Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Big test up in OS coming up tomorrow night. I think this next stretch of 3 games will give us a good indication of how good the Sting are/aren't. OS and Barrie both have equally as good fire power up front. Let's see if our guys can match and our young D can handle it. I'd expect Fazio gets OS and Barrie and Hughes gets Hamilton on Monday.

Agreed.This will be a big test. Will also be interesting how staff will react if we don't fair well. There is going to be a lot of sellers in the league this year so the early bird may get the worm if they are thinking of moving Kyrou or Fazio. Lots of teams not happy with their goaltending.Good Luck Sting

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
Uncle Dave better hire some real referees. The officiating in the Attack game is atrocious. Fazio hurt and down on the ice for a lengthy period and no whistle blown allowing Owen Sound to tie up the game.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Watched this game from start to finish. Never have I ever seen such a poor officiated game!! absolutely horrendous!!!!! Even the OS tv guys were speechless.

BIG W though!!! 6-5 in shootout although it shouldn't have ever gotten to that point thanks to the refs. I usually don't ever blame the stripes but they took one away when they shouldn't have and they gave one away when they shouldn't have.

Fazio went into full beast mode in the 3rd and OT. Deserves big time credit. Ruzicka played fantastic, Hinz with another goal tonight and the PK stays hot. Big confidence booster for the team.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I'm a season ticket holder in OS and that officiating was such a disservice to both Sarnia and OS fans and players. Congrats on the win. Kyrou is a monster out there holy hell. lol. Hes going to tear this league up.

Reactions: OSA and Ferda11

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Agreed poor officiating. The refs both missed the call on Gadjovich injury and called back a Sting goal.
It was the linesman who called that penalty. Interestingly they never rolled the clock back.

The Sting took full advantage of several turnovers by Attack dmen, which resulted in 3 goals on 3 consecutive shots.

I could hardly blame rookie goalie Mack Guzda, making his 1st OHL start.

He stopped 4 of 5 in the shootout, which included the linesman backing into Kevin Hancock during his shootout attempt.

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Full marks to Sting despite terrible refereeing that could have cost them the game. Should have won that game in reg. Faz continues his strong play. Kyrou & Ruzicka were dominant. Kammerer might have been best Dman on the night. Hatcher -3 on the night as he looked slow and sluggish.
PP struggled again despite going 1/5. Only goal was on a weak backhand on a broken play by Ruzicka. A true #1 stops that puck.

Huge 2pts early in the year and good to bank points, tough place to win in OS. Great start to the year. Year looks promising so far.

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
Full marks to Sting despite terrible refereeing that could have cost them the game. Should have won that game in reg. Faz continues his strong play. Kyrou & Ruzicka were dominant. Kammerer might have been best Dman on the night. Hatcher -3 on the night as he looked slow and sluggish.
PP struggled again despite going 1/5. Only goal was on a weak backhand on a broken play by Ruzicka. A true #1 stops that puck.

Huge 2pts early in the year and good to bank points, tough place to win in OS. Great start to the year. Year looks promising so far.
Hatcher on the pk in overtime lol what a joke.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
After 5 games each in the OHL, the Sarnia Sting are tied for 1st place in the OHL with 8 points. Who would have thought

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I must apologize to our defensive group. They are playing much better than I thought they would be. Fazio has bailed them out but they are still playing decent. Nice to see Theo and Connor much improved this year. Theo needed some ice time coming from the Soo. The biggest surprise has been our rookies more so Krammerer. I also want to see more of Henderson and maybe less of Hatcher if that could be possible. Hatcher has shown some flashes with his size but seems to be slow on his feet. Our forwards are playing at expectations or even above. Kyrou seems more disciplined and Ruzicka can be a beast out there. The forwards are exciting t watch.I hope the fans get back to the arena to enjoy.This could be an interesting ride

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I cannot for the life of me understand why Henderson sits while Jakovljevic plays. Henderson is so much better with puck movement and speed.

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Jakov is clearly the #8 Dman from what I've seen so far when you look at skill and speed (Let's leave Hatcher out of this because he's not going anywhere and we know why) Many teams do carry 1 undersized Dman with skill and speed to run a PP and be a puck moving Dman. Both Henderson and Hogue fit that profile. Unfortunately for Henderson, Hogue was drafted early this year to fill the void this team had when King moved on. Sarnia has a lot invested in the 16yr old Hogue and Sarnia hopes that he can be that guy in the years to come. He's not there now and it is a work in progress but as time goes on he'll be the guy as he gets game experience to adapt to league. Completely agree that Henderson is a better player than Jakov but it becomes a numbers game on the backend.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Enough about hatcher being bad, he's fine as a #6 dman on this team if they use him as that.... that jakovljevic guy makes hatcher look like an all star... I remember him at the black and white game , and being like wow I feel bad for this kid watching guy after guy skate around him, like that kid wouldn't even make the legionnaires.. and he gets more playing time then Henderson! That's my only concern with this team, release that guy and give Henderson more ice time

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
4-1 win vs Barrie.

For a game that I thought would be high paced and exciting this one was a snoozer!! Very sloppy play for both teams. Difference tonight was Fazio and the PK which is exactly what we need when our forward group is having an off night. Might be time to get that PP unit some more practice time. It needs to be better. Ruzicka continues to come up big. Good to see Rees in the line up for his first career game, congrats on your first OHL assist. He didn't look out of place but did seem a little sporadic at times but that's to be expected.

Hamilton up next on Monday afternoon...should be interesting to see the turn out for that..lol

massey

Sep 5, 2012
4-1 win vs Barrie.

For a game that I thought would be high paced and exciting this one was a snoozer!! Very sloppy play for both teams. Difference tonight was Fazio and the PK which is exactly what we need when our forward group is having an off night. Might be time to get that PP unit some more practice time. It needs to be better. Ruzicka continues to come up big. Good to see Rees in the line up for his first career game, congrats on your first OHL assist. He didn't look out of place but did seem a little sporadic at times but that's to be expected.

Hamilton up next on Monday afternoon...should be interesting to see the turn out for that..lol

I sure wouldnt call it a snoozer. High pace 1st as Barrie was fast.Barrie's goalie came up big in the 1st to keep them in the game.Penalities slowed the second.Theo got a lucky bounce as Barrie was pressing.Yes there was some sloppy play but overall performance I would take. Fazio came up big when needed.Typical game call by #4 and #34. Two of the worst in the OHL. I also like Rees and he looks like the real deal.Give him a few more games.Sting players got a little selfish and into trouble.Where was Henderson.GRRR. I crinche every time Hatcher plays the puck or hes on the ice.Yikes.We can only hope he improvesI cant think of another OHL team that has as strong as 4 forward lines as the Sting with the addition of Rees. Turnout for the Monday. LOW. LOL

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
I sure wouldnt call it a snoozer. High pace 1st as Barrie was fast.Barrie's goalie came up big in the 1st to keep them in the game.Penalities slowed the second.Theo got a lucky bounce as Barrie was pressing.Yes there was some sloppy play but overall performance I would take. Fazio came up big when needed.Typical game call by #4 and #34. Two of the worst in the OHL. I also like Rees and he looks like the real deal.Give him a few more games.Sting players got a little selfish and into trouble.Where was Henderson.GRRR. I crinche every time Hatcher plays the puck or hes on the ice.Yikes.We can only hope he improvesI cant think of another OHL team that has as strong as 4 forward lines as the Sting with the addition of Rees. Turnout for the Monday. LOW. LOL

Both teams looked sloppy I thought. Game had no flow due to penalties. Sting Forwards did have an off night except Ruzicka but nowhere near as bad as Barrie forwards. Faz was a rock again tonight. PK has to be up there with the best in the O. Our PP is struggling. Forwards being too selfish down low. A few undisciplined penalties that need to be cleaned up. A win is a win. They all count. Great start to the year.

Reactions: Ferda11

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sooner or later we are going to get a wake up call playing one of the better teams in the league.Our defense is still suspect & these fancy little passes inside our own blue line are going to end up in the back of our own net.We need players who can skate out of our own zone & then pass the puck.Fazio played great & it's good to see the young players like Rees get ice time.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sooner or later we are going to get a wake up call playing one of the better teams in the league.Our defense is still suspect & these fancy little passes inside our own blue line are going to end up in the back of our own net.We need players who can skate out of our own zone & then pass the puck.Fazio played great & it's good to see the young players like Rees get ice time.

We just played two of the better teams in the league and won.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

I agree on the stupid little passes.Make them count.Not sure you can get 2 better teams in Barrie and OS in the OHL other than Soo and Rangers maybe. Our PP is about #7 and PK is #2 or 3. Yes they can improve but thats pretty good rankings and why we have a team at the top for now

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The season is only 6 games old & it's a nice start but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.Many teams have players away with nhl teams & 6 games isn't really a good sample size to be planning the parade route just yet.

Go Sting Go !

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
The season is only 6 games old & it's a nice start but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.Many teams have players away with nhl teams & 6 games isn't really a good sample size to be planning the parade route just yet.

Go Sting Go !

We are Sting fans, not Leafs fans...no parade planning going on here. We are all well aware that regular season success doesn't lead to playoff success for this franchise.

No one is getting too far ahead of themselves at all, just a little excitement and surprise that the team has gotten off to a good start and has taken down some good teams doing so.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

Sting blow a 4-0 lead & squeak out a 6-5 win in OT vs The Bulldogs.A win is nice but this defence is giving me fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad