Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
What I have learned reading this thread is that a good number of Oiler season ticket holders for this inaugural season bought their season tickets essentially to re-sell at a break even point in hopes that they are buying low and will have something valuable in a year or two.

Excellent fan support.

I actually do think it shows excellent fan support. I lost money on 80% of the tickets I sold last year after it started becoming clear they were on their way to another turd of a season. To think that there is still a waiting list for season tickets thousands strong in Edmonton, I believe speaks to how many people still love the Oil. I think you'll see the opposite in Vancouver as they begin their ugly years at the bottom.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
What I have learned reading this thread is that a good number of Oiler season ticket holders for this inaugural season bought their season tickets essentially to re-sell at a break even point in hopes that they are buying low and will have something valuable in a year or two.

Excellent fan support.

Except the agreement stated in small print that a 10% hike is already in the offing for next year, so any realized profit would have to include that bump plus whatever the Oilers feel is fair after "a year or two". Make no mistake, Katz and the OEG will be the ones profiting from a rush on season tickets and they alone.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I've had zero success on Kijiji I don't think I will even bother reposting there. I have all my sales from this board, ticket exchange, or word of mouth.

I haven't sold a game for less than my cost yet (by that I mean what I actually take home after all the fees), but I'm sure that will happen. Trying to get rid of as many as I can before the season starts while people still have hope :laugh: If you wait until the new year if the Oilers are eliminated from the playoffs already then it's just a fire sale.

wonder how many of you who complain about not making your money back selling tickets are going to sell them at only face cost or very little higher once the team is good again. not bloody likely.
you can't complain about losing money now when you sell them for a big profit whenever you can. you guys give the impression you'll sell them for all you can and justify the big profits as something you somehow deserve.

the only recent complaint seems to be that ticketmaster is taking profit that is rightfully yours.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Excellent fan support.

Nah, just that present day prices, for a lot of people, makes it hard to justify digging in deep and going to all the games. What this results in is people shares of tickets, selling tickets, rotating tickets in family, among friends or business. 15K/ season ticket is a stratosphere. Whether one has the dough or not its an expensive night out to justify so many of them. Its not the same thing as the old days where people go see 50 games.

The Oilers should accommodate more in terms of offering up a ******** of 10 games and so packages. Rather than STH (which should now be minority) the Minipacs should be the mode of various amount of games. The Oilers would make more money that way too. Give more people a chance to have bought tickets.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Nah, just that present day prices, for a lot of people, makes it hard to justify digging in deep and going to all the games. What this results in is people shares of tickets, selling tickets, rotating tickets in family, among friends or business. 15K/ season ticket is a stratosphere. Whether one has the dough or not its an expensive night out to justify so many of them. Its not the same thing as the old days where people go see 50 games.

The Oilers should accommodate more in terms of offering up a ******** of 10 games and so packages. Rather than STH (which should now be minority) the Minipacs should be the mode of various amount of games. The Oilers would make more money that way too. Give more people a chance to have bought tickets.

The Canadiens offer a half season of season tickets, I think this would be a popular option. I agree most of us can't justify the cost to go to every game so splitting or selling tickets is the best option.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

So you think the Oilers should take the seats away from season seat holders? :help:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Excellent fan support.

Edmonton Oilers seasons tickets aren't an investment.

Sure there are a handful of people that are buying Oilers tickets solely to scalp, but I'd guess that would be way less than 1%.

Doing that as a business idea doesn't even seem that great given the amount of time it takes to flog all of the tickets. The return on investment would be pretty crappy.

The vast majority of season ticket holders are spending way more than they ever get back.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

This is way off.

The only reason people are willing to buy tickets that aren't profitable and that they may not necessarily 'want' but still buy is that the dream of attending a Stanley Cup Finals winner take all game 7 at face value comes with full season tickets. 10 game plans don't offer that. You better believe that people who have season tickets and keep and renew them factor future playoff runs into their decision even in down years.

People will knowingly take 20-30% losses if not more to keep a hold on that dream of having Stanley Cup Finals tickets at face value. They are not going to sign up to lose money just to go to 10 games a year that would cost less on stubhub.

That kind of thinking is WAAAAYYYYYY off. People think 15000 season tickets sold means 15000 fans buying for every game. Totally false that is about 4-5000 accounts with 2+ tickets each. Take away the companies and you have 3-4000 hardcore fans who buy tickets pretty much no matter what. There are probably another 2000 people willing to buy every year no matter what and 100,000 people who would buy if the team is good and profitable. There is no way they should change their selling strategies to accomodate folks who only want them when the team is good.

As a Bruins season ticket holder I feel very very lucky that I was able to upgrade my seats this year into locations I am willing to pay for during crappy seasons. The benefits of having season tickets weren't really worth it in my old seats just not good enough Im very happy I get to sit on the blueline and not corners/end.

Bcsw721

Nov 17, 2015
I have open house tickets for tomorrow at 1:00 now that i want to go at 12. Does anybody know if they will let me in at 12?

Bcsw721

Nov 17, 2015
The Oilers office only open Monday to Friday, does anybody know if there are another way to reach the office on the weekend?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
what can i do?

Go when you can, they'll let you in. Not sure why people here are giving you these answers.

Today for instance they even announced that if people were late just lineup for the next timeslot. When in reality by the time we arrived at 11:40 for our noon time slot they weren't even doing timeslots. They changed it to continual admission ongoing to avoid thousands of people packed in Ford Hall.

Really if you have a ticket they will let you in.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is way off.

The only reason people are willing to buy tickets that aren't profitable and that they may not necessarily 'want' but still buy is that the dream of attending a Stanley Cup Finals winner take all game 7 at face value comes with full season tickets. 10 game plans don't offer that. You better believe that people who have season tickets and keep and renew them factor future playoff runs into their decision even in down years.

People will knowingly take 20-30% losses if not more to keep a hold on that dream of having Stanley Cup Finals tickets at face value. They are not going to sign up to lose money just to go to 10 games a year that would cost less on stubhub.

That kind of thinking is WAAAAYYYYYY off. People think 15000 season tickets sold means 15000 fans buying for every game. Totally false that is about 4-5000 accounts with 2+ tickets each. Take away the companies and you have 3-4000 hardcore fans who buy tickets pretty much no matter what. There are probably another 2000 people willing to buy every year no matter what and 100,000 people who would buy if the team is good and profitable. There is no way they should change their selling strategies to accomodate folks who only want them when the team is good.

As a Bruins season ticket holder I feel very very lucky that I was able to upgrade my seats this year into locations I am willing to pay for during crappy seasons. The benefits of having season tickets weren't really worth it in my old seats just not good enough Im very happy I get to sit on the blueline and not corners/end.

This is the Edmonton board you know. People here don't buy STH with watching a SC final in mind. The prospect of playoffs here has been a holy grail. What you're saying really doesn't apply to Edmonton.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
This is the Edmonton board you know. People here don't buy STH with watching a SC final in mind. The prospect of playoffs here has been a holy grail. What you're saying really doesn't apply to Edmonton.

It totally applies. There are benefits to being a season ticket holder that do not apply to being a ticket pack holder. It's a several year wait to even get season tickets. Most season ticket holders (and Oilers fans in general) have hope that the team will be better in the future than they have been and will value their tickets more then.

Replacement, you are not a season ticket holder and seem to think that those of us who are are either stupid for wasting our money or out to make a buck off of other fans. Why are you the most active poster in this thread?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It totally applies. There are benefits to being a season ticket holder that do not apply to being a ticket pack holder. It's a several year wait to even get season tickets. Most season ticket holders (and Oilers fans in general) have hope that the team will be better in the future than they have been and will value their tickets more then.

Replacement, you are not a season ticket holder and seem to think that those of us who are are either stupid for wasting our money or out to make a buck off of other fans. Why are you the most active poster in this thread?

I haven't once said STh are trying to make a buck. I've actually DEFENDED STH in this thread several times. Read through the thread.

Section337

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I cannot remember any offer, which included Oilers Bucks this year, during renewal. Up until this year, it was used as an incentive to put a down payment on tickets within the first N days of them being offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->