Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Why would any team spend assets acquiring most of those guys? No one is giving a pick for Dowd, Burmistrov or Wiercioch, they are barely even NHLers. No one is paying 3/4 of the Sedins remaining salary for their current production, we can only retain on one because of the crappy Hansen deal. Vanek is the ultimate playoff ghost but maybe, maybe we can get a late pick for him by some other foolish GM. Gudbranson we could probably get a 2nd from another dinosaur manager but if Benning does trade him it's probably for another roster player, likely a forward.

We have far worse assets to trade off this deadline than years past. All our vets that had value are gone and the FA signings Benning made to replace them have been disastrous. I don't think anyone would take Gagner or Eriksson even with retention, only way we get rid of them is a buyout. Sutter has a NTC and a high salary which limits his already low value. Could maybe get a mid-late pick for one of our goalies but that would mean Benning admitting the season is lost.

You can’t even buyout Erikssons contract thanks to that contract.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
I hope it’s Gudbranson for something.

Yeah Gudbranson for a top-9 forward would be perfectly fine — I wouldn't expect we'd get much in return, but we'd at least avoid the prospect of a $4 million/year Real Gud extension. Anything else worries me.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Would not be surprised if its Hutton we are dangling. Especially with the emergence for Pouliout and With Juolevi eligible for AHL/Canucks next year.

Hutton for Hosang as a base ?

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if Ottawa would agree to a Gudbranson for Dzingel trade. He embarrassed the Canucks last year. 25 years old, so this management group would still consider him to be a "kid." Or, the reality is the Canucks get Tom Pyatt instead. I also saw this:

Isles would likely ask for Hutton, but if Benning throws in the extra draft pick, they might take Gudbranson. I would hope he dump Burmistrov on the Islanders over a pick, but I don't expect much.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Weren't there rumblings about a potential Hutton for Spooner swap last season? It'd be a bad trade, sure, but Benning is apparently a fan of the player.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I exchanged some ideas on the trade forum and came up with a NYI fan who was interested in getting Granlund and Edler. Adding them both would make them contenders for a few more years in my mind so that hypothetical was interesting enough to put time on it. We came up with them getting both for 2017 2nd (CGY), 2017 2nd (NYI), Parker Wotherspoon and Thomas Hickey. Add to that the Dzingel-Gudbranson idea and I'd be quite pleased. Then trade Vanek and Burmi too while we're at it.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Dzingel Gagner Goldobin
Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

Hutton Tanev
Hickey Pouliot
Del Zotto Stecher

That sweet sweet tank..

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why do I get the idea that management is just jumping at the idea to trade Hutton or any sort of pick.

Because they have made zero moves/decisions that indicate they are going to rebuild this team and have shown time and time again that they will invest in veterans, give them unearned spots on the team, block young players, and trade futures for win-now pieces.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Because they have made zero moves/decisions that indicate they are going to rebuild this team and have shown time and time again that they will invest in veterans, give them unearned spots on the team, block young players, and trade futures for win-now pieces.
Which young players have they blocked?

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Sell sell sell even before the deadline. Vets like Gagner and eriksson needs to go for anything.
Tanev keeps getting hurt. Hes good but its best if canucks trade him as soon as he s healthy again.

Something like liljegren + 1st

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Goldobin and Rodin, who would have been no worse than Sam Gagner filling a useless spot.
Dont disagree on Gagners performance this season...but Goldoblin and Rodin were not good enough to make the team out of training camp...It was there for everyone to see on the ice.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Dont disagree on Gagners performance this season...but Goldoblin and Rodin were not good enough to make the team out of training camp...It was there for everyone to see on the ice.

And Sam Gagner just walks onto the team and doesn't get held accountable because he has a 3 year contract.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And Sam Gagner just walks onto the team and doesn't get held accountable because he has a 3 year contract.
But he is an NHL player..who put up good numbers with CBJ last season...Goldobin and Rodin are not NHL players,who both had poor camps, and neither deserved to be on the team...How are they blocked?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Really wish we exposed Granlund and kept Hansen, even though we would likely still be stuck with Sbisa. But who could have guessed Granlund regressing this much?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really wish we exposed Granlund and kept Hansen, even though we would likely still be stuck with Sbisa. But who could have guessed Granlund regressing this much?

Uh, like, most of this board who were trying to explain this exact thing all of last season?

He's literally having the exact season I (and many others here) expected. And he hasn't regressed. He's playing exactly the same, just without the massive offensive opportunities and PP time he was getting last year and the unsustainable shooting %.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Granlund arguably started the year better. He was doing a reasonable job on the shutdown line with Dorsett and Sutter, which was an actual progression from last year. Even without the offense, if he could have carved a niche as a defensively responsible bottom-6 winger with a little bit of offense and some shiftiness...there's a role for that player on a good team. There was a stretch in late October where he looked engaged and was driving play, even if the numbers didn't fully show it. Someone made the exaggerated comparison that he looked like a homeless man's Datsyuk, which for like 3-4 games wasn't all that off.

Since then, he's gone back to floating and without the cushy minutes and usage from last year, appears to be exactly the player that he was in Calgary. A fringe NHL player, who if given cushy minutes could get back to scoring at a decent clip, but is not much better than the best of the players that hit waivers.

If there is a GM who happened to pay attention during that short stretch of games (think it started against Minnesota IIRC) and is willing to take a bet on that player after a 19 goal season...I'd move him immediately. Just don't really have much faith that he'll get back to that level or ever play close to it consistently.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad