Rogers Place Construction Thread

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Who cares about you? It's all about Q!

Exactly!

I'm Q, the whole universe revolves around me!

tumblr_lhkd7dog221qawkt5o1_400.gif

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's your typical devils advocate view no matter what good happens to the city ,whether its a new arena or corner store. You were one of the biggest opponents of the arena every week that passes shows how wrong you were. And the bow is ugly imo. Yea triangles only one for sure saying yes would be Gene Dub for the Bow here. Came to look at this thread expecting excitement over a new tallest but instead read dribble like this.

"The Bow is ugly" Get real lol. Its OK to be objective. I've always liked the Bow since the first renderings. Its a remarkable and interesting design.

What do you like about the Stantec tower because its been heavily panned by most posters right in this thread. If you have something different to state that actually adds some content then state it.

I gave my critique like others did. its a very strange design that looks like two different towers one on top of the other and with a rather unimpressive base or crown.

One doesn't even get the bold effect of clean lines which is often had with taller towers. The design as is removes that even as an appealing element.

Really lets be honest here. If somebody like me posted this design here yesterday and said this was the design I'd be ridiculed and punted from the thread for trolling in seconds.

Its a disappointing design.

If you like this you weren't expecting much.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
"The Bow is ugly" Get real lol. Its OK to be objective. I've always liked the Bow since the first renderings. Its a remarkable and interesting design.

What do you like about the Stantec tower because its been heavily panned by most posters right in this thread. If you have something different to state that actually adds some content then state it.

I gave my critique like others did. its a very strange design that looks like two different towers one on top of the other and with a rather unimpressive base or crown.

One doesn't even get the bold effect of clean lines which is often had with taller towers. The design as is removes that even as an appealing element.

Really lets be honest here. If somebody like me posted this design here yesterday and said this was the design I'd be ridiculed and punted from the thread for trolling in seconds.

`A lot of people think it is. go read comments on skyscraper while it was being built. I like the office portion of the tower these are quick renderings, I am not excited about the condo portion but what you see will be a lot different from the finished product . Its been one month since this was announced. This tower will be higher than both brookfield and Bow when completed book it. I suggest you look at original drawings of the pearl compared to the finished product. And the bow looks like crap compared to about 8 towers in Toronto and about 30 in Chicago and about 1000 around the world. And up close the Bow is meh Imo. there are nicer towers in Calgary like bankers hall. And Manulife is still one of the nicest towers in Canada regardless of its 146 m height. And I like this tower better than anything Calgary has ever built. Puts the Bow to shame in design.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
`A lot of people think it is. go read comments on skyscraper while it was being built. I like the office portion of the tower these are quick renderings, I am not excited about the condo portion but what you see will be a lot different from the finished product . Its been one month since this was announced. This tower will be higher than both brookfield and Bow when completed book it. I suggest you look at original drawings of the pearl compared to the finished product. And the bow looks like crap compared to about 8 towers in Toronto and about 30 in Chicago and about 1000 around the world. And up close the Bow is meh Imo. there are nicer towers in Calgary like bankers hall.

Must be in the eye of the beholder. Bankers Hall is unremarkable to me. Never moved me.

Specifically went to Calgary several times just to see the awe inspiring Bow being constructed. I haven't met a tower in Canada I like more.

Obviously just a laymans view. I'm sure theres design elements in arcnitecture that I just wouldn't get.

But I don't think its a bad thing either that the Bow really speaks to people immediately at first glance and with the usual response being its awesome. You can go to Calgary any day of the week in the summer and see tourists gawking up for a long time marvelling at the bow. I don't see that public buzz with any other Calgary tower. Lets not forget that the blue evokes the Bow river. Its a masterwork that really communicates and interacts with the city. Most towers, say 90% of them are just there in the landscape. for something to truly stand out in a bold way takes vision and daring and I applaud it.

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005

To be fair - if I recall while Stantec said they wanted something nice, they weren't looking for iconic.

I'd say we got just that. It's a decent looking building, but aside from the height it doesn't make you go "wow!!".

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

its a very strange design that looks like two different towers one on top of the other and with a rather unimpressive base or crown.

The Bow is impressive on its own, but it looks awful as part of the skyline.

Whatever issues you have with the Stantec design, the base is great. It's a fantastic frame to the plaza, and has a community character to it. From street level, it will have an amazing feel - and in a lot of ways, should be viewed as separate from the tower, as it quite literally will be viewed separately in most cases.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Beauty of Manulife once again doing Edmontons skyline a favor by blocking off that one half of what were they thinking Stantec Tower.

Completely agree with your sentiment here. The Bow in Calgary blows the Stantec design out of the water.
See what I did there. :D
The bottom half of the Stantec tower is seriously ugly. Surely that's not the best the design team could come up with. :shakehead

Edmontons skyline deserves much better than that design as its signature tower.

BTW...it must be years since I have agreed with anything you have posted.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I find parametricist designs, the designs all the rage in Asia, to be not the end all and be all. The Bow is largely parametricist, drawing from Foster's portfolio and palette. It's a cool design but also an okay design.

The building being built in Edmonton is not parametricist. It is a bit of a colder design, what with the commercial and residential clearly separated by an angular offset that allows the tower to narrow. The design is more a standard but stark reminder of the post-modernist functions can exist with cold lines. The flash is prim and starchy, and what will count most is the actual care in the materials and the construction of the building. It's primness, I think, will have the appreciation muted at start but grown on it as it will continue to surround itself with other towers. And those other towers will have the opportunity for much more whimsy if the market calls for it.

I'm still trying to form an opinion on the podium right now but I do like the rooftop features of the podium. I will need to see more of the street level of the building to form my opinion.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Completely agree with your sentiment here. The Bow in Calgary blows the Stantec design out of the water. The bottom half of the Stantec tower is seriously ugly. Surely that's not the best the design team could come up with. :shakehead

There was a time when you and Replacement were like two peas in a pod, two brothers from different mothers, etc etc. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Completely agree with your sentiment here. The Bow in Calgary blows the Stantec design out of the water. The bottom half of the building is seriously ugly. surely that's not the best the design team could come up with. :shakehead

heh, I had to check twice..

As I've stated though fortunately the Manulife building will block off the dreadful lower portion of the stantec tower from view from the south. North residents having no similar benefit..:D

Really the design as is would almost be acceptable if it was just the top portion throughout which at least has some clean lines that befit a taller tower imho.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There was a time when you and Replacement were like two peas in a pod, two brothers from different mothers, etc etc. :laugh:

:laugh:

Everything changed the day RR was traded. (Didnt even want to mention his full name for fear of having this thread derailed). ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I know you keep nurturing this like a momma..:laugh:

it'll happen soon enough. We just need different topics..:laugh:

I just remember it was hell trying to argue with both you and guymez at the same time in some threads.

Those were the days... :p: :D

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Anybody thinking that Stantec won't tweak the design before they get to grade and start construction on the actual office and residential portion of the tower is a little bit naive. They'll make the office and resi portions blend more seamlessly but it wouldn't have hurt to have them not handle the design portion of the tower themselves.

And comparing Stantec's HQ to the Bow is seriously ridiculous. That building has been recognized globally... design wise, it is a gem. Telus Sky, going up in Calgary is also gorgeous. Their new tallest, Brookfield Place in comparison, is nothing special.

Regardless, 3rd tallest outside of Toronto, it will be an iconic and great looking building. The design is a 6/10 at worst. Nothing spectacular but not horribad like some of the hyperbole in this thread suggests.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To be fair - if I recall while Stantec said they wanted something nice, they weren't looking for iconic.

I'd say we got just that. It's a decent looking building, but aside from the height it doesn't make you go "wow!!".

ftr I've given credit for them keeping a huge head office here, for the height and sq footage which takes commitment and on a scale they didn't have to do.

So that credit is there and a standup company keeping its feet squarely placed in Edmonton. Kudos to that. But not on the design.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
heh, I had to check twice..

As I've stated though fortunately the Manulife building will block off the dreadful lower portion of the stantec tower from view from the south. North residents having no similar benefit..:D

Really the design as is would almost be acceptable if it was just the top portion throughout which at least has some clean lines that befit a taller tower imho.

I have always enjoyed the Manulife building...thought it should have been 10 stories taller.

If the Stantec tower had consistent lines from the top down then I agree it would be barely acceptable.

All that being said I am hardly an expert on architectural design...I just know what moves me and the utilitarian style of the Statec lower floors almost moves me to tears. I just dont see any appeal at all in what amounts to a square box.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You're kind not to be playing divide and conquer. ;)

You're a good one Mr. Cloned. :handclap:

Oh that'll come when the time is right. :D

As for now I'll just hold onto the hope that the Oilers can mirror the Eskimos turnaround this season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have always enjoyed the Manulife building...thought it should have been 10 stories taller.

If the Stantec tower had consistent lines from the top down then I agree it would be barely acceptable.

All that being said I am hardly an expert on architectural design...I just know what moves me and the utilitarian style of the Statec lower floors almost moves me to tears. I just dont see any appeal at all in what amounts to a square box.

It's basically a more modern version of the Edmonton CN Tower as it stands.

I really hope they redesign that bottom portion.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I find parametricist designs, the designs all the rage in Asia, to be not the end all and be all. The Bow is largely parametricist, drawing from Foster's portfolio and palette. It's a cool design but also an okay design.

The building being built in Edmonton is not parametricist. It is a bit of a colder design, what with the commercial and residential clearly separated by an angular offset that allows the tower to narrow. The design is more a standard but stark reminder of the post-modernist functions can exist with cold lines. The flash is prim and starchy, and what will count most is the actual care in the materials and the construction of the building. It's primness, I think, will have the appreciation muted at start but grown on it as it will continue to surround itself with other towers. And those other towers will have the opportunity for much more whimsy if the market calls for it.

I'm still trying to form an opinion on the podium right now but I do like the rooftop features of the podium. I will need to see more of the street level of the building to form my opinion.

OK you won the thread. I'm not arguing architecture with you.:amazed:

I'll slink off into the corner now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad