Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Am I tripping or is there no GDT for the game against Detroit

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the kid line is gonna be a thing Kakko needs to be back with at least 10 games to see how the line clicks and plays in all three zones. Otherwise No way is GG gonna play them in the playoffs.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm not looking at any charts or anything, but the eye test tells me that their 5v5 play has improved markedly over the last 1/2 dozen games.

You have to ask yourself at what point do you take this team seriously? I mean, the record is what it is and it's pretty damned good. They've set a franchise record with 24 come from behind wins. When do you start to believe?

The biggest glaring weakness, other than backup goaltending (good lord @ Georgiev), is playoff inexperience - which might end up being a huge HUGE factor playing against veteran teams like the Pens and Caps.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Lack of playoff experience isn’t as big of an issue as some think. Yes, younger players like Chytil, Kakko, Lafreniere, Miller, Fox, Shesterkin and Lindgren have no playoff experience, but they have some battle tested veterans to help guide them. Reaves (numerous playoff runs, including a GWG in series-clinching Game 5 of WCF) has played in a Stanley Cup Final. Goodrow has won 2 Cups as a major contributor. Braun has been to a Final with San Jose. Trouba and Copp have been to a WCF with Winnipeg. Panarin was part of a team that swept the #1 seed and heavy favorite, and has played with two guys who have won 3 Stanley Cups. He’s got 28 points in 30 playoff games. Zibanejad was here at the tail end of the Lundqvist playoff era and got some initial experience there. Kreider has played 80 playoff games, been to 2 ECF and a SCF. In the bubble, Motte was part of a Vancouver team that got in, beat St. Louis, and took Vegas to 7 games.

There are some guys who have gone through the growing pains, have won the Cup, have gone on deep runs, for the young players to lean on. It’s up to them to take that next step and to show the young players how to prepare and how to succeed in the playoffs.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Lack of playoff experience isn’t as big of an issue as some think. Yes, younger players like Chytil, Kakko, Lafreniere, Miller, Fox, Shesterkin and Lindgren have no playoff experience, but they have some battle tested veterans to help guide them. Reaves (numerous playoff runs, including a GWG in series-clinching Game 5 of WCF) has played in a Stanley Cup Final. Goodrow has won 2 Cups as a major contributor. Braun has been to a Final with San Jose. Trouba and Copp have been to a WCF with Winnipeg. Panarin was part of a team that swept the #1 seed and heavy favorite, and has played with two guys who have won 3 Stanley Cups. He’s got 28 points in 30 playoff games. Zibanejad was here at the tail end of the Lundqvist playoff era and got some initial experience there. Kreider has played 80 playoff games, been to 2 ECF and a SCF. In the bubble, Motte was part of a Vancouver team that got in, beat St. Louis, and took Vegas to 7 games.

There are some guys who have gone through the growing pains, have won the Cup, have gone on deep runs, for the young players to lean on. It’s up to them to take that next step and to show the young players how to prepare and how to succeed in the playoffs.
Hey! What are you trying to lose our first round pick?!? Hahaha. I agree to an extent. Yes there are guys who have been there, and they are an important asset, but it's not the same as going through it as a team. Leaning on the guys around you. It's like going to war. I'll be honest here: I wont be shocked if they win their first round series, depending on who it is and how both teams look going in, but I WILL be surprised if they win two. If they DO win two, that's a foundation, it's not a total reach to say they could build on that and they could end up getting to the SCF... and once you are in the finals, with a goalie like Igor... well, all bets are off.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Don’t forget that Lafreniere and Kakko are legit two of some of the best tournemant/playoff players of all time as juniors. There are very few players that have won 3 gold medals before making the NHL. We have two of them in Laf and Kakko

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm not looking at any charts or anything, but the eye test tells me that their 5v5 play has improved markedly over the last 1/2 dozen games.

You have to ask yourself at what point do you take this team seriously? I mean, the record is what it is and it's pretty damned good. They've set a franchise record with 24 come from behind wins. When do you start to believe?

The biggest glaring weakness, other than backup goaltending (good lord @ Georgiev), is playoff inexperience - which might end up being a huge HUGE factor playing against veteran teams like the Pens and Caps.

Will we be taken seriously when we take the 1 seed from Carolina? They just need to stay healthy until the playoffs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I really don’t feel confident if Geo plays any minute of any games in the playoffs. Can they use Benoit Allaire in the playoffs? I know they can’t but he wouldn’t be a bad option :DD

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
we should have signed him for less.

I'm not saying 9.5M isn't a good deal but he could have easily signed him for $8M imo. The plethora of defensemen deals, right before his signing, did us no favors.

He wasn't going anywhere. He's a Ranger. He wants to be a Ranger. It is what it is

There was zero chance they would have been able to get him at 8.

He and his agent would have told us to F off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad