Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
You're more hopeful than I am haha

I hope he's exposed but I'm not holding my breath. If he has another good season they're absolutely going to protect him
I don't think so. Even if he has value as a point producer, his AAV, his upcoming UFA status, his dependency on Panarin will all still weigh against him. Even if FO hopes he isnt claimed, they would still gamble that Seattle would stay away.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Also I'm still just blown away by the front office's decision to bring back the same damn team minus Lafreniere and not even attempt to address the team's issues that actually did them in last year.

They clearly don't care too much about this upcoming year, that's the only explanation that make sense

Or we have a bunch of 19-22 year old players that are going to need to play in the NHL in the very near future. Tying yourself into outside deals and essentially blocking those players is detrimental to the further development of the player and the team.

And, those outside players see the quality and depth of the farm system. Why sign even a 1 year deal in NY when you can be shipped halfway through it for one of those young players to get in.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Also I'm still just blown away by the front office's decision to bring back the same damn team minus Lafreniere and not even attempt to address the team's issues that actually did them in last year.

They clearly don't care too much about this upcoming year, that's the only explanation that make sense

The biggest issues last year was goaltending before Shesterkin was brought over, Staal and defensive structure. All three were addressed. 1LD will be addressed in due time (and even at this point you're ASSUMING that Gorton is done). Instead, with signing Strome (and ADA earlier) he has more certainty in knowing what he has to work with.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

This was always going to be a year where any growth would have to be driven internally. I thought they would have a different look based on Gorton's comments. I'm guess the markets weren't where he wanted them for the players he was thinking about moving on from.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The biggest issues last year was goaltending before Shesterkin was brought over, Staal and defensive structure. All three were addressed. 1LD will be addressed in due time (and even at this point you're ASSUMING that Gorton is done). Instead, with signing Strome (and ADA earlier) he has more certainty in knowing what he has to work with.
Well they didn't fix the Staal issue, Jack Johnson is worse than Staal and he's going to play.

I have no idea if the defensive structure will be better. Martin seems like someone who can fix that but ultimately it's still Quinn's system (of which he has none).

And the other major issue that was evident was bottom 6 depth, which they've changed some minor parts out but is largely the same at this point.

Goaltending I never considered an issue so we'll disagree there.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

I'm willing to assume they explored options to improve and found the market untenable, have punted in the hopes of more favorable conditions down the road.

Reactions: Thirty One

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I wonder if FO made calls to the agents of Haula and/or Granlund before settling with Strome. I also wonder if some offers haven't been rescinded and if there's a contingency for creating space if one of them were to sign at a favorable number.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Well they didn't fix the Staal issue, Jack Johnson is worse than Staal and he's going to play.

I have no idea if the defensive structure will be better. Martin seems like someone who can fix that but ultimately it's still Quinn's system (of which he has none).

And the other major issue that was evident was bottom 6 depth, which they've changed some minor parts out but is largely the same at this point.

Goaltending I never considered an issue so we'll disagree there.

Gorton was able to get rid of Staal's cap hit which was huge. Also I don't view JJ as Staal's replacement but rather a cheap and bury-able insurance. Hajek, Miller and Reunanen will get a chance to take Staal's roster spot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You're more hopeful than I am haha

I hope he's exposed but I'm not holding my breath. If he has another good season they're absolutely going to protect him

I doubt they protect him but say Seatlle doesn't take him and he has a good season, worst case scenario the Rangers have a good offensive player on the 2nd or 3rd line?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I doubt they protect him but say Seatlle doesn't take him and he has a good season, worst case scenario the Rangers have a good offensive player on the 2nd or 3rd line?
rephrase to 'someone who doesnt hold Panarin back too much but costs 4.5 AAV', and I agree. Also, I think zero shot a third line can survive with Strome and his defensive unwillingness, offensive-zone penalties and no one like Panarin to carry the puck/finish plays for him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Better not happen this year. IMO Kakko would be a pp beast if he gets first unit time and not just the final 20 second mop up time on the second unit.
All Kakko has to do is show up to camp and outperform him. If he does that, I doubt that Quinn would have an issue having Kakko on PP1.

Last year, Kakko did not give any impression that he was ready to be a beast in any situation.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

What were you expecting? This is still a work in progress and they need some more time to evaluate what they have on hand. There were no earth shaking moves that were being done

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Would we have traded Brady Skjei, Marc Staal (with his 1 year remaining), Jesper Fast (resigned at AAV $2M for 3 years), Lias Andersson, a future 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 3rd round pick in 2020 (#72 - CGY chose Jeremie Poirier) for JMFJ (with his current one year contract), #19 in the 2020 draft (NYR chose Braden Schneider), #1 OA (I know - it fell into our laps so we did not really do anything to "get it"), #60 in the 2020 draft (NYR chose William Cuylle) and our trio of new tweeners (Bitetto, Blackwell and Rooney) on their current deals? Because this is the roster change we have gotten... so far. But this also opens up other possibilities ...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Would we have traded Brady Skjei, Marc Staal (with his 1 year remaining), Jesper Fast (resigned at AAV $2M for 3 years), a future 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 3rd round pick in 2020 (#72 - CGY chose Jeremie Poirier) for JMFJ (with his current one year contract), #19 in the 2020 draft (NYR chose Braden Schneider), #1 OA and our trio of new tweeners (Bitetto, Blackwell and Rooney) on their current deal? Because this is the roster change we have gotten... so far.
Yes.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Pretty sure I have never seen an asterisk next to Nylander's stats. Maybe I just did not look that hard.
You're legally blind if you think Strome can hold Nylander's jock strap. Nylander was good on lines that didnt also include an elite player.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You're legally blind if you think Strome can hold Nylander's jock strap. Nylander was good on lines that didnt also include an elite player.
Have you ever actually looked at what their stats were at the same age and at the same point of their career? Just curiousl, before we start to discuss jockstraps.

Perhaps what the right thing to do is actually have an asterisk next to anyone who did not play with Panarin. That way it would easily be able to discern how many real 70 point players the team has. Should probably start with Fast. Oh, wait. His offense actually did not blow up.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Have you ever actually looked at what their stats were at the same age and at the same point of their career? Just curiousl, before we start to discuss jockstraps.

Perhaps what the right thing to do is actually have an asterisk next to anyone who did not play with Panarin. That way it would easily be able to discern how many real 70 point players the team has. Should probably start with Fast. Oh, wait. His offense actually did not blow up.
His two years here are the total outlier for his career. Look at his last year here and the next two years in Was.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Smart to sign him for two years in stead of taking a one year ruling. If he has an OK year he can be included in a package for a top center next off season. And the team which is trading that center, can talk to Strome about an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad