Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hurricanes sending Freddie Andersen for MRI today.

He had to leave the game early last night. Going to be crazy when the Rangers win the division and Carolina and Pittsburgh play each other with their backup goalies.

• Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Hurricanes sending Freddie Andersen for MRI today.

He had to leave the game early last night. Going to be crazy when the Rangers win the division and Carolina and Pittsburgh play each other with their backup goalies.
If the Rangers beat the Penguins then the Hurricanes with backups then it will be stricken from the record books.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm stoked to see how we do in the playoffs but god damn if Colorado doesn't win it all this year...

Besides the Johnson twins, the team has no weakness.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm stoked to see how we do in the playoffs but god damn if Colorado doesn't win it all this year...

Besides the Johnson twins, the team has no weakness.

The blueprint on how to beat them was written by Vegas last year.

I don’t think they’ve done enough to overcome that. They remind me a lot of the AV Canucks

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

I don’t think they’ve done enough to overcome that. They remind me a lot of the AV Canucks
Otoh the only thing between AVs Canucks and a cup ring was a boatload of injuries to key players and maybe the greatest postseasom goaltending performance in history....

The odds are always against any team. Injuries have hampered the Avs. But the West is pretty weak, and despite Sutter winning twice, the Flames recent postseason record is more dismal than the Avs. I think you're really underselling that team.

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I agree. I’m definitely shorting the Avs this postseason. AV’s Canucks had better goaltending too

Reactions: MikeSteaks

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
If the Rangers beat the Penguins then the Hurricanes with backups then it will be stricken from the record books.
tristian jarry is awful. he gave away at least 2 games to the Isles last year in R1. they're probably better off without him.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
Rangers path through the East is beginning to open up. With Andersen injured (hopefully not) for Carolina and Jarry for Pitt we have a good chance at securing home ice in first round and being division champs. Potential concern is this will be the teams first foray into postseason and the WC1 is looking like Boston, a team with ton of postseason experience. I think Rangers biggest challenge will be getting through R1 and then hopefully R2 is either Car/ Pitt which should be depleted and make for an easier path to the CF. From there it’s probably going to be one of the FL twins and will come down to goaltending, injuries/ health, and depth. Got way ahead of myself but just considering possibilities

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Rangers path through the East is beginning to open up. With Andersen injured (hopefully not) for Carolina and Jarry for Pitt we have a good chance at securing home ice in first round and being division champs. Potential concern is this will be the teams first foray into postseason and the WC1 is looking like Boston, a team with ton of postseason experience. I think Rangers biggest challenge will be getting through R1 and then hopefully R2 is either Car/ Pitt which should be depleted and make for an easier path to the CF. From there it’s probably going to be one of the FL twins and will come down to goaltending, injuries/ health, and depth. Got way ahead of myself but just considering possibilities
I'd rather Boston-Carolina go 7 games and we take down Pitt and aren't as worn down for the winner of Boston Carolina. Then who knows. Florida wins high scoring games, not exactly playoff style, will they get revenge on TB or will the experience of Tampa win out? There's a huge possibility the Rangers pull off the first two rounds then end up against TB.
Now who knocks off Colorado? :cool:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd rather Boston-Carolina go 7 games and we take down Pitt and aren't as worn down for the winner of Boston Carolina. Then who knows. Florida wins high scoring games, not exactly playoff style, will they get revenge on TB or will the experience of Tampa win out? There's a huge possibility the Rangers pull off the first two rounds then end up against TB.
Colorado is not making it out of the west

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I was hoping a full healthy vegas team gets in and can do some damage in the west. I know they are not the popular team right now because of all the LTIR stuff but would be pretty funny if somehow they ended up playing Colorado.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Otoh the only thing between AVs Canucks and a cup ring was a boatload of injuries to key players and maybe the greatest postseasom goaltending performance in history....

The odds are always against any team. Injuries have hampered the Avs. But the West is pretty weak, and despite Sutter winning twice, the Flames recent postseason record is more dismal than the Avs. I think you're really underselling that team.
I think the west has better teams tbh. I'd rather play everyone in the East over teams STL, Nashville, CGY, Minn and COL.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The only change in the top 4 is Schneider in for Trouba and Schneider is already in the process of proving he can handle an increased role. It’s a downgrade but it’s offset by the improved forward depth we can afford.

The bottom pair is no different in quality than this year.

We're 2nd in the league in GAA and you're giving up a cornerstone on D for "improved forward depth"? No thanks. And thrusting Schneider into Trouba's role/shoes is a lot of pressure/expectation for that young man not to mention the leadership loss in the locker room. Trouba isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I think the west has better teams tbh. I'd rather play everyone in the East over teams STL, Nashville, CGY, Minn and COL.
Well that's just agree to disagree, though at least two of those teams will be out by round one.

I think Florida, Tampa, TML, and Boston are all somewhere in the same tier as Calgary. Vegas is a big wild card in the west.

Definitely think this is the most competitive bracket league wide that I can remember. At least in a decade or so. But Colorado is pretty solidly the cream of the crop imo.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Well that's just agree to disagree, though at least two of those teams will be out by round one.

I think Florida, Tampa, TML, and Boston are all somewhere in the same tier as Calgary. Vegas is a big wild card in the west.

Definitely think this is the most competitive bracket league wide that I can remember. At least in a decade or so. But Colorado is pretty solidly the cream of the crop imo.
I'm talking about stylistically. IMO we match up way better with teams in the East.

COL, CGY and MIN beat the shit out of us, literally and figuratively. COL is in the mold of FLA... CGY and MINN are the ones that scare me though... We obviously weren't at our best back then though

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don’t think Colorado can generate enough offense if the rush is taken away from them. It’s an easier said than done thing, but there are several teams out west who can do this to them. Calgary may not have any recent postseason success (as you mentioned, Sutter wasn’t there) but I’ve seen this happen to Colorado with their current coach and their roster is pretty much the same.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
I mean ideally I’d take Rangers staying in 2nd in the division and make quick work of the Penguins while Bruins and Canes battle it out. I think Rangers expect to win at least 1-2 rounds. From there I’d say both Florida and Tampa Bay scare me. Plus it’s very rare that a young team goes deep it’s first time into the playoffs.

Out west, STL, Col, MIN, and CGY all scare me. Teams are all deep and play a strong puck possession game. I could see us having a better goalie but I almost think our best shot is those teams pummel each other and the winner is barely left standing by the Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad