Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Fazio and Ernst will always be the constant two of the three OA's in the line up. It will be a revolving door between Lajeunesse and Schlicting unless they don't dress Fazio if they plan on playing Hughes and Coffin happens to not have a game for the Legionnaires.

Here's another question....whose your captain? I'm thinking Ernst or possibly Rymsha.

IMO it is Ernst.He showed grit and determination last year and came to preseason prepared to be a leader. NOW this is based on what he does on the ice. Last year I seen mentoring some of the young D on the ice and off which I liked. Now I am not sure about his off ice leadership only because I don't know.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Hatcher played 1/2 of last season with only 6 D so Kelton could be a top 6 defenceman and play every night. Now with Spinozzi and King gone he defaults to a top 4 role along with Calvas as long as Ernst is still a forward. Kammerer and Henderson need to be fast tracked to top 4 minutes with Grima and Schlichting

It's very early days yet but I've been impressed with I've seen from Kammerer so far. He's very poised for a 16 year old defenceman. I could see him moving up the depth chart pretty rapidly once he gets used to the league.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
It's very early days yet but I've been impressed with I've seen from Kammerer so far. He's very poised for a 16 year old defenceman. I could see him moving up the depth chart pretty rapidly once he gets used to the league.

One thing about our D.There is no top 4. Based on ability,they are all 1-8 and can move up or down the depth chart at any given time.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
10 PP for the Storm through 2 periods already. Some very weak calls both ways. Hardly seen any 5 on 5. Good to see OHL officiating is still garbage as per usual. 2-2 going into the third. Game could go either way if the refs let the teams play.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Guelph is an up and coming team. Could see this one going to a shootout. Will be interesting to see which OA's are in the lineup tonight besides Fazio.

good call on the shootout!

4-3 Sting win in SO.

Fazio with 32 saves for the W. PP was 1/5 and PK was 8/9 (5 on 3 goal against)

Line of Salinitri, Ruzicka and Leufvenius looked pretty good together. I think Leufvenius is going to be a stud. Strong on the puck, plays well at both ends and has a hard shot and some nifty hands.

Gotta give big credit to Schlicting...ties the game on a nice end to end rush going bardown. Threw some big time hits and played a solid, uncomplicated game.

It wasn't pretty but its a win and a great way to start the season.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
good call on the shootout!

4-3 Sting win in SO.

Fazio with 32 saves for the W. PP was 1/5 and PK was 8/9 (5 on 3 goal against)

Line of Salinitri, Ruzicka and Leufvenius looked pretty good together. I think Leufvenius is going to be a stud. Strong on the puck, plays well at both ends and has a hard shot and some nifty hands.

Gotta give big credit to Schlicting...ties the game on a nice end to end rush going bardown. Threw some big time hits and played a solid, uncomplicated game.

It wasn't pretty but its a win and a great way to start the season.

Congrats to Connor on a strong game.Hoping he can finally put a strong season to gether.So Troy was the odd man out last night.What about tonight??.I guess it depends if Houghes is in or Fazio.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Good effort last night. Fazio played great and is obviously going to be very important for the success of the team moving ahead. ( It's also nice to see that the Sting have finally put a goaltender in the system who they actually developed and has played his whole career in Sarnia - the first time in 20 years !).
Have to give the defence credit for playing a very good game. I thought Schlicting and Calvas in particular played really well as did Grimas. Gotta believe the fact that Schlicting was wearing a letter last night that he will be a a mainstay in the lineup for the rest of the season.
As for the forwards I thought Salinitri was by far the standout player for the Sting. When Kyrou gets back I could see those two putting up a lot of points on PP.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Congrats to Connor on a strong game.Hoping he can finally put a strong season to gether.So Troy was the odd man out last night.What about tonight??.I guess it depends if Houghes is in or Fazio.

Lajeunesse might just be the odd man out again tonight. Schlicting played waaaay to good last night to turn around and sit him tonight. I really don't see them playing Hughes against Kitchener who has a more gifted offense then Guelph does so Fazio will likely start. Ernst wasn't as visible as usual last night so the only way Troy gets in is if they decide to sit Ernst...which IMO I doubt that. I would like to see Troy given a chance to prove he's just as valuable as the rest of the OA's.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Horrible game tonight. Fazio was the only exception. The Calvas roughing penalty put a fire under our ass for about 5 minutes then we just reverted back to a Sunday leisure skate. Granted we are missing a couple of key pieces and played in Guelph last night but those are very poor excuses. Looks like Troy is going to be the odd man out this season. We also had very poor puck control and were really weak the few times we had players on the point. The no goal that would have tied it for us sealed our fate. Can anybody who was watching on TV shed some light on if it was actually a goal or the right call?

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Kyrou is the only piece missing. Granted a huge piece. All this talk about how bad our D is but where's this offense that everyone raves about? 4 goals in 2 games not including shootout. D's haven't given up much in 2 games. Faz been a stud.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Kyrou is the only piece missing. Granted a huge piece. All this talk about how bad our D is but where's this offense that everyone raves about? 4 goals in 2 games not including shootout. D's haven't given up much in 2 games. Faz been a stud.

Rees also missing along with Jakovljevic.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

I havent read much about anybody Raving about our offense.Yes I think there is a bunch on here thinking they should be decent.Should improve when Kyrou providing that he doesnt come back with a bad attitude because he didnt make it.Hopefully it will be an attitude of wanting to lead this team.Congrats on our D for playing beyond expectations so far.Long season yet.We are only 2 games in.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I havent read much about anybody Raving about our offense.Yes I think there is a bunch on here thinking they should be decent.Should improve when Kyrou providing that he doesnt come back with a bad attitude because he didnt make it.Hopefully it will be an attitude of wanting to lead this team.Congrats on our D for playing beyond expectations so far.Long season yet.We are only 2 games in.

He will be playing for a spot on the Canada Junior team. He's always been a selfish player IMO but this is the year he can change that and show he belongs playing in the NHL and for his country.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Kyrou sent back to Sarnia from STL camp. Sting also making some sort of "major" organizational announcement shortly...I'm thinking it a new score board.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
A new scoreboard was one of the requirements the Sting was told to get before they could actively try for the memorial cup.Maybe putting together a team that could get by the first round of playoffs also.lol

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sting just announced a new LED state of the art scoreboard and 400 foot LED banner to be installed this December at the arena. No final cost but in excess of $500,000. The Sting are covering the cost by the sounds of it so that's good news for fans. Looks like Hatcher and Legwand are committed to keeping the team in Sarnia.

Reactions: OSA and BoxerMax

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Sting just announced a new LED state of the art scoreboard and 400 foot LED banner to be installed this December at the arena. No final cost but in excess of $500,000. The Sting are covering the cost by the sounds of it so that's good news for fans. Looks like Hatcher and Legwand are committed to keeping the team in Sarnia.

That should be good news as far as keeping the team in Sarnia for a while. The old one was getting worn out. Other teams use the scoreboard to get the fans more involved in the game.Hope that allows the Sting staff to engage the fans more.
On a side note,Lyle12 seems to have disappeared with the trading of Troy.HMMM,he said he had no connections.LOL

Reactions: Ferda11

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Any predictions for the weekend? Full squad (if Rees plays) and catching Fronts on a back to back and 67's on a 3 in 3. I'm calling 2 wins 5-3 and 6-2 respectively.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Any predictions for the weekend? Full squad (if Rees plays) and catching Fronts on a back to back and 67's on a 3 in 3. I'm calling 2 wins 5-3 and 6-2 respectively.

I'm optimistic that the boys can pull off two wins as well. Kingston should be the tougher of the two games. I'll take a stab at the scores.

Sting 4 vs Fronts 2
Sting 7 vs 67's 3 (Hughes in net, If Fazio then 7-1)

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Kyrou named Captain, Rymsha and Schilicting named assistants.

Really didn't see kyrou as a captain...doesnt scream leader to me. I thought Ernst was the guy....he doesn't even get a A....kinda shocked

Reactions: Sauceboss

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Completely shocked Kyrou get's the C as well. He's never been a team player always worrying about himself and putting blame onto line mates and never on himself. Many games last year I saw a lack of effort especially on D along with a shaking or down head. Salinitri or Fazio should wear the C.

Reactions: Sauceboss

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Looks like a good team to make a run this year. Just need to shore up that defence a bit. Sinclair should look at adding a guy like Sambrook early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad