Michael Russo: Russo leaves Star Tribune; to join The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Is there any way to watch gopher games legally when out of market? I assume some might be streamed on the school website which usually suck

Well, the games are streamed on FS Go, like Wild games. I'm not sure how out of market stuff works with that. If you live in MSP, I'm not sure if you can stream it while you're on the road or not.

BTN also streams the Gophers when they play on BTN, so you can stream on their app if you subscribe to BTN with your cable/sat provider.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

sold! i wasn't going to do it because i already get it for free and i actually did subscribe to the Strib to support Russo (then he left) so i'm a bit peeved about that. But gotta support it to encourage more college coverage.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I did it.
Feels good.

Yeah, it's like $3 a month. For how many NHL articles they put out it seems like a steal. Add in the fact that there are no ads, minimal pictures and graphics, and the fact that you can basically pick which teams you are interested in and they will curate a front page for you, and I am really happy with the purchase.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
So Mr insider, will they allow us to pick college hockey teams to follow news on eventually? ;)

This has been the most frequently asked question to me over the past few days. It doesn't appear that will be the case to start, but might be added later. If enough people click, subscribe and ask for more college hockey coverage, I believe it will be. Been happy with the interest so far.

Well done GopherState Nate!

Thanks GopherState clone Bookman!

I agree. I still remember when you were a college kid with a legal dream lol.

Man, time has made a mockery of that dream.

Is there any way to watch gopher games legally when out of market? I assume some might be streamed on the school website which usually suck

Few Gopher games get streamed on school websites. It's normally only exhibitions, the rare untelevised game and road non-conference games where the other school has the rights. For televised games, as previously mentioned, BTN and Fox Sports Go are normally options.

sold! i wasn't going to do it because i already get it for free and i actually did subscribe to the Strib to support Russo (then he left) so i'm a bit peeved about that. But gotta support it to encourage more college coverage.

Thank you! I'm excited to be able to give Gopher & Minnesota college hockey fans the coverage they deserve.

Can I just say how much I miss you around these parts? I know, you have a career now and all that. But... I miss you. And the old days. And I'm now feeling kinda nostalgic.

Anyway, you might've just made me a subscriber. Russo made me consider it, but... **** it. It's just a fiver. I'll cancel Netflix.

1) Those were fun, weird times. I need to get back around here more often. Thought of HF over the weekend at a wedding when every Pitbull song I knew ended up being played at the reception.

2) Thank you for subscribing.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't get to give my congrats yet, Nate, but I'm super pumped you're joining them. I already subscribed, and I've always loved your stuff, so this money I spent is looking better and better week by week.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From Russo

The Wild have made the playoffs five years in a row, but they’ve only won two playoff rounds in that time and are coming off consecutive first-round losses.

Last season’s exit was arguably the most disappointing because the Wild had the second-most points in the Western Conference, built lofty expectations throughout a fun season and still only managed a single playoff victory against the St. Louis Blues.

That’s why Leipold made clear Saturday night that “anything short of winning the Stanley Cup right now would be a disappointment. I think probably 30 other owners would say the same thing, but I think we have the team that can do it.

“Right now, that’s our goal, that’s our objective, and if anybody on the bench doesn’t feel the same way, they’re probably on the wrong bench.”

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Congrats Nate!!!! I'm proud of ya.

As for Russo leaving; about damn time. He was getting bad interjecting his opinion in with news reporting (See Suter). Then again most media networks are like that. But yeah, he was becoming unreliable and just not that good. Hopefully fresh blood will help.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

As for Russo leaving; about damn time. He was getting bad interjecting his opinion in with news reporting (See Suter). Then again most media networks are like that. But yeah, he was becoming unreliable and just not that good. Hopefully fresh blood will help.

He wasn't interjecting his opinion in his news reporting. It was in his podcasts, which is something completely different. He was not unreliable and he was good. I don't know what you're talking about really.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In no universe is Russo "unreliable".

His coverage on Suter has been unreliable. At first he said personally that it was not some sort of slap to the face of the coaching staff when they brought in Oates and then afterwards, he had to retract that because Yeo was livid that Suter and Parise brought someone in: http://www.startribune.com/more-context-on-parise-suter-working-with-oates/327732601/.

More than that, his coverage on Suter has been spotty and seems to have a beef with him.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
His coverage on Suter has been unreliable. At first he said personally that it was not some sort of slap to the face of the coaching staff when they brought in Oates and then afterwards, he had to retract that because Yeo was livid that Suter and Parise brought someone in: http://www.startribune.com/more-context-on-parise-suter-working-with-oates/327732601/.

More than that, his coverage on Suter has been spotty and seems to have a beef with him.

So Russo was originally told it wasn't a slap in the face, probably by the coaches themselves. So he's at fault for reporting what he was told?

And the only quote I know of from Yeo about the Oates situation is this:
"I would say that I would not do the same thing."

Source on articles that show his coverage of Suter is spotty?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
My only Russo criticism is that he sometimes gets homer-ish with his opinions, and he gets sucked into negative comments on Twitter sometimes. Gotta put up the blinders on those.

Outside of that, his coverage is top-notch in the NHL.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Holy site reboot, Batman!

Don't care much for Russo, but I'll subscribe for Nate.

Thank you!

Thanks! I'm impressed the mods after me didn't ban you.

Late to the party but congrats!

Thanks Dan! Long time no see!

Reactions: TaLoN

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Nice! Will the college hockey articles always appear on the Wild page?

Edit: Ooh nevermind, I got it. There's a general "Minnesota" page.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Saw your first article. Congrats GopherState!

Thanks!

Nice! Will the college hockey articles always appear on the Wild page?

Edit: Ooh nevermind, I got it. There's a general "Minnesota" page.

Trying to balance between explaining and self-promotion. Yes, there's a general "Minnesota" page - www.theathletic.com/mn - where right now all the Minnesota schools and North Dakota/Wisconsin will show up. You also get Wild, Twins, Vikings and Wolves work there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->