Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Every person who shits on Strome here would be mentioning him in the offseason if he was another teams ufa and the dollar amount wouldnt end at 6 mill, its pretty funny. It would be a whole lot of "complete our top 6, plays well with high end players, doesn't mind mixing it up, good locker room guy, whats not to like" takes. This board is funny.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We're 2nd in the league in GAA and you're giving up a cornerstone on D for "improved forward depth"? No thanks. And thrusting Schneider into Trouba's role/shoes is a lot of pressure/expectation for that young man not to mention the leadership loss in the locker room. Trouba isn't going anywhere.

And a future 1C prospect.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
back to back games with KK and Laf netting 2 a piece.

a204bf3c6a5d0d1ea46345dbe69111d7.png

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Seattle, Ottawa, Buffalo... ie the shit teams.

Good teams can't afford paying Strome $6M. It's a loser move
Thankfully some team will overpay for him. No chance he'll be a ranger next season. Chytil or Copp should probably be the 2c at this moment. Strome's game has died off towards the end of the season as it does always. I don't think he'll get much interest from a playoff team.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Thankfully some team will overpay for him. No chance he'll be a ranger next season. Chytil or Copp should probably be the 2c at this moment. Strome's game has died off towards the end of the season as it does always. I don't think he'll get much interest from a playoff team.
Strome is struggling to score 20 goals playing with one of the best passing wingers in the league. Copp would replace his production, if not exceed it, while playing a much better 2 way game.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We have a 1C. The future is right now.

I know we have a 1C right now, but he’s pushing 30. I said future 1C (potentially).

You may disagree but please don’t mischaracterize my position. The suggestion would be Trouba out for the cap space to improve our forward depth by bringing back pieces like Vatrano and Motte which are otherwise unaffordable; a prospect the team would consider a future low end 1C/high end 2C while Mika is at the top of his game, thus insulating us from center-related decline, and the opportunity to have a few bucks left to perhaps sign a kid like K’Andre Miller to a favorable long term deal instead of a bridge which will cost us dollars in the long run.

The cost of all that gain is what I would classify as a manageable downgrade at the second pair defender slot. Manageable when you consider that we have the best goalie in the league to cover the slack, a Norris winner to cover the slack, and rapidly rising Miller to cover the slack who may be better next year than Trouba is this year, and a carbon copy in Braden Schneider who looks to me ready to take on second pair minutes with quality results. It’s quite a cumulative haul for one non-elite second pair defender.

Yes it’s a downgrade on the defensive second pair and yes we want to win now but this takes care of a way bigger future problem than the now problem you are creating, in my book. Not every move can be about today. It’s ok to look at tomorrow if the sacrifice of today is minimal. In fact that’s what you do every time you draft a player. You could have traded that first rounder for a rental but you chose to choose an 18 year old for the future.

This franchise has also always overemphasized defensemen for its foundation as opposed to talented forwards, a calculation which has not proven wise over the years.

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Personally, I would rather keep Motte than Blais. In an ideal world I'd keep them both, but we're crazy loaded at LW as it is with Kreider, Panarin and Laf, and possibly Othmann and/or Cuylle could push for spots. I suppose it's a good problem to have, though.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Personally, I would rather keep Motte than Blais. In an ideal world I'd keep them both, but we're crazy loaded at LW as it is with Kreider, Panarin and Laf, and possibly Othmann and/or Cuylle could push for spots. I suppose it's a good problem to have, though.
Blais brings a hell of a lot more than Motte. I’m shocked anyone would want Motte over Blais to be honest.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Looking very likely we could up end up 1st in the Metro. Kinda sucks since we have the Pens number and Jerry is also out week to week with a broken foot.

Guess its Boston or Caps. Caps are playing good hockey. Boston is not. Hopefully Boston stays ahead of the Caps so we face them.

Rangers vs Boston on Saturday
Rangers vs Caps on the 29th (last game of the season for both teams). If we are set to play them, I'm going to assume both teams will dress bare bones rosters.

Edit - Actually I guess Caps could bounce Pens into the wildcard spot for the Panthers to play, Boston is probably more likely for us to face.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was hoping a full healthy vegas team gets in and can do some damage in the west. I know they are not the popular team right now because of all the LTIR stuff but would be pretty funny if somehow they ended up playing Colorado.
Me too. I have no big issue with the LTIR stuff. Any team can do it. I want to see that Vegas team in the playoffs.

Reactions: bl02

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Blais brings a hell of a lot more than Motte. I’m shocked anyone would want Motte over Blais to be honest.

Motte brings more speed. Drury still sees Blais as a 3rd liner, I think.

I think the decision would be between Motte and Rooney for the 4th line, rather than Motte and Blais.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Fundamentally wrong. The present is now.
You want to keep the pipeline flowing. We DO need a center/center prospects for the future regardless of whether you like the deal or not
Not at the expense of a pillar on D. You want to send Lundkvist another direction for C prospect? Go ahead. When your window is open and your competing you don't send a guy like Trouba anywhere for prospects.

Reactions: egelband

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
How can the Rangers afford Motte? It sounds like he is seriously injured. He had neck surgery last offseason. Bulging disk. Motte missed the start of this season. Motte took a big hit against the Penguins. Did Motte suffer a neck injury? Gallant said Motte will be out for a while.

Motte was asking for $2.5M per from Vancouver prior to the trade. If Motte was healthy, how can the Rangers afford that number?

The qualifying number for Blais is $1.6M. He played 14 games this season.

Rooney has a $750,000 cap hit.

It's not about which player is better and the Rangers would be crazy to pick Blais or Rooney over a healthy Motte, which players can the Rangers afford?

The numbers don't lie.

The Rangers top 6 highest paid players and the buyout money on the books.

$53,237,302

The Rangers have less $30M for the rest of the team.

Add Goodrow and Lindgren.

$59,878,969

$22,621,031 in space

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I know we have a 1C right now, but he’s pushing 30. I said future 1C (potentially).

You may disagree but please don’t mischaracterize my position. The suggestion would be Trouba out for the cap space to improve our forward depth by bringing back pieces like Vatrano and Motte which are otherwise unaffordable; a prospect the team would consider a future low end 1C/high end 2C while Mika is at the top of his game, thus insulating us from center-related decline, and the opportunity to have a few bucks left to perhaps sign a kid like K’Andre Miller to a favorable long term deal instead of a bridge which will cost us dollars in the long run.

The cost of all that gain is what I would classify as a manageable downgrade at the second pair defender slot. Manageable when you consider that we have the best goalie in the league to cover the slack, a Norris winner to cover the slack, and rapidly rising Miller to cover the slack who may be better next year than Trouba is this year, and a carbon copy in Braden Schneider who looks to me ready to take on second pair minutes with quality results. It’s quite a cumulative haul for one non-elite second pair defender.

Yes it’s a downgrade on the defensive second pair and yes we want to win now but this takes care of a way bigger future problem than the now problem you are creating, in my book. Not every move can be about today. It’s ok to look at tomorrow if the sacrifice of today is minimal. In fact that’s what you do every time you draft a player. You could have traded that first rounder for a rental but you chose to choose an 18 year old for the future.

This franchise has also always overemphasized defensemen for its foundation as opposed to talented forwards, a calculation which has not proven wise over the years.

And I'll stand by what I said - the time to trade Trouba for futures is not now. Scheider can't (and shouldn't be asked to) assume his role and the team is competing for a Cup (believe it or not) and likely will for a few years so the message to the locker room that one of its cornerstones is expendable for someone that might or might not amount to something is terrible. Not to mention that the optics to the owner (something Drury HAS to consider) are awful as well.

If you're trading for prospects then one of our D prospects should be going the other way.

If the cap is the primary consideration then you move Nemeth, Reaves, don't sign Strome, sign Copp, hope Kravtsov sticks, bridge Kakko (who, at this point, is almost certainly not getting anything else), move on from Georgiev, etc...

Moving Trouba, at this point, isn't the answer.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Motte is a true difference-maker on the PK, but it all depends on what his line in the sand is, salary-wise.

Sure, he wanted $2.5M from Vancouver. That team is perpetually stuck in neutral. If you're going to throw away the rest of your career on a middling team, might as well get paid.

The fact of the matter is, the kid is coming off another big injury. That's likely going to depress the market for him. He also seemed to be finding a nice niche on a rising contender, us. I'd give him $1.75M on a 3 year deal. It probably won't be the best offer he gets. But, with the cap crunch, I doubt any good team is going to meet his purported ask. A 3-year deal gets him out from under the flat cap crunch, and a chance at one last deal before he retires.

My preference would be for him AND Blais to make up 2/3 of our 4th line. Blais brings size, straight-line speed, physicality, and surprisingly good hands. Motte is a smaller player, but very quick on the puck, especially on the PK. Rooney/Brodz on a minimum deal rounds out into a pretty good 4th line, IMO.

We'd be tight to the cap, for sure, but if we can insert VK into the Top-6, that would cure a lot of ills, as opposed to re-signing Vatrano at whatever his ask is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad