Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Looks like a good team to make a run this year. Just need to shore up that defence a bit. Sinclair should look at adding a guy like Sambrook early.

They would need to shore up the back end quite a bit. A top 2 and top 4 at least. Also a more reliable back up then Hughes.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
They would need to shore up the back end quite a bit. A top 2 and top 4 at least. Also a more reliable back up then Hughes.

Ya the D needs some help. Sambrook and Cam Dineen would be exactly what the Sting need and would be a solid top pair. Sambrook could probably be had for picks but I'm not sure how you can add Dineen without including Rees, and that has to be off the table. Boy the Tyler Weiss pick is really hurting now.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Ya the D needs some help. Sambrook and Cam Dineen would be exactly what the Sting need and would be a solid top pair. Sambrook could probably be had for picks but I'm not sure how you can add Dineen without including Rees, and that has to be off the table. Boy the Tyler Weiss pick is really hurting now.

Rees defiantly is out of the question. I think Hatcher thinks the back end is good enough for a division. I think he's delusional.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
He is delusional. Schlichting and Grima would make a nice 2nd pair ideally. You could probably play Schlichting on a top pair if you had to, but he'd need to be paired up with a very strong RD.

Reactions: Ferda11

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Completely shocked Kyrou get's the C as well. He's never been a team player always worrying about himself and putting blame onto line mates and never on himself. Many games last year I saw a lack of effort especially on D along with a shaking or down head. Salinitri or Fazio should wear the C.

Great post and totally agree.I am also that they gave an A to Connor.Sorry but he hasnt did much for the team in 4 yrs.I get he has had injuries but there were many more worthy candidates.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Great post and totally agree.I am also that they gave an A to Connor.Sorry but he hasnt did much for the team in 4 yrs.I get he has had injuries but there were many more worthy candidates.

I'm curious how this must have made guys like Salinitri and Ernst feel? Seems like a kick in the face. Personally my thoughts were,

C - Ernst
A - Salinitri
A - Rymsha

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
I think you wrong about Connor S. He had early career injuries. Wait and see but he will be a good leader. Making Kyrou a C is like the same when they make Gally a C. Captains lead by example. Ernst captain? He plays with an edge but does not lead, and salinity? Are you kidding me? Rimshaw is one of three but still not captain material. When will our #1 pick play?

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
That first period showed us how young and inexperienced our D can be. But holy crap did the boys come out flying in the 2nd. Fantastic game by Ruzicka, Kyrou, Rymsha, Sali and Leufvenius up front. Solid play by Schlicting and Calvas on the blue line. Hatcher with some big time hits and Hogue moved the puck very well. I still much rather see Henderson in the line up then Jakoleovic. He was burned numerous times. Just doesn't have the speed.

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
Sting F's showed why they were a top 5 in GF last year. Lots of firepower and still without Rees who will add more. Should fill the net this year again.

Faz I thought was a little shaky early but found his game and made the big saves.

What I'm going to be calling D by Commitee (DBC) has stood the test early on. I agree Schlicting and Calvas have played solid so far. Hatcher showed well last night because he was physical. Kammerer & Hogue despite being 16 year old rookies look like they are fitting right in playing safe, solid defense first hockey. I agree, Hogue does move the puck very well. Grima not getting a ton of ice but playing well so far. Jakoliovic, well... is a big body but not sure he's ready yet. Henderson this is a mystery. He should be in lineup ahead of Jako as he also moves the puck very well. DBC is off to a solid start but lots of hockey left. 67's should be prime for the taking today. 3rd in 3 days.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
We just need to clean up our end.Too many passes in our own zone with too many turnovers.Young core back there so it will take time. Kyrou played great,maybe he knows that he needs to use his linemates more and he did that last night.At the same time he is the go to forward on this team that will lead by example.You don't always need to be vocal to be a leader but not all leaders do it that way.

Schlerk

Aug 31, 2013
Sarnia
Stings offence showed what it is capable of vs Fronts. Hatcher played well back there, made a great mid ice hit, flattened some guy; Fronts didn't like it one bit, either. Ernst took 2 for boarding but showed that coming into Sarnia you are going to get knocked around. Good to see that. No issue whatsoever with Kyrou as 'C'' in fact I like that move. He was all over the ice and made great dishes, not 'selfish' at all, that set up goals. The better Kyrou plays the better this team plays and the better this team is going to do. All in all a great job out there. Keep it rolling today.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I think you wrong about Connor S. He had early career injuries. Wait and see but he will be a good leader. Making Kyrou a C is like the same when they make Gally a C. Captains lead by example. Ernst captain? He plays with an edge but does not lead, and salinity? Are you kidding me? Rimshaw is one of three but still not captain material. When will our #1 pick play?

No way you can put Kyrou in the same category as Galy.Galy worked hard on EVERY shift and never chewed out his fellow players on the ice or bench.Some of Kyrou's antics on the ice last year with his point streak was totally inexcusable. What is done is done for this year as far as C and let's hope Jordan adjust his attitude and realize he has other team mates and can be a true leader

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Glad to see new scoreboard etc. One that we can raise for concerts if we ever get another decent artist here. :popcorn:

Getting concert and events to come to Sarnia will be extremely difficult.i have been to almost everyone and the attendance was very disappointing.I left these events shaking my head why the area didn't support them.Yes Elton was sold out in a few minutes but other acts didn't come close.Sounds like Sarnia staff didn't help the last promoter who was trying to get something happening. Hard to beat events at Caesars or bud gardens.Hope ur right

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
7-2 over the 67's....13 goals for in two game this weekend, 4 against. This is fun hockey to watch. Great weekend! Props to a well rounded team effort!

massey

Sep 5, 2012
7-2 over the 67's....13 goals for in two game this weekend, 4 against. This is fun hockey to watch. Great weekend! Props to a well rounded team effort!

Good post.agreed.well rounded performance.nice to see Hendersom playing today.We had supper beside Brady Hinz and his billets tonight.Young lad was very happy of his 1st star and an awesome kid to visit with.
Defence made a few mistakes but overall did there job.Hughes came up big when it was needed.We need those big defence to continue to use their size and knock them down.Kammerer impressed me.He is going to fit in nicely

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
The crowds are nothing new. The Sting never draw well on Sundays and they never draw well when playing Eastern Conference teams which makes no sense to me being it will be the only time they are in town all season. I think you will see the crowds pick up slowly as the season moves on.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Who would have thought after 4 games that Theo would be leading the league in +/- at 7. Good job.

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Two great games this weekend, keep it up and the fans will come back. Happy for Hughes that he had such a good game, a little shaky at first, but he made some unbelievable saves! Team looked really good.

Reactions: massey

NewB

Feb 23, 2017
No surprise here. 13 GF this weekend and only 4 GA. He's also logging top 2D minutes. I've seen quotes from the team saying they want their D playing D and anything they chip in is gravy. Not sure why I've seen Calvas get roasted on this forum at times but he's been a rock so far. DBC has stood the test so far but 2 good tests in OS and Barrie are on schedule next. Both with some firepower like Sarnia. Great start to the year nonetheless.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Getting concert and events to come to Sarnia will be extremely difficult.i have been to almost everyone and the attendance was very disappointing.I left these events shaking my head why the area didn't support them.Yes Elton was sold out in a few minutes but other acts didn't come close.Sounds like Sarnia staff didn't help the last promoter who was trying to get something happening. Hard to beat events at Caesars or bud gardens.Hope ur right

City council turned down an event that would have put $40K in the coffers instead of not rescheduling hockey games that bring in hardly anything.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Big test up in OS coming up tomorrow night. I think this next stretch of 3 games will give us a good indication of how good the Sting are/aren't. OS and Barrie both have equally as good fire power up front. Let's see if our guys can match and our young D can handle it. I'd expect Fazio gets OS and Barrie and Hughes gets Hamilton on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad