Stamford CT
BF5D8ADF-49B1-4F8E-9BF9-A6623DAAE31C.png

Can just buy him out if he sucks ass.

:sarcasm:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Also I'm still just blown away by the front office's decision to bring back the same damn team minus Lafreniere and not even attempt to address the team's issues that actually did them in last year.

They clearly don't care too much about this upcoming year, that's the only explanation that make sense
I'm still blown away by people who think they could have done much to actually change the team.

They aren't winning the cup next season. Time to start believing that even if you don't want to.

Reactions: egelband

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This horse has been beaten to death but there’s a big gulf between signing a superstar and bringing back largely the same team

Evidently that’s too much nuance for some too get through their skulls lol

Reactions: rangers1314

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This horse has been beaten to death but there’s a big gulf between signing a superstar and bringing back largely the same team

Evidently that’s too much nuance for some too get through their skulls lol
Given the cap implications, the upcoming expansion draft and the need to see what they have under the hood, what exactly are you advocating?

Scully Scultore

Apr 22, 2019
Is that you Jeff! I mean why wouldn’t they walk from anything over 4.5? He’s not going to likely even get 3.6...no one has space and other UFAs are sitting around

If Strome clearly isn’t part of their long term plan why not just sign Haula for like 3 per
Either that can’t get haula for 3 per or they think Strome will be better
Probably the latter

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Also I'm still just blown away by the front office's decision to bring back the same damn team minus Lafreniere and not even attempt to address the team's issues that actually did them in last year.

They clearly don't care too much about this upcoming year, that's the only explanation that make sense

If is really? Or does it make way more sense that Gorton tried to make moves and other teams didn't bite?

Not doing something doesn't mean they didn't try. If he had made a bad deal, you'd be criticizing him for that instead.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This gives Gorton another off-season and (2) trade deadlines to trade Strome AND it provides insurance and insulation for a young guy like Chytil to grow at his own pace. Also it provides another player to be exposed to Seattle. I'd say 2 years is kind of ideal honestly.

Strome insulating Chytil until 22-23? I think most of us are of the opinion Chytil is already or at least almost as effective a player. The insulation should stop midway through this season at latest, not after another 2 seasons.

If the expansion draft weren’t in play, I’d hate this as a two year deal. Seattle will be looking for early leaders on short term contracts that help them get above the cap floor.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I doubt they expose him in favor of Howden or Lemieux

I would say that would be dependent on how/if Howden progresses no? If Howden had a really good season, especially defensively and on draws (shocking to most, I know), combined with a Chytil progression, they'd be able to slot up. However unlikely, in that scenario, I'd think they would expose Strome over Howden.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As i said earlier in the offseason, there's gonna be a ton of disappointed people when we return with basically the same team minus a few tweaks. Not sure why everyone is surprised.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Strome insulating Chytil until 22-23? I think most of us are of the opinion Chytil is already or at least almost as effective a player. The insulation should stop midway through this season at latest, not after another 2 seasons.

If the expansion draft weren’t in play, I’d hate this as a two year deal. Seattle will be looking for early leaders on short term contracts that help them get above the cap floor.

I feel like seattle might end up grabbing a bunch of mediocre to bad contracts for a serious haul in return. At least a few clubs might even worse decisions than the vegas draft with the flat cap next year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Would we have traded Brady Skjei, Marc Staal (with his 1 year remaining), Jesper Fast (resigned at AAV $2M for 3 years), Lias Andersson, a future 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 3rd round pick in 2020 (#72 - CGY chose Jeremie Poirier) for JMFJ (with his current one year contract), #19 in the 2020 draft (NYR chose Braden Schneider), #1 OA (I know - it fell into our laps so we did not really do anything to "get it"), #60 in the 2020 draft (NYR chose William Cuylle) and our trio of new tweeners (Bitetto, Blackwell and Rooney) on their current deals? Because this is the roster change we have gotten... so far. But this also opens up other possibilities ...

Rhetorical question, right?

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
why would they protect a pending UFA they barely want instead of someone with contract protections that they obviously value (whether Howden, Lemieux or Gauthier)?
Right now, probably not. But if we get a shortened season worth of data that looks a lot like 2019-20, it's pretty close to "up or out" for those three? Lemieux is a different element. Weirder things have happened than Howden or Gauthier being late bloomers. But you should want to lose a bottom of the roster guy in the expansion draft.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This contract is also extremely similar to the Namestnikov and Spooner contracts. They were both moved, Spooner for Strome.

I do not think this is more than a 1 year deal, with a 2nd year to either expose to Seattle or trade after this season is over.

Yea I mean Strome should put up points w Panarin and hold some value in a trade after expansion

They should be able to move him in the last year if they can find a 2C ufa

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Looking at the numbers, if we were to send Bitetto and Blackwell/Rooney down to start the season and with the bonus cushion in mind, it looks like we have $3.918 in cap space available without Lemieux signed. Figure after Lemieux signs we are at about $2.60 million in space. That might be enough to sign a veteran on a bargain deal. We could even send down the other half of Rooney/Blackwell to get to $3.30 million in space and roll with 12 F / 6 D on opening night. We definitely should not max that $3.30 out but we have flexibility and we could add one of those depth guys back a few weeks into the season as we get a little more wiggle room with the cap. So it is not completely out of the question they add one more forward.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Looking at the numbers, if we were to send Bitetto and Blackwell/Rooney down to start the season and with the bonus cushion in mind, it looks like we have $3.918 in cap space available without Lemieux signed. Figure after Lemieux signs we are at about $2.60 million in space. That might be enough to sign a veteran on a bargain deal. We could even send down the other half of Rooney/Blackwell to get to $3.30 million in space and roll with 12 F / 6 D on opening night. We definitely should not max that $3.30 out but we have flexibility and we could add one of those depth guys back a few weeks into the season as we get a little more wiggle room with the cap. So it is not completely out of the question they add one more forward.

bitetto needs to be on the roster all year for the expansion draft. they don't have another option to meet the exposure requirement unless they change the games played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad