Michael Russo: Russo leaves Star Tribune; to join The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Nice to see them bringing in the other sports already. Russo said his first piece runs tomorrow.

One of Russo's tweets seemed like this writer is more of free lance or part time(or maybe a an extended interview for the full time gig) for the rest of the season and or playoffs while they lock down permanent fulltime resources.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
It's behind paywall so no more Russo for me. Too bad I liked him

I'm kind of in the same boat.
I know it's relatively cheap to subscribe but I never really cared to be on the ground-breaking edge of news and stories.

The important stuff is tweeted out anyways.

I totally respect those who completely dive in with all the player and coach profiles, the blogs, and the podcast...
I just think it's a waste of time. I got my own life to live haha.

As I sit here and type on a message board :).
But for serious, good for him and I'm glad to hear the hockey media 'market' will have a strong source of news. TSN and ESPN have always been just 'meh'.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So what are the benefits of subscribing?

Being able to read all of the articles going forward. Some of his articles so far have been free for everyone, which was noted at the bottom of the article. I guess I'm not sure how long they plan on doing the "some articles free" thing - if that's just a temporary thing or not. I would guess that it is.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Yeah I just subscribed, as well. Looks really cool.

Some great articles from big time writers all across different sports, with no ads or annoying auto-play videos. All for less than the price of a newspaper subscription (Hell, it's even less than just a subscription for just the Sunday paper). They have a model that might just work.

I downloaded the mobile app, too. Haven't had much time to play around with it, but it seems pretty sleek.

I'll be interested to see who they get for the other Minnesota sports. In Russo's intro article he says "the Wild will be the first in Minnesota. The Athletic ultimately plans to hire beat writers for the Wolves, Vikings and Twins along with a presence in college sports. Especially hockey."

If The Athletic brings some top-notch college hockey coverage, I'll be thrilled. @GopherState, get in on that!

:thumbu:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

Can I just say how much I miss you around these parts? I know, you have a career now and all that. But... I miss you. And the old days. And I'm now feeling kinda nostalgic.

Anyway, you might've just made me a subscriber. Russo made me consider it, but... **** it. It's just a fiver. I'll cancel Netflix.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Can I just say how much I miss you around these parts? I know, you have a career now and all that. But... I miss you. And the old days. And I'm now feeling kinda nostalgic.

Anyway, you might've just made me a subscriber. Russo made me consider it, but... **** it. It's just a fiver. I'll cancel Netflix.

I agree. I still remember when you were a college kid with a legal dream lol.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Is there any way to watch gopher games legally when out of market? I assume some might be streamed on the school website which usually suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad