Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Not at the expense of a pillar on D. You want to send Lundkvist another direction for C prospect? Go ahead. When your window is open and your competing you don't send a guy like Trouba anywhere for prospects.
Lundkvist for a LHD prospect who can replace Lindgren in 23-24 or a top 6-9 prospect forward are the other possibilities. Lundkvist is a very good player but the Rangers don't have a spot for him.

Reactions: leetch99

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lundkvist for a LHD prospect who can replace Lindgren in 23-24 or a top 6-9 prospect forward are the other possibilities. Lundkvist is a very good player but the Rangers don't have a spot for him.

I'd argue that's redundant with both Jones and Robertson in the pipeline.

Miller, Jones, Robertson could be a very solid 3 down the left when and if NYR need to move on from Ryan.

It's a young forward we could really use. Barron didn't impress our organization. Paju is a long shot. Cuylle's upside is limited. Othmann is still a ways away. Berard is at least 2 years away optimistically. Henriksson? Pure lottery ticket.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Miller, Jones, Robertson could be a very solid 3 down the left when and if NYR need to move on from Ryan.

It's a young forward we could really use. Barron didn't impress our organization. Paju is a long shot. Cuylle's upside is limited. Othmann is still a ways away. Berard is at least 2 years away optimistically. Henriksson? Pure lottery ticket.
I disagree. We allegedly have Kravtsov coming over and more than likely Cuylle making the team. Yes, he might be somewhat limited but all the top spots are taken. Othmann and Berard down the line. Trivigno for depth.

We're better off than most teams IMO. The only teams with more in the cupboard are bottom dwellers.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The obvious move would be to trade a surplus D to address our C depth issue. It's hard to find those kinds of trades without getting the shit end of the stick from a value perspective.

That's why as much as I think BPA is a solid strategy, especially in the first round, sometimes you need to go with positional need if the players are close.

In the past 4 drafts, our highest drafted C was Henriksson, at the very end of the second round. It's not a coincidence that our C depth blows. If you're finding it impossible to trade for a young C, you need to spend a bit more draft capital on them than we have recently.

Reactions: MrAlmost

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The obvious move would be to trade a surplus D to address our C depth issue. It's hard to find those kinds of trades without getting the shit end of the stick from a value perspective.

That's why as much as I think BPA is a solid strategy, especially in the first round, sometimes you need to go with positional need if the players are close.

In the past 4 drafts, our highest drafted C was Henriksson, at the very end of the second round. It's not a coincidence that our C depth blows. If you're finding it impossible to trade for a young C, you need to spend a bit more draft capital on them than we have recently.
giphy.gif

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Personally, I would rather keep Motte than Blais. In an ideal world I'd keep them both, but we're crazy loaded at LW as it is with Kreider, Panarin and Laf, and possibly Othmann and/or Cuylle could push for spots. I suppose it's a good problem to have, though.
I would too. We need Motte's PK ability more.

Reactions: mas0764

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
And I'll stand by what I said - the time to trade Trouba for futures is not now. Scheider can't (and shouldn't be asked to) assume his role and the team is competing for a Cup (believe it or not) and likely will for a few years so the message to the locker room that one of its cornerstones is expendable for someone that might or might not amount to something is terrible. Not to mention that the optics to the owner (something Drury HAS to consider) are awful as well.

If you're trading for prospects then one of our D prospects should be going the other way.

If the cap is the primary consideration then you move Nemeth, Reaves, don't sign Strome, sign Copp, hope Kravtsov sticks, bridge Kakko (who, at this point, is almost certainly not getting anything else), move on from Georgiev, etc...

Moving Trouba, at this point, isn't the answer.

Yeah, a lot of moving parts in that plan. And moving out Nemeth and not signing either Copp or Strome is happening anyway. Doing so still does not free up cap space for guys like Vatrano and Motte. The only way you could bring back someone like Vatrano at ~$3m and Motte and ~$2m would be to free yourself of another big salary.

On it's face I don't think you'd trade Trouba for Motte and Vatrano. But when you factor in a potential 1C also, that becomes way more enticing.

I think people are overrating Trouba a bit. His metrics do not paint the picture of a truly top end defender. If anything his value comes from his offense, really.

I don't think the drop off defensively is nearly as big as people are insinuating by going from him to Schneider. Especially when you factor in improvements from Miller.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
CK MZ Laf
Pan Copp VK
Good Kupari KK
Hunt Rooney Blais
Reeves

Lind Fox
Jones Trouba
Miller Schneid
Hajek

Igor / Rittich

900k in cap space to spare

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I'm certainly open to using Lundkvist to get a young center in here.

I'm just saying I also see the utility that, if, in theory, Trouba had value to get you into the top 10 of the draft after this season is over, and if, in theory, he would waive, there is way more value to that transaction simply than "futures." You are possibly creating room to bring back a 20 goal scorer for your third line. You are bringing aboard a player you feel good about to fill the hardest spot to fill in hockey. You are cementing your future with very little harm to your present.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Yup. Top 6 forward and specifically top 6 centers are way more needed.

Too much focus on this season and next season. Panarin and Kreider are already 30. Need more youth here.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

I agree, but only with the exception that Othmann is closer than that. He'll get his 9 games next season I think and he'll go from there.

I'd have a serious discussion with the kid about going to an NCAA program for a year or two if they don't think he's ready. He destroyed the OHL this year with practically no help and I don't think he has anything left to accomplish or work on there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yup. Top 6 forward and specifically top 6 centers are way more needed.

Too much focus on this season and next season. Panarin and Kreider are already 30. Need more youth here.
It wouldn’t hurt. We don’t want to have a bare cupboard by the second window. Drury has held onto most of the top value assets, but wouldn’t hurt to recoup a few mid round picks.

Question is whether we think Kravstov and Lundkvist, the two most obvious trade chips, can get us a return that would be fair.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
NYR say Kappo is "week to week"
Looking like a lost season for him. Hopefully he can make some kind of impact in the playoffs, if hes back by then.

Not worried about it now but maybe both sides decided playing on the QO is the best move in the short term. He's not getting an offer sheet off an injury riddled year and the Rangers need to save every dollar they can going into the summer.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Looking like a lost season for him. Hopefully he can make some kind of impact in the playoffs, if hes back by then.

Not worried about it now but maybe both sides decided playing on the QO is the best move in the short term. He's not getting an offer sheet off an injury riddled year and the Rangers need to save every dollar they can going into the summer.
1. Week to Week likely translates to 3-4 weeks. Regular season ends in 11 days. So, my guess is, he's out for most of the first round as well. Hopefully we get him back for round 2. Tough way for a young kid to come back into a lineup recovering from a leg injury in the middle of the playoffs.

2. Based on what happened with Kotkaniemi, he could still be offer sheeted. Hopefully not. But based on the glimmers he's shown, he would be a decent risk to sign as a 3-4m offer sheet. Hopefully this is not the case. And hopefully he bets on himself and takes a short term lower offer from us.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
But Trouba is soon to be no better than our 3rd best defenseman.

Where's the cut off? At what point is it too much spent on defense and not enough elsewhere?

Hard to say. I see Trouba right now as our McDonagh behind Tampa's Fox in Hedman. A 1B playing on the 2nd pair due to depth.

I don't see it as a huge issue until Laf/Kakko/whoever else break out. We don't have any major raises coming at forward, and Copp is really the only UFA forward we should be re-signing.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Hard to say. I see Trouba right now as our McDonagh behind Tampa's Fox in Hedman. A 1B playing on the 2nd pair due to depth.

I don't see it as a huge issue until Laf/Kakko/whoever else break out. We don't have any major raises coming at forward, and Copp is really the only UFA forward we should be re-signing.

Problem is we still need a young 1C type and this would be a way to get it along with other benefits. Moving Nils for a young center is one solution, but we are still left cap strapped.

This kills multiple birds with one stone.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Problem is we still need a young 1C type and this would be a way to get it along with other benefits. Moving Nils for a young center is one solution, but we are still left cap strapped.

This kills multiple birds with one stone.
We have Mika locked for 8 more years. We need a center that can grow from 2c to 1c in the next four years. Mika shouldn’t decline too hard until 35 or so. That would also align with the transition to hopefully Kakko and Laf dominating the offense more, and we then have flexibility to move ck/Trouba if necessary.
If we sign copp the center issue is mostly resolved.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We have Mika locked for 8 more years. We need a center that can grow from 2c to 1c in the next four years. Mika shouldn’t decline too hard until 35 or so. That would also align with the transition to hopefully Kakko and Laf dominating the offense more, and we then have flexibility to move ck/Trouba if necessary.
If we sign copp the center issue is mostly resolved.

I'd argue having a second young center who can be a 1C type (even if more defensively inclined but only 60-ish points) is almost a necessity.

I think Mika lasting 4 more years at his current level is relatively optimistic. That's why a top - 10ish type now is very important. In 2-3 years that kid will be ready to take some of the pressure off.

Copp is more of a 2/3 than a 1/2. We need the latter... if not two of them.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You just don't know with Zibanejad.

He could go either way. The Brad Richards/Lecavalier route where you're toast by 34, or the Sakic route where you're still plugging in your late 30s.

The reality is usually somewhere in between. In five years I see Zibby as a solid offensive 2C, but possibly no longer seeing max minutes including PK usage.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad