pass across the opposing teams blue line” doesn’t mean anything.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You know I don’t mean scared into not playing in the O zone literally right? So saying “look 51% o zone deployment thy did in fact have him pass across the opposing teams blue line” doesn’t mean anything.

Ok, but what exactly did they do to discourage offensive play? Because so far, all I've got from you is "played for the Oilers". Help me out here, I'm trying to understand where your coming from...

You've made a criticism of the org I've never really heard before; that they discourage players from playing offensively, and that it has a lasting effect of Paajarvi. I don't see how his time there could have had that effect on him. He was given a pretty normal role over there, and got offensively inclined teammates, and in a system that wasn't known for being overly defensive. So what about being an Oiler for 3 seasons scared him into being a player that cheats defensively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad