Michael Russo: Russo leaves Star Tribune; to join The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
It sounds like a subscription gets you everything too...so if there is a special subscription rate or whatever for $3.99/month or so, that seems to be a great deal. The website is getting into all sorts of things now, not to mention the already great hockey writers they have. Just starting up a college football section too.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Russo dm'ed "wait til Sept 6th though!" referring to my comment in a twitter thread "Mike is just buttering us up so we buy a sub to the Athletic."

So I'm assuming that's the announcement/launch date of AthleticMN.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
For those that bit the bullet and subscribed to the Athletic already, Dellow has an interesting article about goals from the flank that features the Wild a bit (both scoring and getting scored on).

Interesting read.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Russo dm'ed "wait til Sept 6th though!" referring to my comment in a twitter thread "Mike is just buttering us up so we buy a sub to the Athletic."

So I'm assuming that's the announcement/launch date of AthleticMN.

Ahhh I bought a subscription for $30 but I don't have to pay until September 5th because you get a free week. So far I like the articles but I was hoping Russo to confirm that he is going to the Athletic before the 5th

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not that I think he is a great writer or anything, but this pretty much has me sold if they are going full court press on getting hockey writers.

They're definitely making a splash with who they're recruiting. After being disappointed by ESPN, and hit-and-miss-TSN, I'm excited at the possibility of having a really good hockey publication.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Hockey writers seem to network well with each other and bond over common job duties so it makes sense that they all get together to form their own online publication. Especially considering all of the layoffs in the industry over the past year, there's a ton of decent to good talent for hockey writing out there looking for a job and the Athletic seems to be a good landing spot for many of them. Good news for the industry and for hockey fans.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Definitely interested in seeing how the Athletic pans out, long-er term. Grantland was one of my favorite websites but it couldn't survive. Now Simmons has the Ringer which seems to be trying to be Grantland, but most of the articles are much more superficial and closer to buzzfeed than Grantland. I know the Athletic is basically purely sports whereas Grantland was a hybrid, but still both value(d) stories deeper than just reporting an AP wire.

Point being: it seems pretty hard to survive as a sports-focused, quality>quantity, non-tv organization. It seems that sports fans have the desire for such a site, and hopefully they'll back that up by subscribing.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Definitely interested in seeing how the Athletic pans out, long-er term. Grantland was one of my favorite websites but it couldn't survive. Now Simmons has the Ringer which seems to be trying to be Grantland, but most of the articles are much more superficial and closer to buzzfeed than Grantland. I know the Athletic is basically purely sports whereas Grantland was a hybrid, but still both value(d) stories deeper than just reporting an AP wire.

Point being: it seems pretty hard to survive as a sports-focused, quality>quantity, non-tv organization. It seems that sports fans have the desire for such a site, and hopefully they'll back that up by subscribing.

I loved Grantland, but I can't do The Ringer. It feels like they're trying WAY too hard to be "hip".

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I only go to them for the Game of Thrones stuff. Binge Mode is probably the best podcast out there on the show and Jason Concepcion's stuff is great.

Otherwise, yeah, I haven't really done much else on there. They had a good podcast episode on A Few Good Men that I listened to because it's one of my favorite movies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Just subscribed...pretty good deal from his link to get a reduced price for the year's subscription.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
$41.99 for the year is a great deal. I subscribed this morning.

Looking forward to seeing who they hire for the rest of MN outlets.

Pretty interesting they launched AthleticMN with only the Wild coverage ready. I assume because training camp is starting in a week.

The rest of the local sites they launched with all sports at once.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I just subscribed, as well. Looks really cool.

Some great articles from big time writers all across different sports, with no ads or annoying auto-play videos. All for less than the price of a newspaper subscription (Hell, it's even less than just a subscription for just the Sunday paper). They have a model that might just work.

I downloaded the mobile app, too. Haven't had much time to play around with it, but it seems pretty sleek.

I'll be interested to see who they get for the other Minnesota sports. In Russo's intro article he says "the Wild will be the first in Minnesota. The Athletic ultimately plans to hire beat writers for the Wolves, Vikings and Twins along with a presence in college sports. Especially hockey."

If The Athletic brings some top-notch college hockey coverage, I'll be thrilled. @GopherState, get in on that!

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Subscribed as well. Paywalls suck ass.

Also, the app works great on my OnePlus.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I also plan on subscribing. Reading his intro, it must have sucked working with deadlines and not even being able to watch or stick around for post-game interviews and everything. Seems like a good gig.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
It always seemed like he was the last person to leave the Xcel after every game due to deadlines. Glad he's going to get a chance to enjoy the game and take his time writing quality pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad