Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Jeff King played his 1st pro game as his Orlando Solar Bears defeated the South Carolina Stingrays by a score of 4 to 3 in ECHL action.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Since 2000, there have been 4 players drafted 1st overall that made the NHL after playing only 2 seasons in the OHL. 3 of those players were drafted by Sarnia.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I'll be rooting for your 12th round pick: Will Redick 5'4" 128 lbs. and born on Christmas day.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Hogue and Craft were featured (reports) in my draft primer (courtesy the guys at TheScout).

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/04/2017-ohl-priority-selection-primer.html

Hogue looks like a very interesting pick who could eventually be a replacement for what the Sting are losing with Jeff King as puck moving defenceman. Sounds like he's a naturally gifted player with all kinds of hockey sense.
Have to wonder with his extremely small stature ( 5' 7'') whether he'll be able to handle the heavy going playing against much bigger and older players. His first year or so may be pretty tough in the defensive end.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2017-ohl-priority-selection-seven-to-watch

Watch the video of Jamieson Reese

OHL Central Scouting says: Jamieson is one of the elite players in this year’s Priority Selection. He is a skilled center that is dangerous every time he has the puck on his stick. He is a good skater with deceptive speed and he always manages to win races to loose pucks. He is dangerous off the rush with his speed and uses elusive one-on-one moves and great vision to make plays. Jamieson makes all the players around him better. He shoots the puck very well with a quick release and can pick corners with accuracy.

Alexandre Hogue is highly touted as well.

OHL Central Scouting says: Alexandre is one of the most highly skilled defencemen in this year’s Priority Selection. He loves to have the puck on his stick and makes things happen when he has it. Alexandre is a creative puck mover who is dangerous on the power play. His great vision and passing ability allows him to find teammates and thread passes through tight spaces. He is never afraid to join the rush and try to create plays in the offensive zone. He is a very smart player with a great understanding of the offensive side of the game.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
I think this years draft was Sarnia's best draft in the past 6-7 years. I know the '14 Draft brought Chychrun/Kyrou and good later picks in Sproviero and Fulcher, but Chychrun was an easy pick at #1 and in terms of the value they got for their picks and depth in terms of who could become OHL talent, this could be their deepest and most successful overall draft in a very long time.

Jamieson Rees is top 3-4 player from Ontario in the draft terms of pure talent, but he's a little small. He can be a little perimeter on some occasions but he knows how to score, and finds ways to produce. Not the same player, but for Sarnia fans that don't see a lot of other teams except when they come into the PASA, Kyrou type of player wouldn't be a bad comparable.

Alexandre Hogue, he gets Anthony DeAngelo comparisons, I disagree with that. Ryan Merkley is more of a DeAngelo to me. I remember DeAngelo's draft year he was a top 5 prospect for the OHL Draft and arguably the best offensive D available at the time. I think he's more like a higher end version of Jeff King. Great skater, great puck rusher, high skilled, creates offense but loves to jump up in the rush and can get caught deeper in the offensive zone. Will need to work with coaches on when to jump up and when not to, but he could become a point per game defenseman down the line, but again he's very small.

Brayden Guy, again if I'm going to make a comparison, I think maybe Drake Rymsha is the closest. Again he's not the same player Rymsha was in his draft year, but for fans to try and compare the two, he plays the same type of game. Good sized kid, he's got a hard shot, plays a tough two-way game, finished his checks, his skating was not good early on and he improved a lot. Still needs work but all in all he could become a very good two-way forward for Sarnia who can rack up some goals as he gets older.

Justin McCombs was probably my favorite pick they made. Some scouts saw him as a first rounder earlier on in the season. He got a wrist injury and some tagged him unfairly as "injury prone" maybe that dropped his stock, but we had him as an early second rounder by the end of the year and Sarnia got him mid third. Smart, playmaking forward who is creative, makes quick decisions, but he's a little small.

Colton Kamerrer is another player I thought would get picked in the second round and Sarnia got him in the third. Already has good size at 6'0" smart two-way defender, smart with the puck, plays a strong two-way game, right handed shot, I think he could potentially walk in next season and play, he's a late birthdate as well which is a bonus.

I think all of their top 5 picks could be solid players at the OHL level.

Two other picks I liked..

Ethan Langevin, has the potential to be a top goaltender in this draft. he's a little small but he's very quick, anticipates well, he was on fire at the Border Battle in November in Sarnia. Big upside.

Case McCarthy, best defenseman in the draft in my opinion. Great skater at 6'01" does it all at both ends. He's great with the puck, has a shot from the point, tough to beat defensively, plays physical, he's likely a high NHL pick, if they can find a way to get him he's a top 5-6 player in this draft class.

Nolan DeGurse was the local pick. He has great hands and can score, but he's 5'06.5" and isn't a strong skater. If he can either grow or improve his skating to the point it needs to be, he could be a player. He's competitive and he's got talent but that's the area that will determine whether or not he makes it. He's a late birthdate which is a positive.

Last edited:

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
I think this years draft was Sarnia's best draft in the past 6-7 years. I know the '14 Draft brought Chychrun/Kyrou and good later picks in Sproviero and Fulcher, but Chychrun was an easy pick at #1 and in terms of the value they got for their picks and depth in terms of who could become OHL talent, this could be their deepest and most successful overall draft in a very long time.

Jamieson Rees is top 3-4 player from Ontario in the draft terms of pure talent, but he's a little small. He can be a little perimeter on some occasions but he knows how to score, and finds ways to produce. Not the same player, but for Sarnia fans that don't see a lot of other teams except when they come into the PASA, Kyrou type of player wouldn't be a bad comparable.

Alexandre Hogue, he gets Anthony DeAngelo comparisons, I disagree with that. Ryan Merkley is more of a DeAngelo to me. I remember DeAngelo's draft year he was a top 5 prospect for the OHL Draft and arguably the best offensive D available at the time. I think he's more like a higher end version of Jeff King. Great skater, great puck rusher, high skilled, creates offense but loves to jump up in the rush and can get caught deeper in the offensive zone. Will need to work with coaches on when to jump up and when not to, but he could become a point per game defenseman down the line, but again he's very small.

Brayden Guy, again if I'm going to make a comparison, I think maybe Drake Rymsha is the closest. Again he's not the same player Rymsha was in his draft year, but for fans to try and compare the two, he plays the same type of game. Good sized kid, he's got a hard shot, plays a tough two-way game, finished his checks, his skating was not good early on and he improved a lot. Still needs work but all in all he could become a very good two-way forward for Sarnia who can rack up some goals as he gets older.

Justin McCombs was probably my favorite pick they made. Some scouts saw him as a first rounder earlier on in the season. He got a wrist injury and some tagged him unfairly as "injury prone" maybe that dropped his stock, but we had him as an early second rounder by the end of the year and Sarnia got him mid third. Smart, playmaking forward who is creative, makes quick decisions, but he's a little small.

Colton Kamerrer is another player I thought would get picked in the second round and Sarnia got him in the third. Already has good size at 6'0" smart two-way defender, smart with the puck, plays a strong two-way game, right handed shot, I think he could potentially walk in next season and play, he's a late birthdate as well which is a bonus.

I think all of their top 5 picks could be solid players at the OHL level.

Two other picks I liked..

Ethan Langevin, has the potential to be a top goaltender in this draft. he's a little small but he's very quick, anticipates well, he was on fire at the Border Battle in November in Sarnia. Big upside.

Case McCarthy, best defenseman in the draft in my opinion. Great skater at 6'01" does it all at both ends. He's great with the puck, has a shot from the point, tough to beat defensively, plays physical, he's likely a high NHL pick, if they can find a way to get him he's a top 5-6 player in this draft class.

Nolan DeGurse was the local pick. He has great hands and can score, but he's 5'06.5" and isn't a strong skater. If he can either grow or improve his skating to the point it needs to be, he could be a player. He's competitive and he's got talent but that's the area that will determine whether or not he makes it. He's a late birthdate which is a positive.

how many of those picks makes club in setember.:nod:

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
how many of those picks makes club in setember.:nod:

I'd say as many as 4 of them. I think 5 are capable of playing at that level, but with McCombs size and being the third forward taken and the number of returning forwards he might get a chance to play a lot in Jr. B, but would likely be signed to a B card where he could get called up for a few games throughout the season similar to Henderson or Hough this year.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Thank you Ryan for that draft report. It's great to get more information on these kids.

The rookie camp is this weekend. If anybody attends, can you post a list of the players that are in attendance as I'm unable to attend. Thank you in advance.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
I'd say as many as 4 of them. I think 5 are capable of playing at that level, but with McCombs size and being the third forward taken and the number of returning forwards he might get a chance to play a lot in Jr. B, but would likely be signed to a B card where he could get called up for a few games throughout the season similar to Henderson or Hough this year.

oh k cool now can yu give us our sting line up for next year.:handclap::)

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont
ok i will give it a try at our line up next year

Lajeunese rymsha kyrou
mgregor rudzika salinitri
josling hinz hough
perry rees helt ?
guy mcoobs stos

calvas grima
ersnt hatcher
hogue Henderson
schlicting

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Way to early, but why not have some fun.

McGregor Rymsha Kyrou
*Weiss* Salinitri Ruzicka
Josling Sproviero Hough
Guy Rees Hinz

Grima Hatcher
*Samuelsson* Schlichting
Henderson Kammerer

Fazio Coffin

Hogue, Calvas,

*Hoping they will report*

Of course, you have the 2017 import pick to fill in someplace as well.

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont

McGregor Rymsha Kyrou
Josling Sproviero Hough
Guy Rees Hinz

Grima Hatcher
*Samuelsson* Schlichting
Henderson Kammerer

Fazio Coffin

Hogue, Calvas,

were his Ernst and stos and lajeunesse , schlicting wont be one of Oa sorry boxer

lyle13

Jan 15, 2015
bowmanville,ont

McGregor Rymsha Kyrou
Josling Sproviero Hough
Guy Rees Hinz

Grima Hatcher
*Samuelsson* Schlichting
Henderson Kammerer

Fazio Coffin

Hogue, Calvas,

one more thing boxer max gm Sinclair has already commited to Oa spots Ernst fazio, and Laj .:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->