Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
I received a shipping notification from THE DATA GROUP OF COMPANIES and had no idea what it was for. Awesome to hear they are on the way! :yo::handclap:

I'm a oil kings season ticket holder and I got a notification from Canada Post that I got a package coming from the Data Group of Companies as well.

Only thing that I'm expecting to come is my season ticket...Can't wait.:handclap:

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I have no idea how to not get totally bent over by Ticketmaster or Stubhub. Kijiji seems like you're wading through tons of bullcrap but Ticketmaster adds about 10% on the seller and then almost 20% on the buyer. If you could sell them without their fees, it would be easy to move them and I'm just trying to break even after years of losing big with season's.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Ticketmaster is so corrupt. The mental gymnastics they employ to squeeze extra money. They say that they charge 10% on the seller but they take 10% after they've charged their 10%(figure that one out). So if you are selling a ticket for $100, they don't immediately charge $110(before their selling fees to the buyer), they charge $111. So it's an 11% charge to the seller and then 21.75% to the buyer. So if I were to ask for $90, they post it for $100 and then charge $121.75 to the buyer. That's around 35% markup ultimately. When you are forced to sell tickets for the undesirable teams for as low as $30-40, it adds up to just getting screwed.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
It's why it's irksome when people are irate when a Toronto or Vancouver game is filled with other fans and blame greedy season ticket holders. Well, it's because a season ticket holder has to try and make up for 5 games where they get a pittance against the Carolina and Columbus' of the league and they can get $200 a ticket for those games. It's Ticketmaster that drives those prices up to almost $300 per.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
It's why it's irksome when people are irate when a Toronto or Vancouver game is filled with other fans and blame greedy season ticket holders. Well, it's because a season ticket holder has to try and make up for 5 games where they get a pittance against the Carolina and Columbus' of the league and they can get $200 a ticket for those games. It's Ticketmaster that drives those prices up to almost $300 per.

so nothing about the greed of season ticket holders like yourself trying to make a nice profit by selling their tickets? it's just anger of where the profit is going, then? being a season ticket holder isn't supposed to be about making all your money back selling tickets instead of going to games.

if you're trying to make the big profit off popular teams, you should suck it up when not being able to sell your tickets for less popular teams.

For us non season ticket holders, we have to pay your hugely inflated price for games we want to see, and be told it's just the free market and supply and demand. etc, etc.
it's almost pleasing that we can say the same back to you when you're stuck with your Carolina tickets.
I have my choice not to pay for your tickets, you have a choice not to use ticketmaster. we all get to suck it up.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
so nothing about the greed of season ticket holders like yourself trying to make a nice profit by selling their tickets? it's just anger of where the profit is going, then? being a season ticket holder isn't supposed to be about making all your money back selling tickets instead of going to games.

if you're trying to make the big profit off popular teams, you should suck it up when not being able to sell your tickets for less popular teams.

For us non season ticket holders, we have to pay your hugely inflated price for games we want to see, and be told it's just the free market and supply and demand. etc, etc.
it's almost pleasing that we can say the same back to you when you're stuck with your Carolina tickets.
I have my choice not to pay for your tickets, you have a choice not to use ticketmaster. we all get to suck it up.

I lost about 3 thousand dollars last year(not including the games I went to)so you are just spouting off on my "greed" and being the exact person I'm talking about. You have a choice to pay $30-40 for 10-15 teams when the actual cost is $75-80 but you're complaining about not going to Calgary/Vancouver? It's like you get to rent a house for way cheaper than it is to own and you have a problem with it. I make less than the average salary in Canada and still pay for season tickets because I don't have kids and was lucky enough to buy my house pre-boom, so I can choose to put my extra money on something so frivolous.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
So what I'm saying is that I can afford to lose $3000 a year to keep banking that they will make the playoffs one day but I can't even come close to afford being able to go to $11000 of games a year, so I am not the person you are accusing me of being.

If you think anyone has been buying tickets to this team for the last decade and has been reaping profits, then you obviously don't know anyone with season seats.

Last edited:

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I almost wish they didn't provide a tracking number. I can't stop checking for updates :laugh::help:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I lost about 3 thousand dollars last year(not including the games I went to)so you are just spouting off on my "greed" and being the exact person I'm talking about. You have a choice to pay $30-40 for 10-15 teams when the actual cost is $75-80 but you're complaining about not going to Calgary/Vancouver? It's like you get to rent a house for way cheaper than it is to own and you have a problem with it. I make less than the average salary in Canada and still pay for season tickets because I don't have kids and was lucky enough to buy my house pre-boom, so I can choose to put my extra money on something so frivolous.

you just give the impression that you're mad that you're not making enough profit off your tickets, and for you the tickets are not a cost for the entertainment value, but for it's moneymaking potential. and darn them greedy ticketmaster people.

for once the talk about free market, and supply and demand work in my favor. you choose to buy those tickets. If you choose not to go to games to and want to sell tickets to subsidize your purchase, why is that our problem if you can't make the money you want?
split the tickets with friends, go to the less popular games and make your big money off the Calgary games. it's all choice.

If I want to buy your ticket to the flames, and you ask for $500 each, I have no right to cry that it isn't fair, as I have the choice to buy them or not, and the ticketmaster cost is part of that choice. If I want the tickets bad enough, I won't care. if your tickets are for crappy games, it's your price I'm concerned about, not the ticketmaster markup. obviously you don't want to go to the crappy games, so the value of those tickets isn't there even for you.

the face value of a ticket doesn't matter at this point, only the perceived value of the event, high or low.

I feel if the oilers make the playoffs and you choose to sell some tickets, you won't be making any posts about how ticket master is ripping you off, you'll just be gleefully collecting the market value of those tickets.

nobody here feels bad for me when I mention I can't afford to go to oiler games at the new arena, so forgive me if I have a hard time feeling bad when you can't sell all your tickets at the price you want as spending that money is a choice you made, for whatever reason.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I'm complaining about what I deem gratuitous gouging by Ticketmaster when they would still make a ton of money at 10%. I have no choice but to sell 3 quarter of my games and I do end up going to only the undesirable games. Doesn't change the fact that the Oiler's have been so awful for the last decade that I have no choice but to sell tickets at a loss when I do have to sell them. So if I can't complain about a 35% markup by Ticketmaster than makes me unable to sell my tickets for cost, I guess you really can't complain about not being able to afford any games. If and when the time comes, I will have no problem selling a playoff ticket because I'll have lost over ten thousand supporting this team in their down years.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Which ultimately is what you're saying. I won't feel bad for myself losing money but I won't feel bad when I try to make it back on a playoff ticket or two. I'm saying that I don't want to feel bad for selling the high demand games for profit because I'm not price gouging, I'm trying to get some money back for all the games I've subsidized this team over the years.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Not sure this is fair comment. These charges that the STH is complaining about is for offering simply an avenue of electronic transfer, a negligible cost, for which the markup is astronomical. This is basically a licence for ticketmaster, stubhub, NHL resale to print money. Keeping in mind that the original fees for tickets had already been paid. Or that the fees in many cases, even with one resale exceed what ticked events are actually worth. Its just entirely ridiculous. Prior to ticketmaster there would be a 25cent to 50cent tariff regarding ticket transactions.

The only one making money hand over fist is the ticket kings. What a racket that is.

Worse still that its all middle man involvement. With the impetus of online ticketmaster and other sellers SHOULD be out of business.

One word here. Somebody out there, that loves money should develop a proper P2P engine for tickets. Or should have. Given all the current no transfer and transfer limitations of tickets its probably a little late. Court injunctions would be required to reassert open ticket rights.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Anyone able to print their open house tickets for the 11th? I got a pair so my parents could go check it out, but it only gives me the option to transfer, not print (it's within the 48 hour window)

Compgod

Jun 22, 2015
wow what a joke!

Not unexpected, but I'm pretty disappointed. I was looking forward to those this time around, I did not get t hem last year as it was my first year with tickets.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Not sure this is fair comment. These charges that the STH is complaining about is for offering simply an avenue of electronic transfer, a negligible cost, for which the markup is astronomical. This is basically a licence for ticketmaster, stubhub, NHL resale to print money. Keeping in mind that the original fees for tickets had already been paid. Or that the fees in many cases, even with one resale exceed what ticked events are actually worth. Its just entirely ridiculous. Prior to ticketmaster there would be a 25cent to 50cent tariff regarding ticket transactions.

The only one making money hand over fist is the ticket kings. What a racket that is.

Worse still that its all middle man involvement. With the impetus of online ticketmaster and other sellers SHOULD be out of business.

One word here. Somebody out there, that loves money should develop a proper P2P engine for tickets. Or should have. Given all the current no transfer and transfer limitations of tickets its probably a little late. Court injunctions would be required to reassert open ticket rights.

I agree with this comment.

A reasonable markup would be 10% from the seller and another 10% from the buyer. Fees listed up front. That's what VANOC charged at the 2010 Olympics and seemed to do a-okay.

The other bonus to all of this is that keeping ticket sales in house the Oilers can better manage who is coming through their doors. If CanmoreMike was banned it is a little harder for me to shop for tickets or get them transfered to me under this system. It also eliminates the silliness that has probably occurred when people have made multiple copies of tickets and sold them to various people. Regardless of the punishment it is still a mess Oilers have to clean up at their front door on game nights.

Lastly, many teams have made peace with "scalpers" who take on large quantities of tickets to help reduce the inventory a team has to sell on game nights. If these new policies drive the subscriber rates down to half of what it currently is not only will the team not be making money on the secondary market that no longer exists it will also be losing money on casual ticket sales. There will be absolutely zero urgency to buy tickets until the last moment. See: Oilers 1993-1996 and Eskimos now.

There are ways for everyone to play this game and win. If the game ends though the biggest loser will be the team.

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016
I agree with this comment.

A reasonable markup would be 10% from the seller and another 10% from the buyer. Fees listed up front. That's what VANOC charged at the 2010 Olympics and seemed to do a-okay.

The other bonus to all of this is that keeping ticket sales in house the Oilers can better manage who is coming through their doors. If CanmoreMike was banned it is a little harder for me to shop for tickets or get them transfered to me under this system. It also eliminates the silliness that has probably occurred when people have made multiple copies of tickets and sold them to various people. Regardless of the punishment it is still a mess Oilers have to clean up at their front door on game nights.

Lastly, many teams have made peace with "scalpers" who take on large quantities of tickets to help reduce the inventory a team has to sell on game nights. If these new policies drive the subscriber rates down to half of what it currently is not only will the team not be making money on the secondary market that no longer exists it will also be losing money on casual ticket sales. There will be absolutely zero urgency to buy tickets until the last moment. See: Oilers 1993-1996 and Eskimos now.

There are ways for everyone to play this game and win. If the game ends though the biggest loser will be the team.

I agree completely. I like 95% of STHs need to sell some of my tickets. Just want an easy way to do it, and obviously would like to recoup as much as I can. They can corner the market with reasonable fees. Instead they make it harder to use other online services like StubHub. The Canucks only charge 5% for the seller, so teams seem to have discretion.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but the season ticket package is a snazzy little Steelbook. Also, getting hardcopy tickets printed is 5 bucks per seat per game $$$$$$$

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but the season ticket package is a snazzy little Steelbook. Also, getting hardcopy tickets printed is 5 bucks per seat per game $$$$$$$

I was worried about not getting hard copy tickets. I will admit those I have sold tickets to with the new transfer system is quite handy. Once they've been transferred and accepted the tickets are out of my hands and someone else's worry.

I don't think it'll be as bad as I worried it might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad