Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The off ice things are in the past..im sure he has grown up some otherwise we would be hearing stuff..he is doing pretty good i buffalo this season and they seem pretty happy with him.

I don’t care if it is in the past. I don’t want a person who has “alegidly” hit women on my hockey team. There is some things you shouldn’t get a second chance for... or a third or fourth.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If sedins accepts a trade they should be traded...i think they still got some trade-value.

Even if they would accept a trade, we can't retain enough money to make it worthwhile for a team to give anything worthwhile up in a trade.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Even if they would accept a trade, we can't retain enough money to make it worthwhile for a team to give anything worthwhile up in a trade.

I can think of a couple teams that can take the cap hit without shedding any salary. If you then add teams that CAN trade dumps the list should be about 8 teams or so. I did the math a few months ago - things have changed since then but I'm sure it's still doable.

I just don't see them wanting to move. I honestly wish they'd reconsider. They've given a lot to this franchise and owe us nothing. I'd rather see them try and win a cup with another team than wither away with us. I don't believe they take the hard matchups either so it's not like they're sheltering the younger core.

I could see a team giving up a late first and a prospect on Goldobin/Dahlen's level, which I'd do in a heartbeat. Now if you add a cap 2-year cap dump we could look at additional picks or a stronger prospect but I don't see that happening.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I can think of a couple teams that can take the cap hit without shedding any salary. If you then add teams that CAN trade dumps the list should be about 8 teams or so. I did the math a few months ago - things have changed since then but I'm sure it's still doable.

I just don't see them wanting to move. I honestly wish they'd reconsider. They've given a lot to this franchise and owe us nothing. I'd rather see them try and win a cup with another team than wither away with us. I don't believe they take the hard matchups either so it's not like they're sheltering the younger core.

I could see a team giving up a late first and a prospect on Goldobin/Dahlen's level, which I'd do in a heartbeat. Now if you add a cap 2-year cap dump we could look at additional picks or a stronger prospect but I don't see that happening.

Yeah, would love to get something if they do intend to to come back on a 1 year cheap deal. If they can get a legit shot at the cup too that would make me very happy. But like you said, they don't owe us everything—they've given us everything....they are the reason we didn't become a 10 year basement dweller after the WCE era.

Reactions: racerjoe

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

Nashville has cap space, is a good fit, and Poile is a known recent admirer of the Sedins. They will have 11 million in cap at the deadline and with retention on one, it's be 10 million in full year cap. They can swing it.

Will never happen though. They are not leaving.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Nashville has cap space, is a good fit, and Poile is a known recent admirer of the Sedins. They will have 11 million in cap at the deadline and with retention on one, it's be 10 million in full year cap. They can swing it.

Will never happen though. They are not leaving.

Would be super happy if they went to Nashville. High quality organization with a really good team.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I doubt that the twins will get moved but if they do, I’d love to see them in Anaheim, reunited with Kesler and Bieksa (and Miller I guess).

I’m not sure how it would work from a cap standpoint, or what prospects Anaheim has, but I’d love to see our old reunited core get one last kick at the can.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Build a team - $75 million in cap space.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to articulate my idea properly, but I want to know your thoughts on how you would allot your cap space towards a team if you were given $75 million under a perfect idealistic scenario (assume that all players on your team are 'worth their money'........no one exceeds expectations nor falls short of it).

1st line LW'er (5.0 million) - 1st Line C (5.5 million) - 1st line RW'er (5.0 million) = 16.5 million
2nd line LW'er (4.0 million) - 2nd line C (4.5 million) - 3rd line RW'er (4.0 million) = 12.5 million
3rd line LW'er (2.0 million) - 2nd line C (3.0 million) - 3rd line RW'er (2.0 million) = 7.5 million
4th line LW'er (1 million) - 4th line C (1 million) - 3rd line RW'er (1 million) = 3 million

1st pairing LH defenseman (6 million)-2nd pairing defenseman (6 million) = 12 million
2nd pairing LH defenseman (4 million) - 2nd pairing defenseman (4 million) = 8 million
3rd pairing LW defenseman (3 million) - 3rd pairing RH defenseman (3 million) = 6 million

1st Goaltender = 6 million
2nd goaltender = 1 million

Extra forward: 700K
Extra Defenseman: 700K
Extra Defenseman: 1 million

If I'm doing my Math right, that works out to 75 million (74.9 million).

Assuming that everyone performed up to contract (not exceeding nor falling short of expectations), I wonder if a team like this (built on superior depth) would be better than a team that had a couple of massive superstars (10-13 million dollar range), but spent less in other areas.

In other words - does superior depth defeat a team consisting of a few players that are generally considered to be at or close to being the best in the league?

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
St Louis is contending this year, and I would love to see Klim Kostin as a Canuck. What kind of package do you think they'd be looking for on that team? Another scorer like Vanek (and I don't want to trade Vanek) would be a given, but do they need centers? D? A back up?

Harry Rag

Dec 12, 2017
I can't wait for the trade deadline this year. With all the ammo Benning has at his disposal (expiring contracts of the Sedins, Vanek, Guddy, Dowd, Burmistrov, Wiercoch, etc), it could make for a very interesting day.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
St Louis is contending this year, and I would love to see Klim Kostin as a Canuck. What kind of package do you think they'd be looking for on that team? Another scorer like Vanek (and I don't want to trade Vanek) would be a given, but do they need centers? D? A back up?

They could use a scorer like Vanek but it's not really a big need right now for the Blues. Looking at their depth chart I think they'd be looking for a defensive third line winger who could kill penalties or a 4/5 defensemen.

Either way there not parting with Kostin, they traded for the pick must have saw something in the kid.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I can't wait for the trade deadline this year. With all the ammo Benning has at his disposal (expiring contracts of the Sedins, Vanek, Guddy, Dowd, Burmistrov, Wiercoch, etc), it could make for a very interesting day.

disposal is probably the right word considering most of those players are garbage.

Might get a mid round pick from a desperate team for Gudbranson or Vanek but that's about it. You couldn't give Dowd, Burmistrov, Wiercoch, etc away for free at this point.

Sedins aren't going to waive and even if they did there is very few contenders with the cap space to fit them in.

I just hope we don't trade any draft picks for more bustville projects. lowered expectations.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
They could use a scorer like Vanek but it's not really a big need right now for the Blues. Looking at their depth chart I think they'd be looking for a defensive third line winger who could kill penalties or a 4/5 defensemen.

Either way there not parting with Kostin, they traded for the pick must have saw something in the kid.

And here we traded off all our third line defensive wingers last year...Granlund? Sutter (with retention I'd guess)? And Gudbranson could generously be described as a 5 D. Although Del Zotto has gone from hero to zero on us too...

In all fairness though, that pick was offered for Ryan Reaves and a 2nd, with Sundqvist. I'd take that deal no matter who was on the board.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Is Karlsson out of our range as a trade option, considering we don't want to trade picks at the moment

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It pains me to even write about this as a Sens fan but IF Karlsson is traded the team who trades for him better be 100% sure he is extending with them. If he doesn't stay with Ottawa I bet he is going to free agency and he will have his pick of any team in the league. Probably a team in the East as his wife is from Ottawa and they will likely still maintain a presence there. Whoever gets him might get Methot as well who is FA the same time. They were very close in Ottawa, still pisses me off the Sens didn't do more to keep him.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
And here we traded off all our third line defensive wingers last year...Granlund? Sutter (with retention I'd guess)? And Gudbranson could generously be described as a 5 D. Although Del Zotto has gone from hero to zero on us too...

In all fairness though, that pick was offered for Ryan Reaves and a 2nd, with Sundqvist. I'd take that deal no matter who was on the board.

Sutter and Gudbranson would be my guess but not for Kostin. Maybe a pick and a B/C prospect.

Very fair I would have too.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Is Karlsson out of our range as a trade option, considering we don't want to trade picks at the moment

Gotta imagine Ottawa would be asking us for something around Horvat, Boeser, or Pettersson for Karlsson, which is just a long way of saying it's not a good fit for us.

-----

(Edited because the original post said the exact opposite of what I meant :facepalm:)

Last edited:

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
lebrun on insider trading said we were looking for a Top 9 forward....f***s sake why? somebody hide his phone.

stop trying to plug a leaky ship with gum.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The team needs more than one guy. They cannot replace Dorsett from within. They do not have center depth. They are soft as kittens.

Canucks need to reload. I doubt they can do anything now that will result in playoffs. At least they saw some success early and know better what to model on.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Why would any team spend assets acquiring most of those guys? No one is giving a pick for Dowd, Burmistrov or Wiercioch, they are barely even NHLers. No one is paying 3/4 of the Sedins remaining salary for their current production, we can only retain on one because of the crappy Hansen deal. Vanek is the ultimate playoff ghost but maybe, maybe we can get a late pick for him by some other foolish GM. Gudbranson we could probably get a 2nd from another dinosaur manager but if Benning does trade him it's probably for another roster player, likely a forward.

We have far worse assets to trade off this deadline than years past. All our vets that had value are gone and the FA signings Benning made to replace them have been disastrous. I don't think anyone would take Gagner or Eriksson even with retention, only way we get rid of them is a buyout. Sutter has a NTC and a high salary which limits his already low value. Could maybe get a mid-late pick for one of our goalies but that would mean Benning admitting the season is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad