News Article: Senators claim Magnus Paajarvi on waivers from the St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I dont mind this one. And it seems as though he has never played for Boucher before-seems strange-

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
That's ridiculous, Smith is ten times the player MPS is or has ever been. MPS has never been more than a bubble player or career AHL player & for a guy his size is soft as butter. At the least he is bigger than Dumont & Dido but both these small guys are probably tougher than this big cream puff. I doubt he works out & from what we have seen of him so far in the NHL & at his age he is what he is & it's another useless acquisition by PD IMO.

Obviously Smith is a noticeably better hockey player. However Smith makes 3.25 for the next 3 seasons. If Zack Smith continues to be on his p>

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Just cannon fodder to throw out there once the great purging begins.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Meh, whatever! Doesn't sound like he'll improve the team's chances to win more games. I guess they just needed a cheap warm body to fill a roster spot until the end of the season.

Wake me up when something interesting happens.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Definitely looks to be a pickup as a replacement body for Smith so they don't have to bring up a Belleville guy.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Agree with those who think he's an inexpensive warm body for the rest of the year since anyone Dorion trades will probably bring back a pick and/or a junior type prospect. At the same time if he shows anything at all he'd be a cheap 1 year depth re-sign if they decide to go that route. There is the intrigue of some type of reclamation since on paper his skill set indicates he should be better offensively than he's shown.

Reactions: Deku

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Kid had great pedigree back in the day. I haven't followed his career at all, so I have no idea if the guy is any good as an NHLer. But, if he can skate better than our bottom 6, then I'm on board (assuming he has a friendly contract).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Really wanted mps in his draft year. Glad we finally got him even if he is trash now.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That's ridiculous, Smith is ten times the player MPS is or has ever been. MPS has never been more than a bubble player or career AHL player & for a guy his size is soft as butter. At the least he is bigger than Dumont & Dido but both these small guys are probably tougher than this big cream puff. I doubt he works out & from what we have seen of him so far in the NHL & at his age he is what he is & it's another useless acquisition by PD IMO.

Smith has slowed down. He doesn't hit. He won't fight. He doesn't score. Yet thinks and acts like a goal scorer. He gives the puck away.

The Zack Smith we loved is gone and we are stuck with a fraudulent player. If he is noticeably better , or 10x better then that would make MPS that lanky kid on my son's Midget House B team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Smith has slowed down. He doesn't hit. He won't fight. He doesn't score. Yet thinks and acts like a goal scorer. He gives the puck away.

The Zack Smith we loved is gone and we are stuck with a fraudulent player. If he is noticeably better , or 10x better then that would make MPS that lanky kid on my son's Midget House B team.

Smith's body is starting to slow down from a lot of hard miles. He never had the frame of an NHL heavyweight, but has played the game like one for his entire career. Guys with bodies like his who plays the way he does unfortunately don't get to enjoy long careers most of the time. He definitely looks like a guy who is feeling the effect of a "live fast and die young" style of play over the course of a decade+ of hockey.

I wish we had a room full of 22 other guys who cared about hockey the way Zack Smith does. It sucks that he's only going to get worse at this point.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Smith's body is starting to slow down from a lot of hard miles. He never had the frame of an NHL heavyweight, but has played the game like one for his entire career. Guys with bodies like his who plays the way he does unfortunately don't get to enjoy long careers most of the time. He definitely looks like a guy who is feeling the effect of a "live fast and die young" style of play over the course of a decade+ of hockey.

I wish we had a room full of 22 other guys who cared about hockey the way Zack Smith does. It sucks that he's only going to get worse at this point.

That's a bizzare thought given that Smith hasn't played the way you describe in the past few seasons and had his most succesful time in NHL in that span. Smith used to play the more rugged style when he initally got in the NHL but has recycled his style of play to be more offensive than physical in the last seasons. That goes back to the time Dave Cameron was here and even before that Maclean tried him in the top 6. Smith talked about that and mentionned he wanted to contibute offensively more rather than just being a grinder like he was previously. Cameron also mentionned he thought Smith was a better offensive player that given credit for and that's why Cameron started to play him more and more on the PP back then. Everyone was mad at Cameron for giving Smith so many chances on the PP until he finally broke out with Stone and Pageau and everyone forgot how much they hated Smith.

He'll lean on guys, fight from time to time but rarely, he's not the type of player who makes big hits anymore or that gets hit a lot either. I would agree if he played his entire career the way he did in the past but it's not the case. The last two season were his most succesful seasons in the NHL so far. This season has been terrible for everyone on this team from the top to the bottom of the lineup other than Mark Stone and Ryan Dzingel. Smith has also been injured this season. He actually had a pretty good start until he got injured. I don't really see signs of his body slowing down either. Plays with the same speed and same style as last seasons, he just hasn't been that successful like the rest of the team.

Smith has always been an inconsistent player to begin with. He's not the best offensive player so when he's not with Stone it's obviously not the same and you won't get the same results. I don't think people should really be surprised that he has a down year. 3 seasons ago everyone wanted this guy gone because he was a plug and he was done until he came back and had great seasons... Not everytime a player has a tough stretch (especially in a season like this) that it means that his body is slowing down and all that stuff we hear about players who are close to their 30s.

Smith hasn't been physical for a long time and it's certainly not because he's slowed down.. He was like 25-26 when he started playing this way and has only been more successful so I don't see why that's a sign of slowing down. No need for him to play the way he used to if he can be successful this way.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

Shhhh...foreign scouts are lurking about

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hopefully Paajarvi can resurrect his NHL career in Ottawa; however I have great doubt he will.

This pickup does not make the team better, so I am thinking the tank strategy should not be harmed. I would rather give the young prospects the time to acclimatize to the NHL than add this guy to the roster. The GM needs to be replaced.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I would rather give the young prospects the time to acclimatize to the NHL than add this guy to the roster.

Who? The reality is that we don't really have young players that are pushing for roster spots. Chlapik and White are the best that we have on our farm team and neither one really looks like they're ready for full-time NHL duty. Beyond those two, most of the forwards in Belleville are simply not legitimate NHL prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad