News Article: Senators claim Magnus Paajarvi on waivers from the St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I mean on paper we look pretty good. Imo
Wha? We have Matt Duchene and Bobby Ryan on our top line. Duchene is on pace for 37 points and Ryan is on pace for 42. That's insanely bad. Brassard had 39 points last year and appears to be rapidly deteriorating in front our eyes after a hot start. Smith is still in the lineup there. The whole fourth line shouldn't be on a NHL roster. That is a god awful team on the ice and on paper.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
I think the fact that you have always loved him has maybe blinded you from what he really has shown himself to be. 8 years into his career and he's really just been a 4th liner/healthy scratch/AHL player. Was about to go down to the AHL again, just like he did all 3 years before this one. Not much of a two way player when he doesn't produce much offense. Kills some penalties I guess, although he's never been said to be elite or anything like that on the PK, and that's a teachable skill- know where to stand, active stick, clear the puck. Scoring shorthanded takes skill, unfortunately he doesn't do that.

The move is fine, it's a standard waiver wire pickup, hopefully a change of scenery does him good.

I'm not expecting him to suddenly blossom into the high draft pick he was supposed to be. But even as he's struggled to score at the NHL level, he has been a very good two way player in the bottom six who can skate well and kill penalties. He's a character guy who will play his role and not complain about ice time or cause any issues. So I've liked him since his days in Edmonton.

The Blues are a pretty deep team I'm not surprised he's in and out of the lineup. For us, I think he's a definite upgrade to the bottom six. Burrows is pretty much cooked at this point. MPS is better than Dumont too. I'd rather have him in there than DiDomenico too probably. I think he'd fit well with Pageau and Pyatt.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Wha? We have Matt Duchene and Bobby Ryan on our top line. Duchene is on pace for 37 points and Ryan is on pace for 42. That's insanely bad. Brassard had 39 points last year and appears to be rapidly deteriorating in front our eyes after a hot start. Smith is still in the lineup there. The whole fourth line shouldn't be on a NHL roster. That is a god awful team on the ice and on paper.

Please answer my question. Would you rather have Matt Duchene on your team or Radulov? Zucker? Y Gourde? Marchessault? Because all those guys are on pace to crush Duchene in points this year

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Please answer my question. Would you rather have Matt Duchene on your team or Radulov? Zucker? Y Gourde? Marchessault? Because all those guys are on pace to crush Duchene in points this year
I'd take Marchessault and Zucker over him. Need to see more of Gourde. If Duchene and Radulov were the same age I'd take Radulov.

Would you still take Duchene over Mackinnon?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Radulov is probably the best player out of all those. Here's the thing, Duchene's value was high because he is viewed as a C. The problem is that he doesn't play like one. He plays like a typical winger. He has speed to burn defenders and is a guy you wanna hit in full stride. He's not the guy that should be setting up the play, his skillset is not made for that.

Radulov on the other hand is a winger, but he plays like a C. Radulov is a lot more comparable to Stone than he is to Duchene. He is extremely smart and can set up the play for his teammates, he is also a great passer and is one of the hardest working players in the NHL. I would easily take him over Duchene when talking strictly about what he brings on the ice. Of course he is older, but he was the heart and soul of the Habs last season and I have no idea how they could let him go.

Marchessault is also better than Duchene, I'm not sure about Zucker and Gourde personnally I don't know enough about them.

Duchene actually looks a lot like a stronger version of Dzingel.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't like all this talk of "upgrades" on the 4th line. We're fallin' for Dahlin aren't we? We should all hope he's just as useless as Burrows and Dumont!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'd take Marchessault and Zucker over him. Need to see more of Gourde. If Duchene and Radulov were the same age I'd take Radulov.

Would you still take Duchene over Mackinnon?

Nope not anymore. Mac has grown leaps and bounds.

But to to take Marchesault or Zucker over him is ridiculous . Stop looking at points and look at the overall talent.

Ya if Radulov was same age the argument could be made but the point is he's not.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I'm not expecting him to suddenly blossom into the high draft pick he was supposed to be. But even as he's struggled to score at the NHL level, he has been a very good two way player in the bottom six who can skate well and kill penalties. He's a character guy who will play his role and not complain about ice time or cause any issues. So I've liked him since his days in Edmonton.

The Blues are a pretty deep team I'm not surprised he's in and out of the lineup. For us, I think he's a definite upgrade to the bottom six. Burrows is pretty much cooked at this point. MPS is better than Dumont too. I'd rather have him in there than DiDomenico too probably. I think he'd fit well with Pageau and Pyatt.

Two way player insinuates he brings something offensively. Sparingly has he been able to do that. He certainty hasn't been a very good bottom 6 player or else he wouldn't have been sent down and/or in the press box so often. Let's face it, he's struggled to make it as a regular in the NHL.
He skates well so there's that. Penalty killing is what it is, he does it but most players in the league can do it if they were asked to. Upgrade over Dumont sounds about right, which isn't hard. He's not much more than that, though.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
My point I'm trying to make is that points alone don't make player A better than player B. A lot more has to do with it and coaching to me is direct result of why EVERYONE on the Sens is atrocious

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Also the fact you are even considering Y Gourde as a better player than Duchene shows your clear bias for points over watching a player and against anything Sens as usual.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nope not anymore. Mac has grown leaps and bounds.

But to to take Marchesault or Zucker over him is ridiculous . Stop looking at points and look at the overall talent.

Ya if Radulov was same age the argument could be made but the point is he's not.
What's ridiculous about that? They're both going to outproduce Duchene by a decent rate 2 years in a row and its not like they're being carried by elite players around them. I am considering talent but I also think production is very important. Not much point in bounds of talent if it doesn't result in production. I also don't think Duchene is some amazing talent. He's a good skater he can finish on odd man breaks and that's about it. He doesn't have much more to his game which is a result of his mediocre hockey IQ. Zucker is a very similar player but he's used more appropriately as winger, is younger and cheaper so I take him. I don't feel like I have to argue much for Marchessault. His play speaks for itself. Gonna get back to back 30 goal seasons, that's borderline elite in today's game. He's the leading scorer on one of the best teams in the NHL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Doesnt this kind of apply to everyone atm though? If we're using this year to assess our players, then we should be trading every damn one other than Stone and Dzingel. Everyone barring those two have been crap for most of this year. From the stars like Karl and Hoff to the scrubs like Claesson and Burrows, evryone sucks and there has to be something else going on, a team of good players dont all go sour at once.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO you can dislike the trade for Duchene, and you can dislike his production.. but I don't think you can find fault with his effort and work ethic he brings every game... He is constantly trying to create. He battles as hard or harder than any player we have... His skill level blows away any other forward we have..

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Doesnt this kind of apply to everyone atm though? If we're using this year to assess our players, then we should be trading every damn one other than Stone and Dzingel. Everyone barring those two have been crap for most of this year. From the stars like Karl and Hoff to the scrubs like Claesson and Burrows, evryone sucks and there has to be something else going on, a team of good players dont all go sour at once.

Been thinking this for a while now, like there might be some rift internally in the locker room.

The best shot I saw Erik take was that balloon ful of blue baby powder, and the happiest I've seen him this year.

I'm fearful of a Chris Pronger/Danny Heatley scenario.

Reactions: Alex1234

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Been thinking this for a while now, like there might be some rift internally in the locker room.

The best shot I saw Erik take was that balloon ful of blue baby powder, and the happiest I've seen him this year.

I'm fearful of a Chris Pronger/Danny Heatley scenario.

We would probably never find out much beyond trade requests either way but anything is possible and when you're losing every night there's more potential for stuff like that.

Our offensive numbers have been bad since Boucher took over so i dont think we should be surprised those are low again.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
We would probably never find out much beyond trade requests either way but anything is possible and when you're losing every night there's more potential for stuff like that.

Our offensive numbers have been bad since Boucher took over so i dont think we should be surprised those are low again.

My main theory/fear is that when Turris was traded, he told something to Erik. Perhaps about a personal situation that involved Erik that he may not have been aware of. They are best friends, so I could see the rationale.

Obviously we'd never know for sure, and is pure speculation but watching Erik play he looks like he's thinking about things in the ice that don't pertain to the game on the ice. More frightening than almost any physical injury.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
My main theory/fear is that when Turris was traded, he told something to Erik. Perhaps about a personal situation that involved Erik that he may not have been aware of. They are best friends, so I could see the rationale.

Obviously we'd never know for sure, and is pure speculation but watching Erik play he looks like he's thinking about things in the ice that don't pertain to the game on the ice. More frightening than almost any physical injury.

"Hey, Karlsie, there's a Kick me sign on your back."

Something like that?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

That is a lot of fuzzy area stuff you are worrying about without much supporting info.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

Wouldn't it be more likely that EK saw his best friend (again!) get treated like pure crap and shuffled out the door, and that irked him to the point that he's a bit disillusioned with hockey right now? That and he just got married, is having a kid... maybe he's just had enough of giving his left ankle for an organization that ultimately treats it's players like trading cards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would trade Pageau, Burrows, Smith, Dumont, DiDo, Thompson, Oduya, Claesson & Wideman, if possible before the deadline, for picks & prospects. Any of those who don't end up be traded I would waive after the deadline. I would also try & trade Phaneuf before next season & Anderson, if we could find a #1 goalie to replace him. Finish the yr with this group.

Hoffman - Duchene - Stone
Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan
Chlapik - White - Pyatt
Paajarvi - Paul - Gagné/McCormick

Harpur - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Phaneuf - Boroweicki/Jaros

Anderson - Condon

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Wouldn't it be more likely that EK saw his best friend (again!) get treated like pure crap and shuffled out the door, and that irked him to the point that he's a bit disillusioned with hockey right now? That and he just got married, is having a kid... maybe he's just had enough of giving his left ankle for an organization that ultimately treats it's players like trading cards.

Ockham' razor would suggest it's more likely yes, but...

EK has said his injury has really only limited his lateral agility. His playmaking and hockey IQ, his speed have remained the same. So why does it look like those traits have been compromised?

Knowing his desire to win, his fondness for luxury commodities, you'd expect he'd be playing better to strengthen his stock for his upcoming contract.

Look at the skills competition, he should just literally walk away with it. His walking is most NHL'ers full sprint in terms of talent.

Something more is off to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad