Rogers Place Construction Thread

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
there's a reason you have to drive 45 minutes to do shopping....

(urban sprawl, which benefits nobody except you cause you get to do your shopping at the majestic South Edmonton Common....where parking space is at a premium and roads go nowhere....but hey IKEA! a movie theatre! a Montana's! it's all so beautiful!)
The tens of thousands that use it daily would disagree with you.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
On this, he's bang-on.

This is a generic, nondescript high rise stuck on top of another, even more generic and nondescript high rise.

When you complain about almost every single faucet of the arena/downtown project, any valid points will get lost with all the white noise. If you don't pick and choose what you complain about, and decide to just decry everything, everyone just tends to ignore you.

It's the posters own fault.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The tens of thousands that use it daily would disagree with you.

Apparently a good citizen of Edmonton drives 45 minutes to the West and North end to do everything, cost be damned.

I'm glad to see companies are looking at Edmonton for building now. I just wanna see some developments I care about.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Whatever would we do without this beautiful vista:

img_6574.jpg

So it has to personally benefit you to be of any value to the city?

It's a Buick.

Beat me to it, thank you.

On a side note Q - thanks for proving my point with that response. ;)

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Exactly, it's got everything one would need in one shopping trip and is no more than 10 minutes away from most south Edmontonians who have been ignored all these years and finally have some development for them.

Glad you understand. :)

How many malls do you people need?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what is a good building suppose to look like? Not that I really care because the insides of these buildings is what really matters to me. I've worked in offices that look like crap, but if they have a nice office with nice facilities I'll take that over and office that spent all the money on the outside and had nothing left for the inside.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
South Edmonton Common is fantastic. Best thing done in this city in years. It's nice, not having to drive 45-60 minutes to do my shopping.

With that type of mentality, I fear Edmonton's lifestyle will pass you by and be overwhelming.

May I suggest Ponoka?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently a good citizen of Edmonton drives 45 minutes to the West and North end to do everything, cost be damned.

I'm glad to see companies are looking at Edmonton for building now. I just wanna see some developments I care about.
Ya I can't figure that one out. South Common has access from two major roadways. One that comes directly from Calgary and one that allows people from East or West of Edmonton to access quite easily. Not only is it surrounded by local developments, but it gets outsiders money as well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
:shakeheadSo it's not all funky like the guggenheim museum, so what. It's function is supposed to be somewhat utilitarian hence the design. The bottom line is it represents jobs and money for the region. Perhaps some of you should put your agendas aside and see this for what it is.

Because giving credit to Stantec (one of the few such comments I've seen in the thread) is me pursuing an unbalanced agenda..

C'mon

I don't like the Design at all AND I gave credit for them building a headoffice here thereby respecting exactly the big picture you state.

At the end of the day I'm thankful that they stayed in town as I should be. Again credit to that where other local firm companies have failed to demonstrate such loyalty.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
There's nothing wrong with South Common other than the roads not being straight. One stop shopping for all your needs.

Well that and the millions upon millions of dollars it costs taxpayers like the $75 Million to re-do the 23rd Ave interchange and the cost of providing and maintaining infrastructure, providing transit. Just so people can drive to a glorified mega mall?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
With that type of mentality, I fear Edmonton's lifestyle will pass you by and be overwhelming.

May I suggest Ponoka?

As do I.

Edmonton was always nice because it embraced its small city status.

I'm just not a giant city person, and Edmonton just so desperately seems to want it. I dunno. We'll see.

Red Deer sounds nice.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

If you're concerned about "looking out for Edmonton", then you should care about ALL developments...not just the ones in your backyard. :shakehead

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So basically a mall where the stores are too far apart to walk back and forth between. Yeah, lovely setup.

If you are lazy then yes, but for the most part you should be able to park in a few spots and hit everything you need. Yet to see a Mall where I can hit Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, Pro hockey life, Wholesale sports, Marshalls, London Drugs and then about 30 outlet stores all with 3 park jobs.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ya I can't figure that one out. South Common has access from two major roadways. One that comes directly from Calgary and one that allows people from East or West of Edmonton to access quite easily. Not only is it surrounded by local developments, but it gets outsiders money as well.

the problem with South Edmonton Common is it's an eye-sore...that's right there for all of our out-of-town visitors to see...and a product of urban sprawl

its a conglomerate of big-chain box stores on a poorly laid out piece of land...for all to see...

there's nothing more infuriating than finding a parking space (which is impossible) going into a store than getting back into your car and trying to navigate your way through the maze of streets in that area

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well that and the millions upon millions of dollars it costs taxpayers like the $75 Million to re-do the 23rd Ave interchange and the cost of providing and maintaining infrastructure, providing transit. Just so people can drive to a glorified mega mall?

Really no different than maintaining anything else in this City. How much has been spent upgrading the Whitemud so I could get to all those close malls that I have from SE Edmonton?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
As do I.

Edmonton was always nice because it embraced its small city status.

I'm just not a giant city person, and Edmonton just so desperately seems to want it. I dunno. We'll see.

Red Deer sounds nice.

With a population of over 1.2 million (*including metropolitan area), are you serious?? Edmonton hasn't been a "small city" for at least a couple of decades now. This is what was meant when we said that your "small town" type of mentality has held this city back...FOR YEARS.

On one hand you complain the South LRT expansion took too long for fruitition, but fail to realize that it was people with your "small town" type of attitude that prevented it from happening 20-30 years ago.

Jeebus, the lack of seeing the simple truth is headache inducing. :banghead:

Do you even know what constitutes the definition of a "small city"? Do you realize that Edmonton passed by that definition around the early 1950's (I'm going by the 250,000 marker - set by Edmonton in 1958)?

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/facts_figures/population-history.aspx

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the problem with South Edmonton Common is it's an eye-sore...that's right there for all of our out-of-town visitors to see...and a product of urban sprawl

its a conglomerate of big-chain box stores on a poorly laid out piece of land...for all to see...

there's nothing more infuriating than finding a parking space (which is impossible) going into a store than getting back into your car and trying to navigate your way through the maze of streets in that area

I honestly don't know where you go, are you looking for up front parking? I'm in South Common a couple times a week and don't seem to have any issue with Parking.

The maze yes is stupid, but the funny thing is can all the other commons that are popping up are just as stupid. What's happening in Windermere area? Same stupid road designs as South Common.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If you are lazy then yes, but for the most part you should be able to park in a few spots and hit everything you need. Yet to see a Mall where I can hit Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, Pro hockey life, Wholesale sports, Marshalls, London Drugs and then about 30 outlet stores all with 3 park jobs.

There is not a single soul who goes to South Common that isn't driving location to location, so I guess 99 percent of people who use it are lazy.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I honestly don't know where you go, are you looking for up front parking? I'm in South Common a couple times a week and don't seem to have any issue with Parking.

The maze yes is stupid, but the funny thing is can all the other commons that are popping up are just as stupid. What's happening in Windermere area? Same stupid road designs as South Common.

not really, there a main road (just off Windermere Blvd. that goes along the movie theatre) that connects all the stores together...the movie theatre (and other stores) on one side of the road and more stores on the other

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
South Common is a bit of a disaster. Nothing wrong with the big box stores in the power-center, but where it failed is bringing together the smaller retail stores (i.e. nike, Guess, GAP, etc.) all in close vinicity.

What it should have been is an outdoor outlet mall of the premium outlets variety.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/

A walkable experience.

Instead, going from point A to point B requires going in and out of your automotive, wrestling for parking, and repeating. A frustrating experience that benefits no one.

The other alternative would have been an enclosed outlet mall a la Cross Iron Mills in Calgary.

A missed opportunity by developers, the lack of involvement by the City which accelerated ancillary costs surrounding the development, has soured whatever benefits that were purported at the design stage. A vision failed. An absolute abomination of a project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad