Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
The chances of Hogue going to Jr B are Zero . Ever. Sorry, give your head a shake .Might want to go with OHL scouting over the one exhibition game you saw and everything else that goes along with it .

I wish there was a like button for these comments. Very well said. :handclap::yo:

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
funny... looking at the lineup, and if not mistaken, my first observation is that our team is really not built on draft. 50% is visa trades and FA seem to make the crux of the lineup
I not sold on hughes between the pipes... show me something to make me believe
Only 4 out of the 21players you have listed came thru trades ( Rymsha , Salinitri. Grimas, and Calvas ) which is encouraging because by far most teams that have had success in the league have done it building thru the draft.
Previous management was notorious for making knee jerk reactions trading players combined with bad drafting which has led to 20 plus years of futility.
IMO the current management has done a pretty good job except for the Konecny trade and drafting Weiss in the first round(which was downright embarrasing ).
This current draft class looks to be something that the team can really build on.
Having 2 full time hands on owners is also a big leap forward.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
funny... looking at the lineup, and if not mistaken, my first observation is that our team is really not built on draft. 50% is visa trades and FA seem to make the crux of the lineup
I not sold on hughes between the pipes... show me something to make me believe

I'm far from being sold on him either but it looks like he is our number 2 as Coffin has been assigned to the Legionnaires.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
i dont y people are sold on #20 he will get hurt again then we are done on d and i dont know y Ernst his not playing on d we need help back there first and McGregor cant play on the top line no wheels anyways whatever hatcher wants i guess.

Like I said, He needs to step up and produce right off the bat and I think putting him on the top line will give him every opportunity to do so and hopefully give him confidence. He has been working with the leafs in the off season on his skating specifically.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Only 4 out of the 21players you have listed came thru trades ( Rymsha , Salinitri. Grimas, and Calvas ) which is encouraging because by far most teams that have had success in the league have done it building thru the draft.
Previous management was notorious for making knee jerk reactions trading players combined with bad drafting which has led to 20 plus years of futility.
IMO the current management has done a pretty good job except for the Konecny trade and drafting Weiss in the first round(which was downright embarrasing ).
This current draft class looks to be something that the team can really build on.
Having 2 full time hands on owners is also a big leap forward.

i think i also said FA... last year was an embarrassing year for draft... and samuellson too

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
i think i also said FA... last year was an embarrassing year for draft... and samuellson too

If we are going to say taking a shot at high end picks is an embarrassment, don't forget about Quinton Hughes from the 2015 draft. :sarcasm:

I don't mind Nick taking shots at high end talent. Being that they didn't give up on Weiss for another 1st rd pick this year, either they thought they had a good chance this year to get him to report, or they think he could join the team after he was drafted into the NHL. (i.e. Conner Murphy or Josh Jacobs)

Dream land time, now if we could get all 3 to report next year, that would be crazy.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
If we are going to say taking a shot at high end picks is an embarrassment, don't forget about Quinton Hughes from the 2015 draft. :sarcasm:

I don't mind Nick taking shots at high end talent. Being that they didn't give up on Weiss for another 1st rd pick this year, either they thought they had a good chance this year to get him to report, or they think he could join the team after he was drafted into the NHL. (i.e. Conner Murphy or Josh Jacobs)

Dream land time, now if we could get all 3 to report next year, that would be crazy.

i think trading hughes Quinton that is to Mississauga to play with his brother might be a smart move... at leas recoup something

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Both Kyrou and Rymsha left their last games at rookie camps with injuries so that's great......

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Hughes lit up for 5 goals and is pulled half way through the 2nd period....same old story with him.

Another 2 shorthanded goals so far tonight against us...that's 5 total in 3 games.

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016
Hughes lit up for 5 goals and is pulled half way through the 2nd period....same old story with him.

Another 2 shorthanded goals so far tonight against us...that's 5 total in 3 games.

This is what I would expect to see regularly unless trades are made to upgrade the blueline.

vouve

Dec 8, 2015
lit up for two shorthanded and blame the goalies?

nice.

Last edited:

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

Ferda, Did he look bad on all 5 goals?

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016
Ferda, Did he look bad on all 5 goals?

Unfortunately they weren't all Hughes fault if any. After the preseason the Sting PP ranks #16 and the PK ranks #20 registering a whopping 50% success rate. Hatcher dreams of winning the west and has said that he wants a feisty team this year and he doesn't plan any further cuts. Feisty teams usually have to be good on the PK. With Ernst now playing his natural position at forward, there are 8 candidates left. The team is deeper at forward, but not deep enough to compensate for the weak D corps.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Unfortunately they weren't all Hughes fault if any. After the preseason the Sting PP ranks #16 and the PK ranks #20 registering a whopping 50% success rate. Hatcher dreams of winning the west and has said that he wants a feisty team this year and he doesn't plan any further cuts. Feisty teams usually have to be good on the PK. With Ernst now playing his natural position at forward, there are 8 candidates left. The team is deeper at forward, but not deep enough to compensate for the weak D corps.

Rooster the preseason stats are just that, preseason. Lets wait till this team has everybody back. Yes they are weak on D no doubt. A lot depends on Fazio and his ability to bail the team out. I hate putting pressure on a goalie like that.Our backup situation looks weak. We just cant blame the D as we have some awesome skating forwards who could help this weak D out by simply picking up a man on the way back but haven't done that in years. I blame the coaching staff for not demanding that from the forwards. Heaven forbid they miss a shift or 2 until they get it.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
Rooster the preseason stats are just that, preseason. Lets wait till this team has everybody back. Yes they are weak on D no doubt. A lot depends on Fazio and his ability to bail the team out. I hate putting pressure on a goalie like that.Our backup situation looks weak. We just cant blame the D as we have some awesome skating forwards who could help this weak D out by simply picking up a man on the way back but haven't done that in years. I blame the coaching staff for not demanding that from the forwards. Heaven forbid they miss a shift or 2 until they get it.

massey need oinion who will be gone by friday for game in gueplh whos in and out thanks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

not sure that fiesty teams win, usually its all skill, or skill with some bite.

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016
not sure that fiesty teams win, usually its all skill, or skill with some bite.

"Hatcher doesn't plan to make many cuts once players return from NHL camps.

“We plan on carrying a few extra this year,†he said. “Our defence right now, we have eight defencemen and we probably plan on carrying eight defencemen, to be honest with you, and letting them battle for that fifth and sixth spot on a daily basis.â€

Here is the complete article:

http://www.theobserver.ca/2017/09/16/sting-aiming-for-west-division-title-2

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
"Hatcher doesn't plan to make many cuts once players return from NHL camps.

“We plan on carrying a few extra this year,†he said. “Our defence right now, we have eight defencemen and we probably plan on carrying eight defencemen, to be honest with you, and letting them battle for that fifth and sixth spot on a daily basis.â€

Here is the complete article:

http://www.theobserver.ca/2017/09/16/sting-aiming-for-west-division-title-2

sorry but we cant compete with does 8 guys on d very weak defencive :cry::cry:

NewB

Feb 23, 2017

New in town, saw both home dates but had to chime in on what I've reading in the last few days or so. Anyone who puts any stock into anything preseason needs to relax a little. Let's wait and see what this team looks like when everyone returns from camp. I do agree that this team is weaker on D but simply because our top 4 is mediocre at best. Dman 5 through 8 (bottom 4) has 2 16yrolds and 2 17yrolds. These kids would be better served playing a better top 4 but unfortunately this isn't the case. 2 or 3 rookies will be dressed every night. Great way to learn but a lot to ask from 4 rookies trying to adjust to the league. Starting Goaltending looks great but show me a great team and I'll show you great goaltending. Fazio looks like he can carry the load. Hopefully he stays healthy. Sting look set at F provided everyone stays healthy also. Long year fellas, let's reevaluate after 10 games and give this team a chance before we write them off in preseason.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I agree preseason is meaningless as a predictor for the upcoming season, but it does shed light on what's coming down the road in terms of the young players and how they play and handle certain situations. With that said this is how I think things shake out

Goal - If Fazio goes down this season is over. I have zero confidence in the back up and am somewhat surprise it's Hughes.

Defense - perhaps the worst collection of D in the entire league. I hope the coaching staff comes up with a game plan that will shield them. Probably not a bad game plan to have 2 forwards who have previously played D in Ernst and Sproviero

Forwards - No problems here. A good mix with plenty of depth. The Sting will probably need to win 5-4 most nights, Kyrou will likely be at the very top of league scoring this year

Coaching/Management - I was pleasantly surprised with Hatcher's first season and not at all impressed last year. This year would be his biggest chore in many respects so we'll see in the end. If bench presence means anything Legwand looks like a great addition. Hughes, Weiss, Samuelson are all big league swings that so far have not panned out. Generally I'm in favour of this type of gamble but if they never connect maybe its time to rethink the strategy.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
I agree preseason is meaningless as a predictor for the upcoming season, but it does shed light on what's coming down the road in terms of the young players and how they play and handle certain situations. With that said this is how I think things shake out

Goal - If Fazio goes down this season is over. I have zero confidence in the back up and am somewhat surprise it's Hughes.

Defense - perhaps the worst collection of D in the entire league. I hope the coaching staff comes up with a game plan that will shield them. Probably not a bad game plan to have 2 forwards who have previously played D in Ernst and Sproviero

Forwards - No problems here. A good mix with plenty of depth. The Sting will probably need to win 5-4 most nights, Kyrou will likely be at the very top of league scoring this year

Coaching/Management - I was pleasantly surprised with Hatcher's first season and not at all impressed last year. This year would be his biggest chore in many respects so we'll see in the end. If bench presence means anything Legwand looks like a great addition. Hughes, Weiss, Samuelson are all big league swings that so far have not panned out. Generally I'm in favour of this type of gamble but if they never connect maybe its time to rethink the strategy.

your right on about def core sarnia are in big trouble back there fazio better be good everynight . :cry::cry::cry::help::help::help:

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Any word on who's been returned by NHL clubs for this weekend's openers in Guelph Friday and Saturday in Sarnia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad