Speculation: RNH for Dumba trade?

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Dumba + Haula could make sense for Oilers.

Haula replaces RNH down the middle and Dumba provides offense from D.

Haula being a FIN would be a good mentor for Puljujarvi who cant speak much English.

After Haula showed so much improvement after the coaching change I would say most Wild fans are uncomfortable dealing Haula for another center especially since his speed has shown to be such a weapon. Not to mention you can't guarantee Haula's offensive output won't be close to RNH. Meaning Haula/Dumba for RNH is a serious over-payment. If Haula really is a 2nd line center with around 50 points and Dumba ends up a PP QB then the Wild are not getting equal value.

In my mind they are not good trading partners.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree with Russo here. RNH is a marginal upgrade over Granlund and would put MIN into a cap hell in future.

We'll change his first name to Mikko...it'll be good.:)

Yeah, Granlund is way too much of an add. Still don't know what we have in him, but his play at the end of the year was promising.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

Haula being a FIN would be a good mentor for Puljujarvi who cant speak much English.

EDM has Korpikoski and Pakarinen there.

Trading Haula as a part of the deal would create another hole in the middle and he played really well with Pominville and Nino. Is cheap as they come, too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would something around Edm 2017 1st + be of interest for Brodin?

Opens $4 million in cap space and you don't have to be concerned over which defenceman is left unprotected.

Not for me this far away from the draft. If we're going that route (futures only) i'd rather see all of our defensemen play under Boudreau/Stevens and then re-assess in the spring.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would something around Edm 2017 1st + be of interest for Brodin?

Opens $4 million in cap space and you don't have to be concerned over which defenceman is left unprotected.

ONly if you promise to REALLY suck.

I don't see MN being interested in letting Brodin go for a pick. I'm surprised you ask...seems all EDM fans do is **** on him.

I would actually start to be scared of an EDM team with Brodin, Larsson, and Klefbom.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

I don't see MN being interested in letting Brodin go for a pick. I'm surprised you ask...seems all EDM fans do is **** on him.

I would actually start to be scared of an EDM team with Brodin, Larsson, and Klefbom.

Yes, they would be MUCH better.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Unfortunately for this deal, Haula went crazy from FEB on, and might've been our best forward. He also ignited a previously putrid Pominville, causing him to go off in the last couple of months of the season.

Considering what he brings (excellent FO%, defense, PK, speed, some offensive/finishing skill) for all of 1M/yr., I can't see MN letting him go.

I do think that Haula would be perfect for EDM, and it's a good point about having another Finn there.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
$14M in space to re-sign Granlund, Nino, Haula, an entire 4th line + 2 pressbox forwards, an entire 3rd D pair + 1 pressbox defenseman and 1 backup goalie.

Unless we count Vegas taking Scandella/Brodin off our hands for nothing as 'helping'.

Buying out Pominville saves us only ~$1.3M if we decide to go that route as well.
If the cap is flat the Wild will have ~$15.5-16 million to re-sign the above-referenced players w/ Pominville buyout.

The 8 bottom players will be signed for an average of $750k, which is $6 million.

That leaves $9.5-10 million to re-sign Granlund, Nino, and Haula. Not great, but workable. Especially when you give one of those guys a short-term deal to get to the next season where you have big cap relief with Vanek's buyout being removed and Pominville's buyout dropping significantly.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I've wanted Brodin for awhile. A young shutdown top 4 defenceman that can play both sides. That has value in my opinion.

I want to see change and a competitive club.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
They have Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, and Dumba who Wild fans have claimed to all be top pairing(or at least potential). Zero chance they don't lose one in the expansion draft.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
They have Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella, Brodin, and Dumba who Wild fans have claimed to all be top pairing(or at least potential). Zero chance they don't lose one in the expansion draft.

We have the only NHL player to ever come from Vegas that could serve as a possible asset for expansion.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I hope the trade happens soon so these threads can stop being posted.

I'm the opposite. I enjoy the threads and the excitement of the off season and talking value and what could work or wouldn't work with rival fans.

I generally like the Minnesota threads. The fans seem fair and knowledgeable overall. Can't say that about every fanbase in here.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I've wanted Brodin for awhile. A young shutdown top 4 defenceman that can play both sides. That has value in my opinion.

I want to see change and a competitive club.
The Oilers need some offense from the backend. With all the talent up front they were still one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. The Oilers defense doesn't have any offense at all and you want to add Brodin? He needs to stop at the bench to ask for directions to find the net

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
I expect this to happen later today. Chia is a man on a mission. He has no emotional connection to the Oilers boys and he'll do what he'll do.

The only silver lining is that we'll open 6M in cap space.

I'll miss ya Nuge. :(

Sekera - ???
Klefbom - Larsson
Davidson - Dumba

Larsson is on your first pair, Dumba would be on your second, Nurse is on the third.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If the cap is flat the Wild will have ~$15.5-16 million to re-sign the above-referenced players w/ Pominville buyout.

The 8 bottom players will be signed for an average of $750k, which is $6 million.

That leaves $9.5-10 million to re-sign Granlund, Nino, and Haula. Not great, but workable. Especially when you give one of those guys a short-term deal to get to the next season where you have big cap relief with Vanek's buyout being removed and Pominville's buyout dropping significantly.

If you're buying out Pominville, then you need to bring in somebody to replace him on the 3rd line ( let's say Tuch and his $925k) so the savings are negligible. And I'm not so certain you want a 3rd pair of two $750k players. None of Reilly, Folin or Olofsson will be back for that little amount either.

It'll be tough, and made tougher if one or more of Granlund, Nino, Haula have good years under Boudreau.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm the opposite. I enjoy the threads and the excitement of the off season and talking value and what could work or wouldn't work with rival fans.

I generally like the Minnesota threads. The fans seem fair and knowledgeable overall. Can't say that about every fanbase in here.

It's just been rehashed again and again, it ends up becoming either Brodin, Spurgeon, or Dumba. Spurgeon isn't being moved so it's Dumba or Brodin. Edmonton fans don't think Brodin/Dumba is enough or are overrated, Minnesota fans are gunshy of moving a potential top 2 defensemen for a Top 6C that's a fringe 1st line center (at this time).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The Oilers need some offense from the backend. With all the talent up front they were still one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. The Oilers defense doesn't have any offense at all and you want to add Brodin? He needs to stop at the bench to ask for directions to find the net

26th in goals for, 27th in goals against. I think you could use offense and defense pretty equally.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
If you're buying out Pominville, then you need to bring in somebody to replace him on the 3rd line ( let's say Tuch and his $925k) so the savings are negligible. And I'm not so certain you want a 3rd pair of two $750k players. None of Reilly, Folin or Olofsson will be back for that little amount either.

It'll be tough, and made tougher if one or more of Granlund, Nino, Haula have good years under Boudreau.

I'm pretty confident that they all will.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

I mean that's a clever metaphor for his low point totals but you legit have no grasp of his ability to break out and move the puck from his own end to the neutral zone.

I'd absolutely deal Dumba or Scandella before Brodin if I were GMCF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad