Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
IMG_0061.JPG
73.1% of statistics are made up on the spot

Reactions: Stizzle

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Flyers have a good coach but the players can't play the system for more than a period.

This is the season Hakstol's system has the Flyers breaking 100 points in the regular season and then winning the first two rounds in the playoffs and people finally realizing he always knew what he was doing.

Reactions: hatcher

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Experienced veterans were limited to Couts, Ghost, Voracek, Simmonds and Raffl and of course everyone's favorites, Filppula, Lehtera, Read and MacDonald,

People disregard Pittsburgh's depth AND experience, they had 3 solid lines coming off two SC campaigns.
And their "young" players were 23 years old (Maata, Guentzel, Murray), Rust (25), Oleksiak (25), Sheary (25), Dumoulin (26), Sheahan (26).
It was a similar story when we faced Washington two years before, a team that went to the playoffs every year with little youth:
Only Kuznetsov (23), Orlov (24) played major minutes, while Burakovsky (20) and Wilson (21) played 12 minutes a night.

Meanwhile Flyers rolled out Ghost (24), Provorov (21), Patrick (19), TK (20), Laughton (23), Sanheim (21), Lindblom (21)
Provorov, Patrick, TK, Sanheim and Lindblom had no NHL playoff experience, the others had 6 games.

Experience matters, both NHL and playoff experience. Toronto has struggled two straight years in the playoffs despite elite talent.

Combine inexperience and lack of depth with putrid goaltending, and the question is how did we take the Pens to 6 games.

A good young player is always better than a bad old one though.

Statistically, from an underlying perspective, the worst Flyers in the series were:

Lehtera
Weise
Manning
Read
Lindblom
Gudas
Filppula
MacDonald

All at 41% ExGF and under... only one is a "young" player.
And ofc the goalies who were abysmal.

Apart from Lindblom the rest were also poor in the regular season (well, Gudas good 1st half, bad 2nd). It was no great surprise they were not good in the playoffs either.

Now the kids were not good either. But they were not the main problem. A lot of the sub-par vets were.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was both, the kids weren't ready and there weren't enough quality veterans to carry them.
This is why I was against big moves this summer, this team is still two years away, you need to promote more kids and get them some playoff seasoning.
And why we may be better off keeping Simmonds for this season, just to provide experienced depth while we work in more kids.

When you have three solid, experienced lines, you can bring up players like Farabee and O'Brien and Ratcliffe and . . . without asking them to make major contributions their first couple years. Same on defense, if Sanheim and Myers settle in the next couple years, you can plug in Hogberg or Ginning or Friedman as your 6th defenseman without losing a beat.

Players like Patrick are different, really talented kids can contribute almost immediately (though even Nico struggled in the playoffs as a rookie).

When you look at the potential 2020 roster, you'll have a nice mixture of veterans (Giroux, Voracek, JVR), experienced players (Couts, Ghost, Provorov, TK, Patrick) and young kids on the rise (Frost, Farabee, O'Brien, Ratcliffe, Allison, Sanheim, Myers).

Doesn't mean we can't catch lightning in a bottle, who knows, maybe Neuvirth's new trainer can keep him healthy through 20 playoff games!
But plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Doesn't mean we can't catch lightning in a bottle, who knows, maybe Neuvirth's new trainer can keep him healthy through 20 playoff games!
But plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I'd settle for him not pulling a hammie eating his first before game meal.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
A good young player is always better than a bad old one though.

Statistically, from an underlying perspective, the worst Flyers in the series were:

Lehtera
Weise
Manning
Read
Lindblom
Gudas
Filppula
MacDonald

All at 41% ExGF and under... only one is a "young" player.
And ofc the goalies who were abysmal.

Apart from Lindblom the rest were also poor in the regular season (well, Gudas good 1st half, bad 2nd). It was no great surprise they were not good in the playoffs either.

Now the kids were not good either. But they were not the main problem. A lot of the sub-par vets were.

100% This. Veteran doesn’t imply “steady and reliable”. Has to be one of the biggest falsities in hockey.

I’d rather let the kids learn while making mistakes vs crappy vets who can’t improve.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is which kids.

Not every prospect is uber-talented like Provorov, TK, Patrick.
Some are better marinated, even if it means having to watch some bad veterans.
As Lindblom showed, a talented young player can be overwhelmed in the playoffs his first time around with limited experience under his belt.

Our best playoff forwards were Couts, Simmonds and Laughton, Giroux and Voracek were meh, and TK and Patrick struggled a bit
Our best defensemen, Provorov was great, Ghost was OK, Sanheim and MacDonald were meh, Gudas and Manning were black holes.

Most of our kids were a year or so away from stepping up and pushing veterans out of the way.
Odds are, had they played more, they would have looked a lot worse.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I think Couturier coming off a knee injury, may force Giroux to start the year as a center
I also think JVR and G. would work well together. I know i post a lot if lines, but tell me that isn't 4 strong lines.

JVR -- Giroux -- Voracek
Laughton -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Lindblom -- Patrick -- Konecny
Raffl -- Vorobyev -- Weise

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Couturier coming off a knee injury, may force Giroux to start the year as a center
I also think JVR and G. would work well together. I know i post a lot if lines, but tell me that isn't 4 strong lines.

JVR -- Giroux -- Voracek
Laughton -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Lindblom -- Patrick -- Konecny
Raffl -- Vorobyev -- Weise

KrazyKat after posting these wacky lines:

1HCd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad