Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So looking at the offer of Shaw for Sutter on the main trade boards...would that be a trade we take?

I'm on the fence. Shaw has put up better numbers, but he's more restrictive because of his penalty and missed game history, and his contract is a year longer. He is more physical, and more of an agitator, then Sutter is, but I'm still not sold he's a better choice then Sutter is.

I guess the more philosophical question is do we admit defeat with that contract, and roll the dice with another, similar contract for a very different player?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'd prefer Shaw on the wing over Sutter at centre. Either Gagner or Granlund can slide to centre then, probably Gagner. I really don't like Shaw though and think he would get a massive suspension if he pulled anything dirty with a Canucks sweater on.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
I'd prefer Shaw on the wing over Sutter at centre. Either Gagner or Granlund can slide to centre then, probably Gagner. I really don't like Shaw though and think he would get a massive suspension if he pulled anything dirty with a Canucks sweater on.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I'd love to get rid of Sutter and Shaw is better offensively and a lot more physical, but he also takes a lot of dumb penalties and doesn't have much PK experience (something we need pretty badly). Would hope we could do better.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would be looking at the contracts with this one. Trying to figure out if one of those contracts is better for us.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
There's no chance Sutter is being traded on his contract. Especially in the salary cap era. We were lucky to dump the Sbisa contract and basically use that money to pay Guddy.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
No thanks. Dislike Sutter as a player and obv the contract is a massive fail but shaws sucks too and i dont have reason to believe sutter the person is a pos.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The arguments that answer my question are what are running through my head when I revisit it when I've been bored at work.

I'm glad there wasn't a unanimous yes or no at least.

There's no chance Sutter is being traded on his contract. Especially in the salary cap era. We were lucky to dump the Sbisa contract and basically use that money to pay Guddy.

I disagree that he can't be traded. He will just be traded for another player on a bloated contract, which...I think is more about a better fit. Shaw's play could make him a better on ice fit, but I think there would be a personality conflict with current and future leadership.

As for Sbisa...I'd rather have kept him to be honest. If we lost Sutter or Dorsett instead, that would have kept us in a better position then one year of Sbisa.

And Gudbranson's expired cap hit paid for his current cap hit. It was a stagnant signing, dollar wise. Basically it takes him to UFA, doesn't commit us to him if he stinks, and gives both sides a chance to find a fit.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sutter probably draws Sedin line duty. They'll try Gagne and probably everybody else but Sutter is defensively sound and therefore the safe choice. I would love to believe the Sedins, with Gagne, could recapture the Vrbata era production but that's asking a lot.

The Sedins may benefit from Del Zotto more than expected. They haven't had an option on defense since the glory days of Salo and Ehrhoff. If Del Zotto has any shot at all he can profit from Sedins' superb playmaking.

An interesting option is the Sedins as elite second/third line. They can only benefit from reduced minutes and spot deployment. Avoiding the crushing pressure of the top checking unit would benefit them, too. I think it's a good way to move forward.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sutter probably draws Sedin line duty. They'll try Gagne and probably everybody else but Sutter is defensively sound and therefore the safe choice. I would love to believe the Sedins, with Gagne, could recapture the Vrbata era production but that's asking a lot.

The Sedins may benefit from Del Zotto more than expected. They haven't had an option on defense since the glory days of Salo and Ehrhoff. If Del Zotto has any shot at all he can profit from Sedins' superb playmaking.

An interesting option is the Sedins as elite second/third line. They can only benefit from reduced minutes and spot deployment. Avoiding the crushing pressure of the top checking unit would benefit them, too. I think it's a good way to move forward.

Unless the newly constructed first line can produce at the level of a normal NHL top line, the Sedins will see the top checking line no matter what "# line" you want to call them. If an opponent's "second" unit is equally effective vs Bo's "first line" there is no reason for their top checkers to be used vs. them, thus, leaving "the crushing pressure of the top checking unit", as you so fittingly describe them to suffocate Henrik and Co. We/you are too used to WD. Other coaches will match lines based on the effectiveness of the lines Travis puts on the ice.

Of course this will be lots easier in their own barns, but good coaches get the match-ups they want most of the time.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
D.Sedin (15G,29A,44PTS)-H.Sedin (15G,35A,50PTS)-Granlund (19G,13A,32PTS)
Baertschi (18G,17A,35PTS)-Horvat (20G,32A,52PTS)-Boeser (4G,1A,5PTS)
Eriksson (11G,13A,24PTS)-Sutter (17G,17A,34PTS)-Goldobin (3G,0A)
Gaunce (0G,5A,5PTS)-Burmistrov (5G,9A,14PTS) -Boucher (5G,2A,7PTS)
extra fwd: Dorsett, Rodin, Chaput, Megna

Edler (6G,15A,21PTS)-Stecher (3G,21A,24PTS)
DelZotto (6G,12A,18PTS)-Tanev (2G,8A,10PTS)
Hutton (5G,14A,19PTS)-Gudbranson (1G,5A,6PTS)
extra d:Weircioch

Markstrom (10W 11L 3OTL 2.63GAA .910sv%)
Nilsson (10W 10L 4OTL 2.67GAA .923sv%)

I think this is what the lines will look like coming out of camp. Granlund looked pretty lethal with the Twins last season and Sutter is our best guy on the faceoff dot. I think Chaput,Megna,Biega and Rodin will see waivers after camp ends.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I think this is what the lines will look like coming out of camp. Granlund looked pretty lethal with the Twins last season and Sutter is our best guy on the faceoff dot. I think Chaput,Megna,Biega and Rodin will see waivers after camp ends.

I have read and reread your projected roster and I note that Gagner does not show up as the extra forward nor in the lineup. He will be in the line up. You have to send one more guy in your group to Utica.

Also, if Rodin is set to go, he won't be on the plane to Utica either. I'm also of the mind that Olli will at least get 9 games forcing another defender to pass waivers. This training camp is going to be much more interesting than any in a long time.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I have read and reread your projected roster and I note that Gagner does not show up as the extra forward nor in the lineup. He will be in the line up. You have to send one more guy in your group to Utica.

Also, if Rodin is set to go, he won't be on the plane to Utica either. I'm also of the mind that Olli will at least get 9 games forcing another defender to pass waivers. This training camp is going to be much more interesting than any in a long time.

I definitely forgot to add him but that just means someone on the right side is getting sent down/traded as Gagner isn't really a guy that does well on the draws. Rodin is still a 100% question mark. Has never been able to stay healthy. And most definitely, I will be very intrigued by this group we have. Lots of spots that are there if you want to work for it.

I wonder what Gaunce+Tanev package could land us. I wouldn't rule out GMJB trading ChrisT prior to season start.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
As soon as RyJo signed I laughed in my head and immediately thought of how ridiculous Bowie Horvat had been around the whole thing. He knew with every fabric of his soul that RyJo was signing with us.

Waiting for his spin on this.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

gonna be lots of battles at camp this year.wild cards to Rodin,Juolivi,Goldy ect pushing for spots,might force jimbo into making a trade or 2.
Just wish our forwards had more grit.Gonna be a long season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad