Rogers Place Construction Thread

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Make sense since, as we know, all artistic renderings translate 100% into reality. I'm sure seeing 200 meters of building going up will lead to a universal reaction of, "meh".

That more than likely will be the reaction, considering it's ugly as sin.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That more than likely will be the reaction, considering it's ugly as sin.

The deadpan quiet reaction to the unveiling after a few polite claps pretty much said it all and with this being a select group of movers and shakers and Stantec employees not even hooting and hollering.

If this is one of 16 designs that was selected I wonder what the others looked like.

Not ugly as sin but it is underwhelming.

meh is about the exact reaction

meh, blocks out the sun will likely be the build reaction.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
I dont know, I seem to recall the outcry when the art museum was being designed and the renderings made it look brutal with all that curvey metal and shininess.

The real building, while still the same design, looked better than the renders. But maybe it just grew onto me after a while.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
These are the first drawings revealed to the public. I hope, just like the original 'toilet bowl' looking arena renderings it will be changed into something that looks a lot nicer.

I will reserve my judgment until the final renderings are revealed. Until then.. I'm slightly disappointed in the design and I was super excited about this project. Hopefully they round the corners or something. :laugh:

Let's see what Enbridge does as well. Lots of rumours surrounding a new tower with Enbridge as the anchor tenant.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Hi res pics up, lots of detail. http://www.rogersplace.com/quick-facts/

TOP TEN STANTEC TOWER QUICK FACTS
Aug 26, 2014

Located in the Edmonton Arena District (EAD), the city’s future hub and heart.
Once developed, will be the tallest building in Edmonton and one of the tallest structures in Western Canada.
Designed to be a sustainable and energy efficient building, with a target to be LEED Gold Certified.
Construction to commence in Fall 2014 and tower to open in Summer 2018.
Features 62 storeys with 26 floors of office space and 320 residential suites.
Top of tower to feature an iconic design element, representing the personality of EAD.
More than 600,000 square feet of office space with floor plates of 22,500 square feet.
Tower and office lobby to open directly into the vibrant public plaza.
Underground parking is available.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Well would you look at that, it looks like this rendering kicked everyone's inferiority complex into overdrive.

This entire project is a result of this city's inferiority complex.

This city has always aspired to be something it will never be.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Honestly, as someone who works in them, I generally feel meh about how towers look. It will be interesting to see how all the buildings work in context (don't really want a bunch of one off looks in that area). However, I know my bigger interest will be how it looks when it is dark, since I look in that direction from my condo.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly, as someone who works in them, I generally feel meh about how towers look. It will be interesting to see how all the buildings work in context (don't really want a bunch of one off looks in that area). However, I know my bigger interest will be how it looks when it is dark, since I look in that direction from my condo.

And that you will be walking to games in the middle of winter when the sun is setting.

DJ EarWax

Apr 3, 2011
HFOil, trashing the city and complaining about everything as usual. Some things never change.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Which begs the question what is worth than an ugly plain tower?

An ugly plain tower that will be seen from any future vantage point.

That this one even looks like a Frankenstein build makes matters worse.

It really does just look like one building on top of another. Hopefully the reality with lights etc will make if more appealing.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
15023032636_f960da5398_b.jpg

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I do wish to give Stantec credit for building their headoffice here and retaining that here. Its something where others have been found wanting.

Its positive that Stantec is doing this and that they are retaining that workforce here. Hopefully they can spruce up this build a little and I'm sure reaction is being monitored to some degree.

If all they hear is wow that's great theres no real reason to do more. Even Iveson was ribbing about the height not being a done deal yet.

A wish for more, and better, is not being negative in this regard. Its being optimistic and wanting better. Which Edmontonians should arguably want.

Last edited:

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Says the guy who didn't think the Arena would spurn any growth downtown and is constantly crapping on the whole project :laugh:

tell me, what do you think the city of Edmonton should've done to become more attractive?

Nothing because it's already an attractive city.

I don't get the constant whining about what Vancouver and Toronto and New York have. We're not any of those cities and never will be.

And sure, while a bunch of companies are planning buildings, I have yet to see anything that will benefit the citizens of this city. I see a couple office buildings that will be filled by relocated staff.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

I don't get the constant whining about what Vancouver and Toronto and New York have. We're not any of those cities and never will be.

And sure, while a bunch of companies are planning buildings, I have yet to see anything that will benefit the citizens of this city.

I can't stand the look of the thing, but it's just the kind of development Edmonton needs. More mixed use development to densify downtown, fewer sprawling subdivisions (unfortunately, it seems like the city is still crapping the bed on the second part there).

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

And sure, while a bunch of companies are planning buildings, I have yet to see anything that will benefit the citizens of this city. I see a couple office buildings that will be filled by relocated staff.

Annnnd this is why you were plunked into the less visionary group keeping the city behind by 20 years. We've established that already...m'Kay?

If you can't see how business like this benefits Edmontonians as a whole, then don't bother in even trying.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
I prefer smaller boundaries and centralized population over extremely large boundaries and sparse density. From a city planning perspective, so much money gets tied up in infrastructure maintenance that it cant be spent anywhere else for stuff "that benefits the citizen" because it costs so damn much to maintain infrastructure that reaches so far out, but doesn't have the proper density to support it.

I also hate having to drive 1.5hours to reach anywhere like Toronto does.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
With the attitude in this thread, south Edmonton common and the surrounding area wouldn't exist and many people would either be living in ****holes on the west and north end or not living here at all.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
With the attitude in this thread, south Edmonton common and the surrounding area wouldn't exist and many people would either be living in ****holes on the west and north end or not living here at all.

I'm still waiting for them to build a wall protecting me from those north siders. The river isn't nearly an effective enough moat since they build those damn bridges!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad