Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Hard to say, he was a late bloomer; but he’s inconsistent and doesn’t seem like a person who’s extremely passionate about hockey. I’ll never forget him saying on a podcast that hockey wasn’t his favorite sport

Mika signs a massive extension and immediately has a career year in every facet of his game but we're concerned about his passion for hockey? Such a tired narrative with no basis in fact. Cmon now Jovo

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Mika signs a massive extension and immediately has a career year in every facet of his game but we're concerned about his passion for hockey? Such a tired narrative with no basis in fact. Cmon now Jovo
Lol I like Mika, this is just an armchair psychologist analysis of his personality. He's a very nonchalant guy, doesn't seem like the obsessive type who doesn't like partying, likes just working out constantly, watching hockey, etc. Usually the obsessive guys age the best, I could see Mika's spark burning out earlier than some others.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lol I like Mika, this is just an armchair psychologist analysis of his personality. He's a very nonchalant guy, doesn't seem like the obsessive type who doesn't like partying, likes just working out constantly, watching hockey, etc. Usually the obsessive guys age the best, I could see Mika's spark burning out earlier than some others.

We also thought this 5 years ago when he signed his previous extension. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: cheech70

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
he was our best player the last time we were in the playoffs (2017, not the covid tournament) by far

He is going to be a PPG player this year. Last year, he got off to a terrible start, likely due to his bout with COVID and still finished near a PPG. The year before he broke 40 goals in 57 games played.

Imagine what he could do if he was more dedicated. :rolleyes:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I think Mika looks like he's having a lot of fun playing hockey right now. Hopefully that lasts. The counter-argument to him burning out would be that he's priming now(a little late), sometimes that means a player will age a little more gracefully instead of priming early and dropping off. Indicates that perhaps he's learned to adapt his game instead of just relying completely on his athletic ability alone.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

This is so weird. Do you know Mika personally? Otherwise, how do you know what his routine is? There are a lot of "obsessive" guys, as you call them, who burn out early as well. Literally nothing to back up this absurd speculation.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This is so weird. Do you know Mika personally? Otherwise, how do you know what his routine is? There are a lot of "obsessive" guys, as you call them, who burn out early as well. Literally nothing to back up this absurd speculation.
There was a lot of concern about his character & dedication to hockey when he was in Ottawa. You don't think it's kinda weird to say your favorite sport is soccer when you're a professional hockey player? I may be reading too much into his personality but you're also reading too much into my post lol, I'm not saying he's some party animal who's going to age like milk. People were just speculating how he'll age and I said is I'm not sure how he'll age as he has some pros (late bloomer) and some cons (many other interests outside of hockey, nonchalant person)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You just don't know with Zibanejad.

He could go either way. The Brad Richards/Lecavalier route where you're toast by 34, or the Sakic route where you're still plugging in your late 30s.

The reality is usually somewhere in between. In five years I see Zibby as a solid offensive 2C, but possibly no longer seeing max minutes including PK usage.

There are also trends here. For a while, in the 90s, I felt like so many forwards lasted long, then for a while it felt like everyone was done south of 30. If the game changes a lot it hurts the vets. That is why the 03-05 drafts were so good. Natural selection before the change don’t fit as well after it. Like after 05’, the big 30+ PFer grinder or center couldn’t keep up, and the skilled perimeter forwards that they beat out before 05’ are long retired. Praise, Mike Richards, so many guys like that had great careers. They weren’t that great prospects.

I am leaning towards Ziba not lasting forever. Hopefully he can live on his smarts like say a Marleau. Kreider feels like a player who could peak at 35 (of course not guarantee). But it feels like Ziba will slow down, like say a Getzlaf.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
That is correct. But to put it in context, Zibanejad signed his extension October 10th. For that to have happened, any talk of an Eichel trade must have been long dead. The cap numbers could never work.

I don't think they must have been "long" dead but obviously once that deal got close to being signed we knew we were not likely to acquire Eichel.

I do think at one point they had a plan to have both and it probably involved moving Kreider.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
There was a lot of concern about his character & dedication to hockey when he was in Ottawa.
Yes, and most of it was baseless and drummed up by the media and some fans. The guy has hobbies and people don't like that. I say good, don't think about hockey all the time. The mental fatigue from constant hockey centered, or anything centered, life IS real and can lead to burnout, depression, anxiety, etc. That is real and has been shown in psychology (Sports and otherwise).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yes, and most of it was baseless and drummed up by the media and some fans. The guy has hobbies and people don't like that. I say good, don't think about hockey all the time. The mental fatigue from constant hockey centered, or anything centered, life IS real and can lead to burnout, depression, anxiety, etc. That is real and has been shown in psychology (Sports and otherwise).
Totally and 100% agree.

That being said, it rubs me the wrong way that he showed up out of shape to start camp two years running now. If it's part of my job to be in top physical condition when the time calls for it, I'm making sure of it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If in two years, Kakko and Lafreniere are producing at the same rate as Kyrou and Thomas, how good could this team be with Panarin, Fox, Mika

On long term deals in the 4.5 the 5.5 range??

If the Rangers offered Kakko 5 per for 6 years? Same with Lafreniere.

Do they take that? And still have the ability to cash in at 27 or 28?

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Totally and 100% agree.

That being said, it rubs me the wrong way that he showed up out of shape to start camp two years running now. If it's part of my job to be in top physical condition when the time calls for it, I'm making sure of it.
Fair critique for sure and I agree. I think a player not training enough is a problem, however, I don't equate that to not being dedicated to hockey. Z is the best 2 way forward night-in and night-out and does not shy away from any part of the ice. I would say his dedication is fine. His diet, is shit.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Would you guys believe me if I told you that Ryan Reaves has scored only 4 fewer points in 63 games this season than Tanner Glass did in his 134 game Rangers tenure?

63gp 3g 8a 11p for Reaves this season.

134gp 6g 9a 15p for Glass in his 3 seasons in NY.

• Wow
Reactions: EdJovanovski

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If in two years, Kakko and Lafreniere are producing at the same rate as Kyrou and Thomas, how good could this team be with Panarin, Fox, Mika

On long term deals in the 4.5 the 5.5 range??

If the Rangers offered Kakko 5 per for 6 years? Same with Lafreniere.

Do they take that? And still have the ability to cash in at 27 or 28?

We cannot afford to offer Kakko 5 per year this offseason.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
There was a lot of concern about his character & dedication to hockey when he was in Ottawa. You don't think it's kinda weird to say your favorite sport is soccer when you're a professional hockey player? I may be reading too much into his personality but you're also reading too much into my post lol, I'm not saying he's some party animal who's going to age like milk. People were just speculating how he'll age and I said is I'm not sure how he'll age as he has some pros (late bloomer) and some cons (many other interests outside of hockey, nonchalant person)
Some of the best players in all sports usually don’t even like playing the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad