Rogers Place Construction Thread

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
not really, there a main road (just off Windermere Blvd. that goes along the movie theatre) that connects all the stores together...the movie theatre (and other stores) on one side of the road and more stores on the other

Have you seen where the Superstore is?

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
The only complaint I have is the wonky road design.

It's perfect in every other way.

Screw driving 45 minutes to WEM when I can drive 5 to SEC.

How does it take you 45 minutes to WEM, especially with the Henday option available?

Not to mention the considerable downgrade in shopping experience.

You must be a proponent of the fruit-of-the-loom t-shirts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
South Common is a bit of a disaster. Nothing wrong with the big box stores in the power-center, but where it failed is bringing together the smaller retail stores (i.e. nike, Guess, GAP, etc.) all in close vinicity.

What it should have been is an outdoor outlet mall of the premium outlets variety.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/

link should come with a warning.. warning, disturbing picture of anorexic models with one looking so unhealthy she's clinging to another so she doesn't collapse.

Please spend money so these waifs have something to eat.

Simons? yikes. an interior football field of pretentious claptrap filled with people insecure enough to spend countless thousands on throwaway wardrobe. next

Damn I'm opinionated. ;)

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
link should come with a warning.. warning, disturbing picture of anorexic models with one looking so unhealthy she's clinging to another so she doesn't collapse.

Please spend money so these waifs have something to eat.

Simons? yikes. a interior football field of pretentious claptrap filled with people insecure enough to spend countless thousands on throwaway wardrobe.

Damn I'm opinionated. ;)

Dying of laughter. Well done. :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How does it take you 45 minutes to WEM, especially with the Henday option available?

Not to mention the considerable downgrade in shopping experience.

You must be a proponent of the fruit-of-the-loom t-shirts.

WEM can go **** itself. Why they have to keep moving stores around on me:cry:

WEM is about 30 for me. Don't really like it that much. Has a good selection, but it doesn't have the outlet deals. In the summer it's a no go either as it's a tourist attraction.

With that being said, really impressed with the new Sport Chek.

On the down side, a big thumbs down to the numerous people that try stop you to talk about some stupid product.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Regarding the Stantec tower: These images are called an artist’s conception for a reason. They're used primarily to “sell†the exterior finishes and aesthetics to the owner and to the city.

As these are made early in the design process, much can change by the time the final drawings are drafted and the structure is completed. Also, there is usually a great deal of license taken by the artist, omitting ugly stuff like power lines and power poles and unsightly neighbouring buildings etc. They also usually like to add muscle cars and sexy models…

Consider these as an idyllic representation of the architect’s vision (that in itself can be scary)!!!

*Thanks to a friend of mine who is a big-wig in the local construction industry for providing me with this information.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Regarding the Stantec tower: These images are called an artist’s conception for a reason. They're used primarily to “sell†the exterior finishes and aesthetics to the owner and to the city.

As these are made early in the design process, much can change by the time the final drawings are drafted and the structure is completed. Also, there is usually a great deal of license taken by the artist, omitting ugly stuff like power lines and power poles and unsightly neighbouring buildings etc. They also usually like to add muscle cars and sexy models…

Consider these as an idyllic representation of the architect’s vision (that in itself can be scary)!!!

*Thanks to a friend of mine who is a big-wig in the local construction industry for providing me with this information.

Thanks for that.

Hopefully it looks nicer in the final stages.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I never thought I'd see the day where an office (and resi) building in Edmonton rivalled those in Calgary and the rest of Western Canada.

Absolutely amazing. Was not expecting Stantec to drop a megaton like that. Was expecting 45ish stories and maybe 600 feet. So ****ing excited.

The arena itself is great but I was and still am more excited for the drastic change Edmonton's skyline is going to undergo over the next 5 years. No office towers for 20 years, now 4 in the last 5 years. And if 102st goes ahead... holy **** this city is on a roll. Love it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
As do I.

Edmonton was always nice because it embraced its small city status.

I'm just not a giant city person, and Edmonton just so desperately seems to want it. I dunno. We'll see.

Red Deer sounds nice.

This is the type of thinking that almost killed this city in the 80's.

It's about time Edmonton stopped thinking small and doing small. Finally joining the go big or go home mentality our successful sisters to the south have adopted. And thank god. Edmonton is not some small backwater... maybe Red Deer is an option. :)

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The design is certainly not what it could have been, but the rendering also makes it look pretty 2nd rate. I'm guessing the facade will have a lot of glass, and it will make the entire building look far more sleek than it appears in these sketches.

What everyone seems to be missing, is that they've absolutely nailed the plaza! The shape is perfect for making it cozy, but not claustrophobic. I only hope that there is street level dining and retail facing the plaza in the Stantec Tower. I used to go to games before puck drop, and leave after the Oilers lost. Now, I'll be taking the LRT from the Southside, and getting there early for dinner, catch the game (with wins hopefully being a bit more likely), and then stick around for a drink before a quick train home. And I'm confident that there will be thousands joining me in that plaza before and after the games - even when it dips below 20 degrees.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
The only complaint I have is the wonky road design.

It's perfect in every other way.

Screw driving 45 minutes to WEM when I can drive 5 to SEC.

Fortunately, not everyone lives in Millwoods. I won't even go in to detail about the abysmal shopping selection at South Common. (I actually don't think I've ever really gone there outside of the Cineplex and being pigeon-held into going to the Bell location there) West Edmonton Mall and in some aspects even Southgate are much better shopping locations.

Also, University area master-race checking in.

Smart Dunsparce*

South Edmonton Common is fantastic. Best thing done in this city in years. It's nice, not having to drive 45-60 minutes to do my shopping.

How does south edmonton common benefit me living here in the northside?

Smart Dunsparce*

No more of an eyesore than the entire north end.

The area around west edmonton mall is pretty cringe worthy too.

You're so ignorant and childish. "Ooo ya? you calling my hood an eyesore? Northside and west side is the ass hole of edmonton ", herp derp. There's many beautiful northside neighborhoods, same as the west.

Smart Dunsparce*

Who cares about you? It's all about Q!

It's absolutely ridiculous. The Stantec tower by any means, shape or form doesn't affect almost all of us posting in this thread. But what I appreciate about this tower going up is that this city is finally living up to its potential and having the mentality that nothing is too grande for this great city.

I read on twitter that 1700 Stantec employees are to be staying at the HQ, so that's 1700 people putting money into our economy. That's good news for everyone collectively in my books and in Q's case especially... that's 1700 people's money helping with shovelling and road repairs. So yes Q it does benefit you in some way, no matter how minuscule.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Maybe the haters should spend a zillion dollars to build their own office tower. I'm not even joking. Iconic designs cost money. It's easy to criticize when it's not you taking the risk.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
The Bow is classic and has set the more recent precedent that other towers should aspire to.

Could you imagine as well how a design like that would frame the arena.

If the Bow was designed for Edmonton everybody would be saying YES!!!

if this Stantec tower was being projected for Calgary everybody would be going next...

That's the honest view.
That's your typical devils advocate view no matter what good happens to the city ,whether its a new arena or corner store. You were one of the biggest opponents of the arena every week that passes shows how wrong you were. And the bow is ugly imo. Yea triangles only one for sure saying yes would be Gene Dub for the Bow here. Came to look at this thread expecting excitement over a new tallest but instead read dribble like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad