Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
bitetto needs to be on the roster all year for the expansion draft. they don't have another option to meet the exposure requirement unless they change the games played.
I thought he only needed 30-45 games or something to that effect. That could have been one of the other guys though.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
bitetto needs to be on the roster all year for the expansion draft. they don't have another option to meet the exposure requirement unless they change the games played.
Is there a roster requirement or just a GP requirement? Capfriendly shows Bitetto at 19 games remaining until he fulfills the exposure requirement.

Reactions: egelband and RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Is there a roster requirement or just a GP requirement? Capfriendly shows Bitetto at 19 games remaining until he fulfills the exposure requirement.
Even less than what I thought. I think Blackwell and/or Rooney need something in the 30-40 game range for exposure requirement.

Point is we can start opening night with them in the AHL and as weeks go by and the cap space increases they can recall one or more of them.

Reactions: egelband

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I doubt they expose him in favor of Howden or Lemieux

If they move on from Strome, I want something back. I don't love the deal they gave him; maybe it helps his trade value before the deadline with the extra year. Retain some if necessary. He'll only be on the roster until Gorton finds someone better, a true number 2 centre, which he isn't. Useful player; I don't dislike him as a player, but his stats were boosted by Panarin.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I thought he only needed 30-45 games or something to that effect. That could have been one of the other guys though.

the currently rule is 40 games this year or 70 games over 2 years...bitetto would need 19 games to get to 70. Hajek would need to play 40 games this year which might be tough if the season is shortened.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

it is a GP requirement....but without a 2nd option to meet the requirement why would you put him on waivers and risk having him claimed so someone else can be the 7th dman? its not worth the risk

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kreider Zib Buch
Panarin Strome Kakko
Laf Chytil Gauthier
Lemieux Barron Howden

That's the most obvious lines (i.e. not your dream lines that involve things like Kreider switching sides, trades, etc.)

The defense feels like ass though as it currently sits

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
the currently rule is 40 games this year or 70 games over 2 years...bitetto would need 19 games to get to 70. Hajek would need to play 40 games this year which might be tough if the season is shortened.
I thought I read somewhere, might have been here, that the requirements might change if there is a shortened season

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Kreider Zib Buch
Panarin Strome Kakko
Laf Chytil Gauthier
Lemieux Barron Howden

That's the most obvious lines (i.e. not your dream lines that involve things like Kreider switching sides, trades, etc.)

The defense feels like ass though as it currently sits

Yea they kinda need a miracle dump of Smith . I’d even sign Vatanen for LD one year even though he shoots Right

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I thought I read somewhere, might have been here, that the requirements might change if there is a shortened season

that has been discussed because logically it makes sense, but nothing official. the league hasn't even committed to not playing a full 82 games season so we aren't going to see the number adjusted, if it is, until the official game count is set.

ideally for us, it will be dropped to 50 games so we aren't forced to actually play bitetto if he doesn't deserve it...but i'd still carry him as the 7th guy until someone else approaches the new target.

Reactions: RGY

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
What I would like to know is if getting all these guys under contract at reasonable prices allows us to make a trade that makes sense. Assuming Lemieux signs for 1.5 tomorrow, we have about 2 Mill in space to work with after the Bonus Cushion. Though I know trades are a foreign concept to NHL GMs atm @Edge @BBKers

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What I would like to know is if getting all these guys under contract at reasonable prices allows us to make a trade that makes sense. Assuming Lemieux signs for 1.5 tomorrow, we have about 2 Mill in space to work with after the Bonus Cushion. Though I know trades are a foreign concept to NHL GMs atm @Edge @BBKers

after the bonus cushion if lemieux gets 1.5 mil we'd have closer to $1 mil left

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
after the bonus cushion if lemieux gets 1.5 mil we'd have closer to $1 mil left
But it is about $2.5-$3.5 million if we send guys down and roll the minimum 20 roster players on opening night. And as I have said no we should max that space out. But there is flexibility.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I am going to venture a guess that even if guys do down, you may see a desire for some flexibility --- perhaps at the deadline.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
But it is about $2.5-$3.5 million if we send guys down and roll the minimum 20 roster players on opening night. And as I have said no we should max that space out. But there is flexibility.

I don't think you'll see anyone added to start the year unless its a trade with someone going out...but as the season moves along and you are trading a pro-rated salary plus many of the bonuses become non-issues it should give us plenty of flexibility approaching the deadline to make moves if needed.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
upload_2020-11-5_21-2-53.gif

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
Remember Chytil is 21. He shows flashes of pure skill which bodes very well for his future. Having said that, I like that the team isn’t rushing him. If anything the Strome contract gives him time. And he will have better skill around him given Laf or whoever drops down to play with him. By 23 he could very well be a beast.

Reactions: cheech70

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With Covid protocols for AHL and NHL movement combined with the shortened season, teams are going to want to have 23 man rosters.

Otherwise a couple injuries or sicknesses and you’re screwed dressing 16 guys

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Personally, I have not heard anything about any trades for a longer time. But I do know the NYR org want to improve the team (if possible) and some blockbusters have been looked at. This includes looking at the Lindholms, Calgary, Vegas and W Nylander... Where it goes, nobody knows...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
With Covid protocols for AHL and NHL movement combined with the shortened season, teams are going to want to have 23 man rosters.

Otherwise a couple injuries or sicknesses and you’re screwed dressing 16 guys

I read the AHL roster may travel w NHL and play the same arenas so in that case all teams would carry 20 since they can call up someone easy.

Not sure how that would work though. Day game wouldn’t have many fans

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I read the AHL roster may travel w NHL and play the same arenas so in that case all teams would carry 20 since they can call up someone easy.

Not sure how that would work though. Day game wouldn’t have many fans
That doesn't sound very smart, what if someone gets it and now it spreads between both the AHL and NHL team? Then you really have a problem getting enough players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad