News Article: Senators claim Magnus Paajarvi on waivers from the St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I like him cause he decided to pick one of his hyphenated names to put on his jersey.

I have a real problem with hyphenated surnames.

What happens when two people with hyphenated names have a kid, and hyphenate the name?

This must be be stopped!

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
IMO this makes it look like a trade is coming soon.

As much as I'd love it if he FINALLY puts his game together with us, his 3rd team, we need to face the facts that he will be 27 years old at the end of this season, and he is what he is at this point -> a 15-20 point winger which can be counted on to play decent 2-way hockey.

This looks more like acquiring free veteran players to see us through the end of the season after we trade a few away before the deadline. Reminds me of when we claimed Mark Svatos. Same scenario.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I love this move. Have always loved Paajarvi. He Never turned into the top 6 scorer he was drafted to be but he's turned himself into a great secondary role player. A good skater and very good two way player with some skill. Can kill penalties. Sorely needed for the bottom 6.

I've been very critical of Dorion, but this is a very nice move.

I think the fact that you have always loved him has maybe blinded you from what he really has shown himself to be. 8 years into his career and he's really just been a 4th liner/healthy scratch/AHL player. Was about to go down to the AHL again, just like he did all 3 years before this one. Not much of a two way player when he doesn't produce much offense. Kills some penalties I guess, although he's never been said to be elite or anything like that on the PK, and that's a teachable skill- know where to stand, active stick, clear the puck. Scoring shorthanded takes skill, unfortunately he doesn't do that.

The move is fine, it's a standard waiver wire pickup, hopefully a change of scenery does him good.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Shawn Simpson tweeted that this seems like a move to bring in a guy to replace a player who will be traded away.

My guess is Smith for draft pick(s).

My dream is Burrows for future considerations.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation

As much as I'd love it if he FINALLY puts his game together with us, his 3rd team, we need to face the facts that he will be 27 years old at the end of this season, and he is what he is at this point -> a 15-20 point winger which can be counted on to play decent 2-way hockey.

This looks more like acquiring free veteran players to see us through the end of the season after we trade a few away before the deadline. Reminds me of when we claimed Mark Svatos. Same scenario.
I think it even adds to the chance that this trade would be with St. Louis....Sens do them a favor by taking him off waivers, one less contract and salary on the books.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Gonna assume he played for the 2010-11 Tampa Bay Lightning, otherwise, why claim him?

Makes perfect sense to claim him. We have injuries up front and are rumoured to be trading just about everybody. He's an NHL body, and for a team that is gonna potentially lose 3-4 NHLers to trades, there's value in that as a free (well 15k cost paid to STL) rental.

Plus it keeps a prospect down in Belleville to develop, instead of calling one up.

2018-01-25Erik Burgdoerfer (D)BellevilleADDReturned on loan from Ottawa (NHL)
2018-01-25Chris DiDomenico (C)BellevilleADDReturned on loan from Ottawa (NHL)
2018-01-25Chris Kelly (C)BellevilleDELReleased from PTO
2018-01-25Colin White (C)BellevilleADDReturned on loan from Ottawa (NHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hip, I thought. His knee injury happened before he was even drafted from what I recall.
Pierre McGuire talked about Cowen a few days ago, and am sure he said is was the Knee Injury that (eventually) did in his career....... either way, it was an injury, and no need for someone to take a cheap-shot at him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pierre McGuire talked about Cowen a few days ago, and am sure he said is was the Knee Injury that (eventually) did in his career....... either way, it was an injury, and no need for someone to take a cheap-shot at him.
Fair enough. He had his issues going in so he wasn't a sure thing, but without the injuries, he'd at least be playing for sure.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Paajarvi has good top-end speed, but the rest of his skating is sub-par. He will work his ass off to win icings, and he doesn't shy away from board battles. He's a good complimentary player to a 4th line, and was STL's worse version of Scottie Upshall for whenever he inevitably retired. His offense is bad. He's doesn't really have any vision, and the only way he knows how to attempt to score is via wrap-around, and it nearly always fails. He's a decent 4th liner/great depth forward that can inject some speed into a line, but that's really all he has at this point.

He's a hard worker, and a good teammate, so I wish all the best in Ottawa. I think he'll be a good add for you guys, and has a small chance (but there's still a chance) that he could become more than the above description. He's more dangerous in the AHL, so maybe he finally translates some of that game with the Sens.

You'll be needing this:

Or the gif version if you prefer:
19116b.gif

I had to search on HF for "Paajarvi Wrap Around" to find these. There were 5 pages of posts using those keywords just on the Blues' forum. It's seriously all this guy does offensively. He did have a wrist shot goal, once.

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

FWIW I heard on twitter than Craig Conroy was seen on a flight to Ottawa, since Calgary is rumoured to want Smith, that could be deal that comes to fruition this weekend? Paajarvi being the LW replacement we bring in.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
he only makes 0.8million I would be fine if the sens even extended him at that. Hell if the sens traded Smith at his current contract for example for MPS I would do it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
he only makes 0.8million I would be fine if the sens even extended him at that. Hell if the sens traded Smith at his current contract for example for MPS I would do it.
That's ridiculous, Smith is ten times the player MPS is or has ever been. MPS has never been more than a bubble player or career AHL player & for a guy his size is soft as butter. At the least he is bigger than Dumont & Dido but both these small guys are probably tougher than this big cream puff. I doubt he works out & from what we have seen of him so far in the NHL & at his age he is what he is & it's another useless acquisition by PD IMO.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's ridiculous, Smith is ten times the player MPS is or has ever been. MPS has never been more than a bubble player or career AHL player & for a guy his size is soft as butter. At the least he is bigger than Dumont & Dido but both these small guys are probably tougher than this big cream puff. I doubt he works out & from what we have seen of him so far in the NHL & at his age he is what he is & it's another useless acquisition by PD IMO. This team needs more players like Smith & less players who are so damn soft.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Free wallet, not much in it.

I would tend to agree with the assessment that this looks like a trade is brewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad