Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Saw last pre-season game vs Spits . Sorry, Kelton played the same as last year ,slow, NO aggression, time for him to play JR B.With all the forwards
ice time is at a premium for the new kids . Maybe a good time to trade OA Troy Lajeunesse , Connor S. and free up 2 spots . Its a disservice to have so many players hanging around waiting for some real game ice-time . We all know who the core will be, and the emphasis will be on a quicker squad, that is the way the OHL is going

New in town, saw both home dates but had to chime in on what I've reading in the last few days or so. Anyone who puts any stock into anything preseason needs to relax a little. Let's wait and see what this team looks like when everyone returns from camp. I do agree that this team is weaker on D but simply because our top 4 is mediocre at best. Dman 5 through 8 (bottom 4) has 2 16yrolds and 2 17yrolds. These kids would be better served playing a better top 4 but unfortunately this isn't the case. 2 or 3 rookies will be dressed every night. Great way to learn but a lot to ask from 4 rookies trying to adjust to the league. Starting Goaltending looks great but show me a great team and I'll show you great goaltending. Fazio looks like he can carry the load. Hopefully he stays healthy. Sting look set at F provided

everyone stays healthy also. Long year fellas, let's reevaluate after 10

games and give this team a chance before we write them off in preseason.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
Saw last pre-season game vs Spits . Sorry, Kelton played the same as last year ,slow, NO aggression, time for him to play JR B.With all the forwards
ice time is at a premium for the new kids . Maybe a good time to trade OA Troy Lajeunesse , Connor S. and free up 2 spots . Its a disservice to have so many players hanging around waiting for some real game ice-time . We all know who the core will be, and the emphasis will be on a quicker squad, that is the way the OHL is going

they could os traded him last year saginaw and Windsor made offers but Sinclair did not do it , keeping 4 oa wont work Wake up hatcher.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Only McGregor, Salinitri and Josling have been returned thus far.

There is no doubt that we have a very good group of forwards and a legit #1 goaltender. Hughes is one of those goalies that every shot on goal on him has a 50/50 chance on going in...no matter where the shot comes from. Fans sure as hell don't have confidence in him when he's on the ice so I highly doubt his teammates do either.

Yes our D is not great. I think Grima and Henderson are both going to be great next season. I think Schlicting has been doing a good job and is our top D man at the moment...which isn't comforting I get that. Hatcher just isn't good, Calvas I don't even know what to think yet. Jakolivic or whatever his name is doesn't make sense how he even made this team, he's been beat countless times in preseason and the rookies are just that...rookies. Not sure what the Sting brass plan on doing but Hatchers comments about winning the division title based on the current roster has no credibility at the moment. Fazio can't play every night and our D is missing at least 1 top 2 d-man and 1 top 4 d-man to consider a division title.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont

There is no doubt that we have a very good group of forwards and a legit #1 goaltender. Hughes is one of those goalies that every shot on goal on him has a 50/50 chance on going in...no matter where the shot comes from. Fans sure as hell don't have confidence in him when he's on the ice so I highly doubt his teammates do either.

Yes our D is not great. I think Grima and Henderson are both going to be great next season. I think Schlicting has been doing a good job and is our top D man at the moment...which isn't comforting I get that. Hatcher just isn't good, Calvas I don't even know what to think yet. Jakolivic or whatever his name is doesn't make sense how he even made this team, he's been beat countless times in preseason and the rookies are just that...rookies. Not sure what the Sting brass plan on doing but Hatchers comments about winning the division title based on the current roster has no credibility at the moment. Fazio can't play every night and our D is missing at least 1 top 2 d-man and 1 top 4 d-man to consider a division title.

:handclap::)

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016

3 of 4 returning defenceman wouldn't make any other team but the sting

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
I think the fan base has a right to be concerned regarding their defensemen. I think Fazio is one of the better goaltenders in the OHL, which it's a down year for goaltenders, but he's going to get shelled on some nights.

There are a lot of teams needing defensemen. Flint paid a price to get Matinen and that shows the demand for D.

Taking a look at Sarnia's D, I like Grima and Kammerer is promising down the road. Ideally, Grima is your 3/4 defender and Kammerer gets spot duty until his feet are wet.

It was surprising that Sarnia didn't target an import defensemen this season.

Taking a look at their depth chart, i think the holes are as follows...

Number 1? - Number 2?

Schlicting (#4) - Grima (#3)

Henderson (#5) - Calvas (#6)

Hatcher/Kammerer/Hogue/Jankovljec (rotating in and out of the lineup).

Big holes to fill. Team lacks a defensemen who can play the tough minutes defensively.

If there was ever a time that Sarnia could use Quinn Hughes and Mattias Samuelson to show up, its NOW.

Interested to see how it plays out in Sarnia because their forward group is strong (trade bait?) and number one goaltender is solid. It's not too often you see teams built with such a glaring weakness.

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016
I see Alex Black will be sporting an A this year in Peterborough. He would have been a valuable asset this year.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
I think the fan base has a right to be concerned regarding their defensemen. I think Fazio is one of the better goaltenders in the OHL, which it's a down year for goaltenders, but he's going to get shelled on some nights.

There are a lot of teams needing defensemen. Flint paid a price to get Matinen and that shows the demand for D.

Taking a look at Sarnia's D, I like Grima and Kammerer is promising down the road. Ideally, Grima is your 3/4 defender and Kammerer gets spot duty until his feet are wet.

Number 1? - Number 2?

Big holes to fill. Team lacks a defensemen who can play the tough minutes defensively.

If there was ever a time that Sarnia could use Quinn Hughes and Mattias Samuelson to show up, its NOW.

Interested to see how it plays out in Sarnia because their forward group is strong (trade bait?) and number one goaltender is solid. It's not too often you see teams built with such a glaring weakness.

Sting badly need more of a veteran prescence on the blue line and they have an extra forward overager in Lajeunesse.
He is a good player and should generate some decent interest around the league for any teams that have room for an OA or want an upgrade of what they have on offence.
I would think that Sinclair could maybe package him up with a pick to get a pretty decent veteran defenceman.
Hopefully, a deal like that would look nothing like what Flint gave up for Mattinen. That was highway robbery by the Knights.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Number 1? - Number 2?

Chances of Hatcher rotating in is nill. We have to accept he is the coaches and owners son and will fill your #1 spot. Now you can trade Troy with maybe 1 of our budding draft players for a quality d man.OR do you trade Ernst and a draft or draft player and get even a better Dman.Hate to see Ernst go but deserves to go to a contender

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Chances of Hatcher rotating in is nill. We have to accept he is the coaches and owners son and will fill your #1 spot. Now you can trade Troy with maybe 1 of our budding draft players for a quality d man.OR do you trade Ernst and a draft or draft player and get even a better Dman.Hate to see Ernst go but deserves to go to a contender

Don't think there's anyway that the coach's son gets slotted into the number one slot.Way too much scrutiny for something like that and Hatcher is no dummy.

Having said that IMO I think the management is overestimating what they think they have have as a top 4 defence. The idea that you keep 8 guys around and the 4 thru 8 guys battle for the last 2 spots is a bit presumptuous. That idea assumes that 1 thru 4 are locked in and from what I've seen so far the whole depth chart looks pretty wide open.
It's a crap shoot but given how thin the D looks I think the team should bite the bullet and let the young guys play. Even if the fans don't like it. It will pay dividends down the road. I believe both Kammerer and Hogue will be key pieces in the future.I'd like to see 4 sixteen year olds on this team this year.

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Don't think there's anyway that the coach's son gets slotted into the number one slot.Way too much scrutiny for something like that and Hatcher is no dummy.

Having said that IMO I think the management is overestimating what they think they have have as a top 4 defence. The idea that you keep 8 guys around and the 4 thru 8 guys battle for the last 2 spots is a bit presumptuous. That idea assumes that 1 thru 4 are locked in and from what I've seen so far the whole depth chart looks pretty wide open.
It's a crap shoot but given how thin the D looks I think the team should bite the bullet and let the young guys play. Even if the fans don't like it. It will pay dividends down the road. I believe both Kammerer and Hogue will be key pieces in the future.I'd like to see 4 sixteen year olds on this team this year.
Good point. One could also interprete them keeping 8Dmen because they feel the "so called" top 4 is not a true top 4. Opportunity is there for Henderson, Hogue and Kammerer to develop and work themselves into the lineup as the season progresses. Let's face it our top 3-4 is a dime a dozen. I'm with you, play the 16/17 year olds and live with the growing pains this year. This team should be competitive and good enough to make the playoffs but probably won't be enough in the Western Conference anyways. They've got a real good crop of 2017 draft picks. Game experience will serve them well down the road.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Drake Rymsha has been assigned back to Sarnia today. Not sure if he'll be back for tomorrow game in time or not. Just Kyrou remains at NHL camp with the Blues

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Drake Rymsha has been assigned back to Sarnia today. Not sure if he'll be back for tomorrow game in time or not. Just Kyrou remains at NHL camp with the Blues

Kyrou (95% sure) will be sent down Sunday night/Monday after our three games in a row (fri-sat-sun). They said cuts will be down from 44 to 32 at that time. I suspect that includes kyrou as he has 0% chance of making the Blues opening night roster.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Pretty sad when the team can't even sell out their home opener therefore are running a buy 1 get 1 free for all tickets to the home opener. Also would anybody be willing to split the cost of OHL live for the Sting with me? It will be around $90 each for all Sting games this year. I'll use my card and whoever wants to split with me can email money transfer their half.

vouve

Dec 8, 2015

ummm.

sudbury, barrie.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I'm thinking the 1st 10 games will be the information Nick needs to decide where he goes with this team this year. With 7 home games, if the Sting aren't 7-3 or better, I am sure there will be no trade for a defenceman. Instead, it will be a learning year for the young kids and Kyrou, Fazio and maybe other's will slowly be traded off to build for next year.

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Pretty sad when the team can't even sell out their home opener therefore are running a buy 1 get 1 free for all tickets to the home opener. Also would anybody be willing to split the cost of OHL live for the Sting with me? It will be around $90 each for all Sting games this year. I'll use my card and whoever wants to split with me can email money transfer their half.
InSul1nImp - If you split the cost of OHL Live, you will have to take turns watching. You can stream with only one device at a time.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Game Day. Sting @ Storm 7:30pm.

Everyone back except Kyrou. Predictions for tonight?

I got Sting coming out on top 5-3.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011

Guelph is an up and coming team. Could see this one going to a shootout. Will be interesting to see which OA's are in the lineup tonight besides Fazio.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

I think Guelph is stronger than you think but also I believe their top 3 or 4 are still at camp.I am thinking 6-3 with an empty netter for Guelph. Depending if Fazio can bail our D out.Its disappointing to me to hear coaching staff talk and not admiiting we have D struggles.Oh well,Play hockey

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I think Guelph is stronger than you think but also I believe their top 3 or 4 are still at camp.I am thinking 6-3 with an empty netter for Guelph. Depending if Fazio can bail our D out.Its disappointing to me to hear coaching staff talk and not admiiting we have D struggles.Oh well,Play hockey

Yes, I believe they still have some key pieces at camps. My prediction is based of that and Fazio having a good game.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Yes, I believe they still have some key pieces at camps. My prediction is based of that and Fazio having a good game.

I like Bobbygore question. Which overagers tonight. Connor, Ernst and Fazio my guess unless they want to try some extra rookies on D sit Connor and showcase Troy or Ernst for trade bait.

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016

Hatcher played 1/2 of last season with only 6 D so Kelton could be a top 6 defenceman and play every night. Now with Spinozzi and King gone he defaults to a top 4 role along with Calvas as long as Ernst is still a forward. Kammerer and Henderson need to be fast tracked to top 4 minutes with Grima and Schlichting

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I like Bobbygore question. Which overagers tonight. Connor, Ernst and Fazio my guess unless they want to try some extra rookies on D sit Connor and showcase Troy or Ernst for trade bait.

Fazio and Ernst will always be the constant two of the three OA's in the line up. It will be a revolving door between Lajeunesse and Schlicting unless they don't dress Fazio if they plan on playing Hughes and Coffin happens to not have a game for the Legionnaires.

Here's another question....whose your captain? I'm thinking Ernst or possibly Rymsha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad