Rogers Place Construction Thread

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Annnnd this is why you were plunked into the less visionary group keeping the city behind by 20 years. We've established that already...m'Kay?

If you can't see how business like this benefits Edmontonians as a whole, then don't bother in even trying.

A couple of office buildings full of staff brought in from other offices.

Such a benefit to me.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The Bow is classic and has set the more recent precedent that other towers should aspire to.

Could you imagine as well how a design like that would frame the arena.

If the Bow was designed for Edmonton everybody would be saying YES!!!

if this Stantec tower was being projected for Calgary everybody would be going next...

That's the honest view.

The Bow doesn't accentuate the Calgary skyline, it dominates it. I wouldn't call it classic either. It's not a pretty building, it looks like the Death Star. It's a lot nicer closer up but when seen from further away it looks like somewhat of a seperate entity from downtown Calgary. Part of that is where it's located downtown but personally I wouldn't want it in the Edmonton skyline.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I do wish to give Stantec credit for building their headoffice here and retaining that here. Its something where others have been found wanting.

Its positive that Stantec is doing this and that they are retaining that workforce here. Hopefully they can spruce up this build a little and I'm sure reaction is being monitored to some degree.

If all they here is wow that's great theres no real reason to do more. Even Iveson was ribbing about the height not being a done deal yet.

A wish for more, and better, is not being negative in this regard. Its being optimistic and wanting better. Which Edmontonians should arguably want.
:shakeheadSo it's not all funky like the guggenheim museum, so what. It's function is supposed to be somewhat utilitarian hence the design. The bottom line is it represents jobs and money for the region. Perhaps some of you should put your agendas aside and see this for what it is.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
:shakeheadSo it's not all funky like the guggenheim museum, so what. It's function is supposed to be somewhat utilitarian hence the design. The bottom line is it represents jobs and money for the region. Perhaps some of you should put your agendas aside and see this for what it is.

I certainly appreciate going for LEED Gold certification.

oilz89*

Nothing because it's already an attractive city.

I don't get the constant whining about what Vancouver and Toronto and New York have. We're not any of those cities and never will be.

And sure, while a bunch of companies are planning buildings, I have yet to see anything that will benefit the citizens of this city. I see a couple office buildings that will be filled by relocated staff.

LOL Edmonton is not an attractive city :help: The only reason i like the city is because i love the two hockey teams

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
With the attitude in this thread, south Edmonton common and the surrounding area wouldn't exist and many people would either be living in ****holes on the west and north end or not living here at all.

Whatever would we do without this beautiful vista:

img_6574.jpg

A couple of office buildings full of staff brought in from other offices.

Such a benefit to me.

So it has to personally benefit you to be of any value to the city?

So this building isn't even nice? I mean it's not a Ferrari but at least we're getting a Benz.

It's a Buick.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Nothing because it's already an attractive city.
so "good enough" in your opinion? again, that's the problem that set us back 20 years
maybe it's just me but seeing an eyesores like the Baccarat and Staples downtown isn't attractive....nor is having an outdated and tiny LRT system that only benefits residents of south and east Edmonton "attractive" and of course, our roads and freeways are an embarrassment for a city this size that took years and to finally get resolved

I don't get the constant whining about what Vancouver and Toronto and New York have. We're not any of those cities and never will be.

who's saying we want to to be like NYC and Vancouver? we just want a modern city

And sure, while a bunch of companies are planning buildings, I have yet to see anything that will benefit the citizens of this city. I see a couple office buildings that will be filled by relocated staff.

define "benefiting the citizens"...
cause what I see is tons of economic growth in the downtown core that will greatly benefit our city

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
It's a Buick.

In a parking lot full of Pintos?

Sorry, this analogy is a mess, but it's clearly an upgrade on what we have and there's no restrictions on what they may do in the future. I'm excited by this announcement, but I don't see an issue with baby steps.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
LOL Edmonton is not an attractive city :help: The only reason i like the city is because i love the two hockey teams
Yes the suburban sprawl of cowtown is so much more appealing. Unfortunately we can't build a mountain backdrop or an ocean so deal with it. I live near downtown (gold bar) and I love it here. Most people don't take advantage of what we do have, and have never been into the river valley. I lived in Toronto and Calgary, and I'll take Edmonton every time.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
South Edmonton didn't have an LRT station until ****ing 2010 when Southgate LRT opened. We've only had close access to the LRT for a few years.

You're kidding, right? Expanding the LRT south was the best thing Edmonton transit has done.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
In a parking lot full of Pintos?

Sorry, this analogy is a mess, but it's clearly an upgrade on what we have and there's no restrictions on what they may do in the future. I'm excited by this announcement, but I don't see an issue with baby steps.

To be clear: the only issue is with the design. It's a pedestrian build in a city that is already known for architectural mediocrity. We can and should do better.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
South Edmonton didn't have an LRT station until ****ing 2010 when Southgate LRT opened. We've only had close access to the LRT for a few years.

You're kidding, right? Expanding the LRT south was the best thing Edmonton transit has done.

South Edmonton Common is a dump and the new developments sprouting up around there like mushrooms after a rainstorm are just more examples of the kind of wasteful sprawl to which developments like this Stantec tower are necessary counters.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
To be clear: the only issue is with the design. It's a pedestrian build in a city that is already known for architectural mediocrity. We can and should do better.
Really? We have the Louvre inspired city hall and the weird shaped rink right next door. Is it a geometry competition we are going for. Every city is predominately square boxes, they are easy to build and fit onto their square lots.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

What a novel idea eh? actually expand mass transit....that's like what real cities do!

good thing it took them 25 years to figure it out..

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
South Edmonton Common is a dump and the new developments sprouting up around there like mushrooms after a rainstorm are just more examples of the kind of wasteful sprawl to which developments like this Stantec tower are necessary counters.

South Edmonton Common is fantastic. Best thing done in this city in years. It's nice, not having to drive 45-60 minutes to do my shopping.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Really? We have the Louvre inspired city hall and the weird shaped rink right next door. Is it a geometry competition we are going for. Every city is predominately square boxes, they are easy to build and fit onto their square lots.

I didn't say anything about something having to be weird shaped to be good architecture. The TD Centre in Toronto is one of my favourite set of buildings.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
South Edmonton Common is fantastic. Best thing done in this city in years. It's nice, not having to drive 45-60 minutes to do my shopping.

there's a reason you have to drive 45 minutes to do shopping....

(urban sprawl, which benefits nobody except you cause you get to do your shopping at the majestic South Edmonton Common....where parking space is at a premium and roads go nowhere....but hey IKEA! a movie theatre! a Montana's! it's all so beautiful!)

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
It's like saying

"I don't use rec centres, I don't use libraries, I don't use roads, why is the city building more wasteful stuff that don't benefit the city!! Need more tax cuts because my taxes is being spent on stupid stuff that nobody can use".

Short-sighted conservatives I like to call them.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

This. I'm very happy that it's going up and that all this is unfolding nicely, but it seems to me to be a lost opportunity to design something iconic. This is pleasant and non-offensive enough, I suppose, but it really only rises to the level of plain. Hopefully it turns out to be much more striking in real life.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
there's a reason you have to drive 45 minutes to do shopping....

(urban sprawl, which benefits nobody except you cause you get to do your shopping at the majestic South Edmonton Common....where parking space is at a premium and roads go nowhere....but hey IKEA! a movie theatre! a Montana's! it's all so beautiful!)

Exactly, it's got everything one would need in one shopping trip and is no more than 10 minutes away from most south Edmontonians who have been ignored all these years and finally have some development for them.

Glad you understand. :)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly, it's got everything one would need in one shopping trip and is no more than 10 minutes away from most south Edmontonians who have been ignored all these years and finally have some development for them.

Glad you understand. :)

There's nothing wrong with South Common other than the roads not being straight. One stop shopping for all your needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad