Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I actually feel that Couturier gets down low and gets to the net quite a lot at ES. This is why he scores at a reasonable rate at ES. When he's out on the perimeter on the PP he has a significantly lower rate of relative production, and the team might be better served moving him in front of the net on PP2.

If Gagner was in the team I would like to see them try this set-up.

Gagner-Couturier-Laughton
MDZ-Medvedev

I don't think Read is very useful on the PP, so with Gagner out I would try.

Couturier-Raffl/Umberger-Laughton
MDZ-Medvedev

I will go bump the Laughton thread but I'm sick of him not getting PP time while Manning is out there fumbling around at the point.

I've pondered putting Couturier at the net and Gagner along the wall as well. Gagner has the offensive skill to make that work, but the downside is that I'd expect him to lose a lot of battles. As I see it, while Couturier is likely the best net front option, he is also the best at puck possession, a skill lacking elsewhere on PP2. If you put him at the net, then that unit is likely getting cleared out even more.

At the end of the day we just may not have enough depth to construct two productive PP units.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think we'll need at least one more forward too; whether it be Laughton stepping up or someone drafted, like The Neck.

Yeah Konecny will be out there with some combination of Couturier, Laughton, and whoever else the bring in like Auston Matthews.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Right, but earlier in his career he would use his shot more effectively. I haven't seen his shot in some time, a shame because it's above average.

I just don't think it's useful or interesting to simply say Couturier should be better. Doesn't really dig into context. Sure, Couturier could be better, but what does that mean? About as pointless as yelling at players to shoot.

That's why there are substantive criticisms brought up beyond "he needs to play better!"

"Playing better" in this case means being more assertive and more aggressive with the puck. For example, he'll often carry the puck into the zone and drive wide effectively, but he'll settle for a low percentage shot on goal rather than attacking the net hard on the rush. He's capable of doing this (eg, his rush that led to the OT penalty against Carolina the other day), but he just needs to have that mentality more consistently. He's a very capable puck carrier, and I feel his skill set in that regard could be harnessed better with that mentality.

I think that's a fairly substantive and reasonable criticism that isn't at all like yelling at players to shoot.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
That's why there are substantive criticisms brought up beyond "he needs to play better!"

"Playing better" in this case means being more assertive and more aggressive with the puck. For example, he'll often carry the puck into the zone and drive wide effectively, but he'll settle for a low percentage shot on goal rather than attacking the net hard on the rush. He's capable of doing this (eg, his rush that led to the OT penalty against Carolina the other day), but he just needs to have that mentality more consistently. He's a very capable puck carrier, and I feel his skill set in that regard could be harnessed better with that mentality.

I think that's a fairly substantive and reasonable criticism that isn't at all like yelling at players to shoot.

That's a bit better, however, I think that's a consequence of usage. Couturier was brought into the NHL after juniors. He's had little opportunity to develop his offensive game. Understandable that he's not very confident in the offensive zone, no? He could be better but he's only now getting more offensive zone starts.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's a bit better, however, I think that's a consequence of usage. Couturier was brought into the NHL after juniors. He's had little opportunity to develop his offensive game. Understandable that he's not very confident in the offensive zone, no? He could be better but he's only now getting more offensive zone starts.

Plus I do think he plays a bit cautious because in the back of his mind, he knows his linemates and more importantly our D will not cover for him if he is making mistakes that lead to scoring chances.

He may never get a true chance at being an offensive player if no one can help lessen the load on the defensive side.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Sweet solace watching Couturier win another head to head matchup with the Swedish demigod.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I bet that Couturier finishes on 39 points thanks to that missed empty net. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His 5v5 CF% on the year is now ~58% after today.

Which is top 10 amongst NHL forwards.

His relative CF% will be 3rd best amongst NHL forwards after tonight I reckon...

All while having:

~27% OZ starts
~34% DZ starts
~39% NZ starts
Some of the toughest QoC in the NHL (~10th toughest rel QoC amongst NHL C's before tonight)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His 5v5 CF% on the year is now ~58% after today.

Which is top 10 amongst NHL forwards.

His relative CF% will be 3rd best amongst NHL forwards after tonight I reckon...

All while having:

~27% OZ starts
~34% DZ starts
~39% NZ starts
Some of the toughest QoC in the NHL (~10th toughest rel QoC amongst NHL C's before tonight)

No wonder you get banned from threads.
You keep confusing people with facts and statistics instead of throwing out unsubstantiated opinions.
Shame on you! :sarcasm:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Yeah Konecny will be out there with some combination of Couturier, Laughton, and whoever else the bring in like Auston Matthews.

No one said anythign about this so.....

i_see_what_you_did_there_by_bdog375-d51sz7w.jpg

No wonder you get banned from threads.
You keep confusing people with facts and statistics instead of throwing out unsubstantiated opinions.
Shame on you! :sarcasm:

Someone seriously banned him from a thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad