Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Crazy how he gets more points when playing with better players than Read and Umberger.

4pts in 4 games and +6 since Jake joined his LW.
But it's no question that Voracek and Simmonds have been the two best players on the 2nd line. They're looking great together.
Couturier obviously does get more points now, but he's still looking awkward at times in the offensive zone. I really wish he would be a tad more dynamic.

Still I like that line a lot and I hope Hakstol won't change his lines for the time being.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That line would be a good line in the playoffs to wear down the opponents dmen. They have the ability to cycle like we have not had in a long time.

Something that I have not seen mentioned is this. Moving Jake to LW gives the other teams a different look. In the past few years, they know that our offense is coming from C/RW. And those RW match up against the LHD of the other teams which tend to be stronger overall.

So now adding a LW that can force RHD or right playing D under pressure is a good thing and I think has gone unnoticed. We have teams that have targeted our right side D in years past as they were weaker. Having Jake on LW gives teams a but more things to have to worry about.

Sorry to post it in the Couts thread, but just remembered to share it. Couts is the defensive fallback for those wingers but he fits them well.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His advanced stats are even better than ever this year as well (his minutes have not got one iota easier... he gets the same amount of Ozone starts as ever, ~3% less Dzone starts but marginally tougher QoC than last year.):

25.8% Ozone starts
35.5% Dzone starts
Comfortably toughest QoC on team

yet:

55.1% CF (best on team)
+5.8% CF rel (2nd to Giroux on team)
63.98 CF/60 (best on team)

His penalty killing shot suppression stats are just freakish:

34.04 SA/60 (2nd in NHL)
69.17 CA/60 (1st in NHL)

-15.10 SA/60 rel (1st in NHL)
-20.23 CA/60 rel (1st in NHL)

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
His advanced stats are even better than ever this year as well (his minutes have not got one iota easier... he gets the same amount of Ozone starts as ever, ~3% less Dzone starts but marginally tougher QoC than last year.):

25.8% Ozone starts
35.5% Dzone starts
Comfortably toughest QoC on team

yet:

55.1% CF (best on team)
+5.8% CF rel (2nd to Giroux on team)
63.98 CF/60 (best on team)

His penalty killing shot suppression stats are just freakish:

34.04 SA/60 (2nd in NHL)
69.17 CA/60 (1st in NHL)

-15.10 SA/60 rel (1st in NHL)
-20.23 CA/60 rel (1st in NHL)
Yeah but wouldn't you much rather have someone not nearly as reliable defensively but can put up 10-15 more points per year? :sarcasm:

Sure, we might give up 30 more goals, but it's just sexier to have a TRUE 2nd line center based on their total points

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah but wouldn't you much rather have someone not nearly as reliable defensively but can put up 10-15 more points per year? :sarcasm:

Sure, we might give up 30 more goals, but it's just sexier to have a TRUE 2nd line center based on their total points

I try to explain this to people all the time. Couturier is going up against the oppositions best players and outscoring them. What more do we need?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People wanted more points out of him and now they're getting it. All it took was giving him real linemates.... Who could've guessed? :sarcasm:

I’ll even go ahead and predict that in about 27 months from now he’ll hit 70 points and be the 1C all year, with Giroux on his left wing and Konency (who is a top 6 winger) on his right.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Real linemates or our two best wingers? Giroux can elevate the play of his linemates. Im not asking sean to do it to that degree but ideally thats what you want.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's doing exactly what I'd expect when put with our two best wingers, producing points, helping to cover their weaknesses, and not falling behind. The three of them have given us a source of offense that isn't 100% reliant on Giroux, which is all I care about.

I don't care if he can't carry a line by himself, as long as he can be amazing defensively and produce points when put in a position where he's expected to, all's well in the world.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Real linemates or our two best wingers? Giroux can elevate the play of his linemates. Im not asking sean to do it to that degree but ideally thats what you want.

He's not holding them back in the slightest.

This is why when you say you don't have it out for Couturier, we know you're lying.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's not holding them back in the slightest.

This is why when you say you don't have it out for Couturier, we know you're lying.

There is not a single player on the team this season who has a better CF% away from Couturier than he does away from them. http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1509&withagainst=true&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

He has been the biggest 'possession' driver on the team this season... largely due to how good he has become at shielding pucks, working the boards and cycling... but also as he has became faster since coming into the league and is far better at effecting zone entries than he used to be.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I posted this in the GDT, there are a couple of times in each game where Coots makes little plays that he amazes you with his hockey IQ

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Couts is one of those players that we should not have to defend his impact to our team....especially to other Flyers fans.

I only wish his and Voracek's contract lengths were reversed....him for 8, Jake for 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad