Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks might have a chance at free agents if they do not re-up the Sedins. I'm only referencing cap space. If so, they might attract somebody useful but will they understand? It's iffy.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks might have a chance at free agents if they do not re-up the Sedins. I'm only referencing cap space. If so, they might attract somebody useful but will they understand? It's iffy.
Correct,thats a fair bit of dough coming off of the books....cap space is not going to be a problem if management plays their cards right..

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Correct,thats a fair bit of dough coming off of the books....cap space is not going to be a problem if management plays their cards right..
If Jimbo somehow sticks around I could see $7-8M used on RFA raises, $1-2M for Gudbranson raise/re-signing, and then $6-7M thrown at Rick Nash/Evander Kane.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If the Sedins do retire, it would make some sense to go after a #2C as it would be a lot of pressure on Pettersson to step right into that role, and I'm not convinced any of Granlund, Sutter, Burmistrov, Gagner or Gaunce can handle that role. We are pretty loaded on the wings, but not so much at C.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If the Sedins do retire, it would make some sense to go after a #2C as it would be a lot of pressure on Pettersson to step right into that role, and I'm not convinced any of Granlund, Sutter, Burmistrov, Gagner or Gaunce can handle that role. We are pretty loaded on the wings, but not so much at C.

Absolutely, and Pettersson should be ready for it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If Jimbo somehow sticks around I could see $7-8M used on RFA raises, $1-2M for Gudbranson raise/re-signing, and then $6-7M thrown at Rick Nash/Evander Kane.

I keep expecting people to grasp that star-level players rarely hit FA and rarely want to sign with bottom feeders, making FA no reasonable way to build a team, but still we hear this non-sense that "Freed capspace" will somehow lead us to glory.

No doubt people will be expecting us to sign Tavares because "free capspace." Most likely we will spend the money extending our mediocre RFA's an signing mid-tier free agents like Sam Gagner and Loui Eriksson.

Reactions: timw33 and Nuckles

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Absolutely, and Pettersson should be ready for it.

I'm not sure that he will be. I'd like to see him on NA ice for a year, in the AHL, before he is graduated.

A trade for a 2C may be a good idea.

I think this is why they are looking for a "versatile forward". Athanasiou's name has been bandied about. I threw out RNH's name a while ago. Galchenyuk would be interesting. Turris is also set to become FA this offseason...

There are options. The ideal would be to somehow convert Gudbranson and/or Sutter into that player. Ideally, anyway.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm not sure that he will be. I'd like to see him on NA ice for a year, in the AHL, before he is graduated.

I think this is why they are looking for a "versatile forward". Athanasiou's name has been bandied about. I threw out RNH's name a while ago. Galchenyuk would be interesting. Turris is also set to become FA this offseason...

There are options. The ideal would be to somehow convert Gudbranson and/or Sutter into that player. Ideally, anyway.
Sutter+Guddy 50% for RNH

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

A trade

Should happen this year. Plan for EP should be to come over in February or so, play in the ahl for a bit and then take it from there.

Of course Dahlen should be in the ahl right now so they probably Willl f*** this up too.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

I agree that it may be a bit much for Pettersson to step into an everyday 2C role. He could be protected with veteran wingers - Eriksson and Baertschi or Granlund. But Dahlen and Goldobin should be pressing for a roster spot by the end of this year (after Vanek is traded at the TDL) so it will be difficult to protect 3 rookies.

We should stay away from the RNH or Duchene sweepstakes - unless the asking price comes down quite a bit. RNH has 3 years remaining (after this season) at $6M and Duchene has just 1, but the asking price for Duchene still includes a 1st round pick and a top prospect.

Taveres, Turris and Stastny are UFA, but they won't be available. The 2nd tier C's include Galchenyuk, Bozak, Backlund, Grabovski, Filppula. If any of the 2nd tier guys would sign a 2 or 3 year deal (however unlikely) it would be worth pursuing them.

However if Granlund can mature into an everyday 2nd line C this season, it would make it a lot easier and we could save the cap space for other needs.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Someone or some.... players are going to be moved out. There are too many NHL forwards especially when Brendan gaunce is back.. boeser needs to be on this team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

"I'd like to see him on NA ice for a year, in the AHL, before he is graduated.'

I like many, but not many others, agree with this. Juolevi should start there as well. If they prove to be too good for the AHL as many blue chip players started that way do, by all means get their ***** up to Vancouver.

However, this is definitely not Benning's MO. Name a top notch, high draft pick that Benning has sent to Utica for a year. Don't say Jake, because he got here after a year in Vancouver when they realized they had made a mistake.

I think they just might regret not having started McCann on the farm as well. Nothing shrinks a conceited air faster than a ticket to the AHL in nowhere Utica, NY. That is surely enough stimuli to wake one's self to the reality that the bright lights and big city nights come with one's ability to work at a level that will produce the outcome that earns the promotion to that big league spotlight and you only stay there if it continues.

Jake woke up fast enough. The pin pricked his big head. I don't think that attitude of entitlement Henrik complained about in McCan would have ever been seen had he come to Utica first. Florida management had no trouble sending the kid to their farm. A lot of time in Springfield, Mass (another not so gorgeous place) seems to have turned the trick for him. He is playing quite well for the panthers so far this season.

Benning could take a lesson from that, but only time will tell and most don't want him to get that time fearing he will make similar mistakes again. Shiny new toys sell the tickets and those filled seats allow him to keep his job longer.

Brock should have started out in Utica and made it impossible with his play down there for the Canucks to keep him out of their lineup. If he is the Calder Trophy candidate so many now believe since a pundit published it, he would blow the AHL apart with his dynamic play and prolific scoring. Instead he is getting the Corrado treatment and being allowed to go stale as a result. He needs to play every day. A player of his projected potential is not press box filler. There are a ****load of Comets who can do that. Archi if Dimbo would sign him, Labate, Rodin, and others.

You don't break a top prospect in with sporadic starts punctuated by spells in the seats. Send him down and play him every game in all situations and see what you actually have. Let him make a statement loud and clear. He's 2 years older than Pettersson and a little less than a year older than Dahlen. Will they get the same treatment next season? Possibly, because they haven't had an opportunity to make a statement in the AHL that the whole NHL will hear as they did with Nylander when he was 19. Dahlen is already there and about to turn 20 in December and Elias turns 19 in November. Is Nylander a much better prospect than these 2 are? Better not be or the draft and trade for them wasn't as good as it should have been.

member 290103

we should get kane + tavares next season so we have a real chance at a cup.
Benning's not a fan of Tavares. It's a skater's league, don't you know? I suspect he is basing his entire off season on obtaining Kane. I don't think there is any question Kane will be a Canuck next year. Think 6 years, $7M per.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
wait
Benning's not a fan of Tavares. It's a skater's league, don't you know? I suspect he is basing his entire off season on obtaining Kane. I don't think there is any question Kane will be a Canuck next year. Think 6 years, $7M per.
are u saying tavares isnt fast enough? what?

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Tanev
Del Zotto

For

Sergachev
Sustr
Girardi

I feel like that would be a solid deal for Tampa but it'd probably get shredded on the main boards :laugh:. Hedman/Tanev/Stralman instantly makes them a top 5 D corps in the league. Del Zotto is also a solid #4/5 Dman who gives Tampa another puck mover. Huge improvement over the boat anchor that is Girardi. I understand that Sergachev could potentially be better than Tanev, but it's going to take a while for him to get there and Kucherov's contract is up in two years. I say go all in.

Also, does anyone know the details on Girardi's NTC (Yzerman why)? On Capfriendly all it says is that he has one, doesn't state when it kicks in or what the limitations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad