Michael Russo: Russo leaves Star Tribune; to join The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Wow. I just saw this on Facebook.

Very bittersweet day for all MN Wild fans (those who like Russo).

I have followed him for almost his entire tenure as the Wild's beat writer and I always appreciated his integrity and straight forward thoughts on the Wild, whether I agreed with him or not.

I wish him much success in the future. I wonder what his job offer is.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Damn. Figured it was coming sooner rather than later. He's very talented, I'll miss him on our beat. Interested to see what his new opportunity is.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i really liked him because he wasn't afraid to ask direct & hard questions to wild mgmt. i felt we got the best & most accurate info available. he'll be missed.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, Jeremy Rutherford (Blues beat writer) left his paper last week and Russo had retweeted it at the time. I noticed that and thought they they were just good friends, but a part of me is wondering if they're not trying to do something like Craig Custance did when he started The Athletic with other hockey writers this year or even possibly joining him. The timing of it all just seems odd as training camp is right around the corner.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
For me, he was the best sports writer in town as soon as he started. Hockey writing (obviously), but, overall as well.

Does this mean that he will be writing elsewhere about the Wild or just hockey in general?

**** :(

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Woa!! :amazed:

Thats definetely a big news. If i want to know what is happening with the wild the first place i go is his tweet.. cant process it right now. Wonder what is this new proposal and what/who he is going to cover.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'd bet a decent sum of money he's joining the Athletic and they are opening a Twin Cities version. They always poach atleast one big name writer when they start up a new site, and they have a bigger hockey bend than most sports publications.

So in all likely hood, his coverage will remain. You'll just have to pay to read it now.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not surprised. Someone as good as he is was bound to get a better opportunity....just hope he still gets to cover the Wild in some capacity.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Canucks fan here..just to chime in that Russo is one better hockey journalists out there...He is usually on the radio when the Wild come to town..and always has good insight to the game..

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
This sucks big time! Not many out there like him. Im probably more upset about this than I should be!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Didn't expect to see that! Wow. Wouldn't be surprised if he got a big name spot with NBC, NHL or even TSN.

EDIT: Looks like it is the Athletic. Wow.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If he was leaving the Wild beat all together his thank you statement would have included Fletcher, BB, Carly Peters, etc.

He's just changing the outlet he's going to be covering them for.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Didn't see that Aaron Portzline has already joined The Athletic as well. He, Russo and Jeremy Rutherford were always held in high regard amongst NHL beat writers.

Anyone have a link to Russo joining The Athletic?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Kind of figured he'd end up leaving sooner or later. He's too talented to not get poached by someone.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
KFAN said it is the Athletic and that he would still be covering the Wild? Not sure if that means full time?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
KFAN said it is the Athletic and that he would still be covering the Wild? Not sure if that means full time?
God I hope so. Because every other journalist in this town sucks in terms of covering hockey. When he had days off and what's her face was covering for him, she'd tweet maybe one or two times during a game. She'd just go missing. No updates, no info, no personality. It was beyond pathetic. If he doesn't cover them, we're TRULY on our own. :rant::rant:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
What is The Athletic, exactly?

From browsing their site, it looks like all the country's various sports pages mashed up into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad