Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are not high scoring. They need to fix that. I wouldn't want to expend any goalies or defensemen, personally. I would augment either position, though.

My focus would be on very young goal scorers, like every team. Canucks do not have a playmaking center to set up a sniper on the wing, unless they keep Sedin(s). This is a fail. Goal scorers want a set-up man and top minutes. Canucks, therefore, IMO, need an elite center to push Horvat down to second line. Hahaha! Easy, right? Actually, Canucks might have enough wingers to mount a credible top six, they need a set-up man, though, to exploit it.

An easy fix for this season would be to move Daniel to another line, as a set-up man. He is an elite playmaker. Passing to someone not related might open up his game? Sadly, Daniel is too important to meddle with.

So, they will need to overpay for a new center. FA doesn't offer a guy like that, so they will have to trade away significant assets. Is it worth that? Should they wait for their prospects to become ready? They cannot wait if they want playoffs and Sedins at the same time. This was known all Summer. They didn't get a guy, unless they pictured Gagne as a top liner. Benning is possibly working on it but at what cost? Teams will want Tanev and Virtanen and the first round pick for a useful center. I doubt Canucks will pay. This will be a factor by season end.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Canucks are not high scoring. They need to fix that. I wouldn't want to expend any goalies or defensemen, personally. I would augment either position, though.

My focus would be on very young goal scorers, like every team. Canucks do not have a playmaking center to set up a sniper on the wing, unless they keep Sedin(s). This is a fail. Goal scorers want a set-up man and top minutes. Canucks, therefore, IMO, need an elite center to push Horvat down to second line. Hahaha! Easy, right? Actually, Canucks might have enough wingers to mount a credible top six, they need a set-up man, though, to exploit it.

An easy fix for this season would be to move Daniel to another line, as a set-up man. He is an elite playmaker. Passing to someone not related might open up his game? Sadly, Daniel is too important to meddle with.

So, they will need to overpay for a new center. FA doesn't offer a guy like that, so they will have to trade away significant assets. Is it worth that? Should they wait for their prospects to become ready? They cannot wait if they want playoffs and Sedins at the same time. This was known all Summer. They didn't get a guy, unless they pictured Gagne as a top liner. Benning is possibly working on it but at what cost? Teams will want Tanev and Virtanen and the first round pick for a useful center. I doubt Canucks will pay. This will be a factor by season end.

Yes. Maybe not prospects plural, but more specifically the guy they spent the 5th overall pick on last year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I was looking at things from a long term approach, and also in terms long term solutions for Top 6 positions. Guys like D.Sedin and Vanek likely won't be around too much longer, while guys like Gaunce, Gagner, and Granlund will likely never be legit Top 6 guys. That leaves Baertschi (decent but not great 2nd line forward.), and Goldobin (jury is still out on this one).

That leaves Goldobin. Can he be a Top 6 LW'er one day? It's quite likely, but I think he's more likely to be a Sven Baertschi calibre guy as opposed to a good solid 1st line LW'er. That's why I think if a guy like Evander Kane is available come 2018 Summer, you take a serious look

I agree with you about RHD, but am not sure I agree with you about C. We have Horvat there, and Pettersson will likely be a long term Top 6 Center as well. I'm not sure if trading for or signing a youngish center for the long term will be worth it. If Pettersson is ready to jump in 1-3 years, then you might put yourself in a position where you're trying to move said center that has a big and long contract; it might become problematic.

Granted - having too much depth at center isn't a bad problem to have, but I'd rather have that money invested elsewhere (i.e. RHD). If you're looking a centers to play here if Henrik retires and Pettersson needs developing, sign bridge-gap veteran centers to short term deals (i.e. The Sam Gagner's of the world).

Agreed about Kane: It's likely that Benning has interest in E.Kane, and will take a run at him in FA.

I see it as 4 big contracts up front for the core forwards, now or the future. Horvat and Boeser will be 2 of them. Then likely Pettersson in the future. Which leaves the Eriksson deal in flux. Eriksson + Baertschi will not allow for E.Kane on a big deal long-term. Something will have to give. Either they deal Eriksson before Pettersson gets his first deal, or they don't bring in Kane.

To me, the 3 centre rotation is preferred because Pettersson seems like he can switch from W and C. This provides the roster with the flexibility to go 3 offensive centres deep or with 2 centres and a top loaded line-up. Obviously, money allocated to a 1LW is better spent than an expensive 3C, but I think that will come down to whether the team can get a key player at either position. In other words, it's more about the ability to get a 1LW or a 2C, than targeting for future need. The decision will be made for them.

I just think they have better odds at getting a 2C than a 1LW (I don't consider E.Kane a 1LW).

Last edited:
Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I absolutely would not be in on Evander Kane. John Tavares yes, but I don't see why he'd come here. Otherwise just keep the cap space.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ol' Neon Dion had a heck of a game last night against the Ducks.

Ottawa fans have expressed interest in moving some of their older players, and even though that is a toxic contract, if we were to move some cap dumps, I think Phaneuf could be a player that would make an impact on our roster without surrendering futures.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks should go all in on Tavares and Kane and encourage Sedins to retire. We are ready for a cup run with this top 6:

Kane-Pettersson-Tavares
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks should go all in on Tavares and Kane and encourage Sedins to retire. We are ready for a cup run with this top 6:

Kane-Pettersson-Tavares
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Tavares ain't coming here to play RW bra, lolllllllll.

I can't see Tavares signing here. Pretty sure he'll re-sign on the Isle, or will go to a current contender.

From recent reports, Erik Karlsson will also likely stay in Ottawa.

I say we go after Evander Kane this off-season. Kane is a proud Vancouverite and wants to be here, and age wise, a 7 year deal wouldn't cripple this franchise. Given Kane's age, Kane should be at or close to what he is for the next five seasons.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Eriksson + Baertschi will not allow for E.Kane on a big deal long-term. Something will have to give. Either they deal Eriksson before Pettersson gets his first deal, or they don't bring in Kane.

Just curious - how do you figure this to be true? Even if the twins stay here for one more year and sign for say 2.5-3 million each, thats about 8-9 million freed up in cap space. Let’s say 6.5x7 goes towards Kane. That’s about 1-2.5 million freed up cap space. If I’m doing my math right, our cap obligations to Hansen also ends and so that’s another 1.25 million or so in cap space (we retained 50% on Hansen didn’t we?). That should be enough to cover Baertschi’s new contract (that, plus any potential departures of Vanek, Gudbranson, etc.).

The cap is also rumored to be increasing next season.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just curious - how do you figure this to be true? Even if the twins stay here for one more year and sign for say 2.5-3 million each, thats about 8-9 million freed up in cap space. Let’s say 6.5x7 goes towards Kane. That’s about 1-2.5 million freed up cap space. If I’m doing my math right, our cap obligations to Hansen also ends and so that’s another 1.25 million or so in cap space (we retained 50% on Hansen didn’t we?). That should be enough to cover Baertschi’s new contract (that, plus any potential departures of Vanek, Gudbranson, etc.).

The cap is also rumored to be increasing next season.

What are you paying Pettersson? My statement isn't clear: I'm saying that if they get Kane, that's 4 big contracts (Horvat, Boeser, Eriksson and Kane). So they likely have to deal Eriksson eventually in order to re-up Pettersson. Have to get the money from somewhere right? It's long-term planning. Signing Kane means thinking about these things. If they don't feel like they can dump Eriksson at that point, it might be a good reason to avoid signing Kane right now.

This offseason, if Benning is still here, there will be opposition regarding Kane. Linden appears not to be an E.Kane fan. We know Benning has asked about him per rumour. Does Linden overrule him? It's a fine line to walk when you're a regime that has touted character, and then bring in a disaster show like Kane. It's a hypocritical turn. Then again, they did bring in "good character" Prust, so...?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What are you paying Pettersson? My statement isn't clear: I'm saying that if they get Kane, that's 4 big contracts (Horvat, Boeser, Eriksson and Kane). So they likely have to deal Eriksson eventually in order to re-up Pettersson.

By the time you need to re-up Pettersson, Eriksson will be in the 5th year of his contract if I understand correctly (Peterson is 18 right now - becomes RFA at 21. Eriksson is in his 2nd year right now....will be in his 5th year three years from now).

Eriksson will be quite easy to trade around this time. 31 of his 36 million will be paid out by the end of Year 4, and it will be around this time that teams looking to hit the cap floor will be interested in Eriksson. If there are no takers at the end of Year 4 for Eriksson, then he should have some interest in his last year before hitting UFA.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Granlund for Khaira+4th who says no?

Yes, this is partially for marketing purposes. But I also think he plays with a little more grit that this team had lost trading away Hansen, and he has more offensive pop than Gaunce.

Granlund is clearly the more offensive player, which the Oilers could use on their bottom 6.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Granlund for Khaira+4th who says no?

Yes, this is partially for marketing purposes. But I also think he plays with a little more grit that this team had lost trading away Hansen, and he has more offensive pop than Gaunce.

Granlund is clearly the more offensive player, which the Oilers could use on their bottom 6.

If Edmonton would like it, sure. Only thing I'd want to change is that pick for a 3rd or change it to a prospect swap favoring us a bit. Even involving minor pieces would pique my interest if it would work.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I wonder how we can get a teams 1st in this years draft.

Vanek + Gudbranson?
Benning doesn't do draft picks unless he can quickly flip them. I also question his interest in prospects if we're not too far out of a playoff spot.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I absolutely would not be in on Evander Kane. John Tavares yes, but I don't see why he'd come here. Otherwise just keep the cap space.

I agree. We may have pretty substantial cap benefit recapture from Luongo. When you project out next contracts we may have a cap crunch right as the team is ready to take the next step. Only Tavares can really move the needle on our competitiveness and we are pretty deep with young wingers. We still need to get a number of top end d to replace Edler and the veterans thay we have lost. In addition I am still wary of Kane's personality.

Tavares or bust.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I agree. We may have pretty substantial cap benefit recapture from Luongo. When you project out next contracts we may have a cap crunch right as the team is ready to take the next step. Only Tavares can really move the needle on our competitiveness and we are pretty deep with young wingers. We still need to get a number of top end d to replace Edler and the veterans thay we have lost. In addition I am still wary of Kane's personality.

Tavares or bust.
I agree also..We have a lot of young guns almost ready to make this team also.No need to waste money on a guy like Kane.Tavares will either sign in Ny or Toronto is going to throw a crap load at him......

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I agree also..We have a lot of young guns almost ready to make this team also.No need to waste money on a guy like Kane.Tavares will either sign in Ny or Toronto is going to throw a crap load at him......
If we sign Kane it would make passing on that Flame Dbag Tkachuk a lot easier to stomach

Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
By the time you need to re-up Pettersson, Eriksson will be in the 5th year of his contract if I understand correctly (Peterson is 18 right now - becomes RFA at 21. Eriksson is in his 2nd year right now....will be in his 5th year three years from now).

Eriksson will be quite easy to trade around this time. 31 of his 36 million will be paid out by the end of Year 4, and it will be around this time that teams looking to hit the cap floor will be interested in Eriksson. If there are no takers at the end of Year 4 for Eriksson, then he should have some interest in his last year before hitting UFA.

You think Eriksson will be easier to trade the older he is? No. That contract will be a cap dump. It's talked about as a cap dump, negative value deal right now. After 24 points in 65 games. You believe it will get better when he's older and is scoring less? Not a chance.

The worry about establishing even more long-term contracts at forward is that they cause a problem when trying to re-sign better players. The Eriksson contract will be an issue. The Baertschi contract could be an issue depending upon what they give him. The Kane contract could also be an issue if they have to re-sign somebody else. Boeser is tracking like he's going to get big dollars in 2 years. That will be 5 big deals at forward before any depth is re-signed. Very tight.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I don't want Kane. This isn't the time to be shopping around. Just stay the course for another season and we should be in a better position. This team is going through a transition the worst thing you can do is damage it with more shit contracts.

Agree with the above, Eriksson will become harder to trade the older he gets. I would be in favor of moving him with acquired picks ala Y2Ks previous proposal.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
We need help down the left-wing. Kane provides that. He also helps provide some actual grit to our roster.
He's going to get a monstrosity of a contract (especially with the salary cap rising by $3M-7M) and there are serious off-ice concerns. I would personally stay away.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
He's going to get a monstrosity of a contract (especially with the salary cap rising by $3M-7M) and there are serious off-ice concerns. I would personally stay away.
The off ice things are in the past..im sure he has grown up some otherwise we would be hearing stuff..he is doing pretty good i buffalo this season and they seem pretty happy with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad