Michael Russo: Russo leaves Star Tribune; to join The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hope they plan on adding college hockey coverage.

How can you want to be the local Minnesota sports news source without it?

Pretty thin overall on Minnesota coverage as well to start...Wild and nothing else.

Someone tell the Athletic that Minnesota isn't a city.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hope they plan on adding college hockey coverage.

How can you want to be the local Minnesota sports news source without it?

Pretty thin overall on Minnesota coverage as well to start...Wild and nothing else.

Someone tell the Athletic that Minnesota isn't a city.

They said they were only rolling out hockey to start, with more to come later. I'm fairly certain they said college hockey would get some coverage too.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah they said they're going to roll out our other sports as well. Russo specifically mentioned college hockey, too.

I'm hoping they get a writer for the Loons!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo's first real article is up...Bruce says JEE will get a real look at 3rd line center and Coyle will start at RW.
Sounds like Ennis will start on the 4th line with Cullen and Stewart, and Bruce expects it will be a scoring 4th line and other skill players will pay down there at times as well, doesn't expect Ennis to stay down that far in the lineup, at times the entire line may be elevated to the 3rd line instead of 4th.

Lines opening camp

Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Nino - Staal - Parise
Foligno - JEE - Coyle
Stewart - Cullen - Ennis

Suter - Spurgeon and Brodin - Dumba are the expected top 4, but Bruce wants to experiment with Suter - Dumba and Brodin - Spurgeon as well.

Oh, and Bruce thinks Dumba's game is going to explode this season. He says it takes about 300 games for a defenseman to truly get it in the NHL. He was the biggest proponent for keeping Dumba moving forward.

Sounds like how he talked up Granlund last season before his game took off, hope he's also right about Dumba!

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
FYI, the Athletic has a flash sale of 50% off right now. Not sure if that'll be a common "sale" or not, but I'm jumping on it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
FYI, the Athletic has a flash sale of 50% off right now. Not sure if that'll be a common "sale" or not, but I'm jumping on it.
Oh man i seriously just subscribed.

Still, with 30 percent discount it was only about 1/4 to 1/5 the price of the Star Tribune annually.

If it actually takes off like it should, that is kind of hard to beat.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
100% on the bandwagon now. A no-brainer subscription if you're a hockey fan who likes to read. They've done a superb job recruiting talent for this.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah, had to subscribe with the 50% off, 20ish bucks for a year of hopefully quality content is hard to beat; that's worth it for Russo/Lebrun alone.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
It's funny comparing the comments on the Athletic vs the comments from Star Trib. Night and day really. I guess we'll see how things go when the team has a rough patch, but everything so far is very positive and appreciative whereas Star Trib comments were just toxic 100% of the time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I just subscribed as well....hoping they get some Vikings, Twins, Gophers and Wolves content up there soon.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It's funny comparing the comments on the Athletic vs the comments from Star Trib. Night and day really. I guess we'll see how things go when the team has a rough patch, but everything so far is very positive and appreciative whereas Star Trib comments were just toxic 100% of the time.

That is largely because you don't need to subscribe to Trib to post. Athletic is going to be people who actually care about the team as opposed to randoms.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I just subscribed as well....hoping they get some Vikings, Twins, Gophers and Wolves content up there soon.

I'd imagine with the Butler trade, and raised expectations of the Wolves they'll get someone up on that beat as the season approaches. Even if it's just free lance.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Is there any way to disable the stupid scores that pop up in my main feed? Why the hell would I want spoilers when I just wanna read some stuff... Only way I found is to unfollow the Vikes on my page

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Is there any way to disable the stupid scores that pop up in my main feed? Why the hell would I want spoilers when I just wanna read some stuff... Only way I found is to unfollow the Vikes on my page

On the app? I don't think there is a way to turn it off. I agree though, I don't subscribe to The Athletic to get scores, I'm glad they don't have them on their site.

There's a link in the app settings to contact support. It opens an email with the address already populated. I'd send them an email and tell them what you think. Mirtle said in his AMA on Reddit that they're going to be canvasing subscribers to get their opinions, but also that their support staff is responsive to suggestions.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Yeah on the app. Good call though. I don't wanna have to unsubscribe to the Wild during the season when they're literally the only reason I bought a subscription lol

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Kinda OT but a pet peeve, sports tickers... GET THEM OFF MY SCREEN! If I wanna spoil recorded games I'll do it myself. Such an outdated thing. Nobody benefits. If you want the score use your Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad