Speculation: RNH for Dumba trade?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Again, not a huge RNH fan, but I don't agree with Russo/Fletcher at all if they indeed think that RNH isn't worth Dumba, or that Dumba is worth the same. RNH is worth significantly more. Add in the fact that RNH plays at a postion of need for the Wild and I'm kind of shaking my head. I mean, it's not like we don't already have a solid top 4 AND a good young offensive Dman in Reilly! Why would we not do this deal?

My personal opinion here, I don't think RNH is worth giving up one of our two NHL level RHD, and the one with the sky high offensive potential at that. Mike Reilly is a LHD, so he doesn't replace Dumba in that regard, and personally I don't think Reilly will ever be as good as Dumba offensively either.

I'm not whole heartedly against giving up Dumba, but it would need to be for a player like Johansen or a "reclamation project" like the Seguin trade was.

The other part that doesn't do anything for me is the fact that we'd have to add to Dumba. Adding anything of significant value would only hurt more in the future when RNH is still a 55 point C and Dumba is putting up 40 from the right side of the back end.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Please don't Chia... terrible deal

Having one of Dumba or Nurse on the ice at all times for the future is horrible. Both have extremely questionable puck sense. I love them both but ill be looking the other way when they have the puck in their own end and are being pressured hard if this happens

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
My personal opinion here, I don't think RNH is worth giving up one of our two NHL level RHD, and the one with the sky high offensive potential at that. Mike Reilly is a LHD, so he doesn't replace Dumba in that regard, and personally I don't think Reilly will ever be as good as Dumba offensively either.

I'm not whole heartedly against giving up Dumba, but it would need to be for a player like Johansen or a "reclamation project" like the Seguin trade was.

The other part that doesn't do anything for me is the fact that we'd have to add to Dumba. Adding anything of significant value would only hurt more in the future when RNH is still a 55 point C and Dumba is putting up 40 from the right side of the back end.

A Dman's primary job is to defend.. Dumba from my limited viewing is pretty dumb at it. Oilers are not winning any playoffs series with suspect Dmen like Dumba and Nurse.

Difference between winning and losing is often one boneheaded play. Nurse and Dumba both are prone to it.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You arent getting RNH for Dumba.
Coyle is nowhere near the right add to Dumba for RNH.
Again, not a huge RNH fan, but I don't agree with Russo/Fletcher at all if they indeed think that RNH isn't worth Dumba, or that Dumba is worth the same. RNH is worth significantly more. Add in the fact that RNH plays at a postion of need for the Wild and I'm kind of shaking my head. I mean, it's not like we don't already have a solid top 4 AND a good young offensive Dman in Reilly! Why would we not do this deal?

You already know my response to this :sarcasm:

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
Any need for Edm to get poor value on a trade back for RNH just to acquire(any)RHDman ended yesterday. Dumba doesn't come close to being enough value. And I see no way Minn can do this trade with their cap issues anyways.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Reading some of these posts, it sounds like we're offering Nate Prosser for RNH.

Dumba is a very good, young defenseman. I mean the guy has played one full season in the NHL so far..

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Any of the centers would work- Coyle, Haula, Granlund, even Koivu. We just need someone to fill Nugent-Hopkins' role as probable 3C.

Problem is, we want Coyle and Granlund playing as wingers. Haula wouldn't work in that case, as I don't want Graovac as our 3C either.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A Dman's primary job is to defend.. Dumba from my limited viewing is pretty dumb at it. Oilers are not winning any playoffs series with suspect Dmen like Dumba and Nurse.

Difference between winning and losing is often one boneheaded play.

You're partially right. Dumba ain't perfect defensively. At 21, there is every reason to believe that Dumba will improve on the back end. We saw signs of that last year. He is already getting stronger, and is more able to take the punishment meted out by forecheckers.

Secondly, all I heard from your board during that past year was how you needed a Dman on the point for your PP, and some offense from the back end. Dumba will do that NOW(not potentially),and produce more than he did on the Wild because he isn't being blocked by Suter (who hogged an inordinate amount of PP TOI) and Spurgeon.

Dumba has warts, but it doesn't take much imagination to see what he could be within a very short period of time.

If you want a RHD who delivers 30+ pts. per year, can be featured on the #1 PP, is excellent defensively, and is just hitting his prime...well, who doesn't? They just aren't out there.

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton
It's not like Charlie Coyle is the only thing we can add.

Definitely not, however he may be the only piece Chia wants. He is pretty much the only forward who may be somewhat available from Minnesota that fits the model the Oilers are trying to build (big & skilled).

RNH+1st Rnd pick 2017 For Dumba+Coyle (maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick added from Minny to balance it out).

Does RNH+2017 1st get us in the conversation for Sprugeon+Coyle? If not what needs to be added.

Personally I would much prefer Spurgeon, and would also prefer RNH straight across for Barrie than to any trade involving Dumba, however Chia has shown he is willing to go out on a limb to improve our D Core.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Definitely not, however he may be the only piece Chia wants. He is pretty much the only forward who may be somewhat available from Minnesota that fits the model the Oilers are trying to build (big & skilled).

RNH+1st Rnd pick 2017 For Dumba+Coyle (maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick added from Minny to balance it out).

Does RNH+2017 1st get us in the conversation for Sprugeon+Coyle? If not what needs to be added.

Personally I would much prefer Spurgeon, and would also prefer RNH straight across for Barrie than to any trade involving Dumba, however Chia has shown he is willing to go out on a limb to improve our D Core.

Coyle is not for sale, sorry.

Spurgeon for RNH straight up?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Nope. Draisaitl+

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
If RNH is heading out of town we need a centre coming back. Oilers have a need for a good right handed Center. I honestly believe the hold up in the deals is working out what it will take to obtain Charlie Coyle.

RNH + ??? For Spurgeon+Coyle

Or RNH + ??? For Dumba+ Coyle

I understand the plus would be different for each deal, but what would each take?

Oiler fans are funny! You dealt Hall for Larsson who isn't half the d-man Spurgeon is and you think the Wild would include Coyle too. News flash Coyle is already a better winger than RNH is a center.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Coyle is not for sale, sorry.

Spurgeon for RNH straight up?

This is literally the only thing I see making any sort of sense. Though I think RNH would need an add since his injuries this past season worry me along with his goal pace (18). Need AT LEAST a 20 goal scorer back for center. Not sure that's a guarantee with RNH.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Except trading a right handed defenseman who could score as many goals and points as the C you're getting in return kinda makes me feel like we're getting screwed a lot. Screwed out of a potential dynamic player, amd screwed out of a chance at a real, true 1C if one happens to become available.
How many defenseman score 20+ goals and 50+ points? Is that who you're comparing Dumba too?

Yeah, I have no idea how the Oilers could use this guy.

Yea, I have no idea how the Oilers could use this guy either

He's not tough but at least he isn't "soft" or lacking heart like a lot of people think

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
This is literally the only thing I see making any sort of sense. Though I think RNH would need an add since his injuries this past season worry me along with his goal pace (18). Need AT LEAST a 20 goal scorer back for center. Not sure that's a guarantee with RNH.
His broken knuckle blocking a shot concern you? Go away

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the basic structure of the deal is RNH for Dumba + Kuemper. With Oilers asking for a 2nd on top of that (which Wild don't have). Maybe it gets worked out. Maybe it doesn't. Oilers are obviously also calling on Barrie and Shattenkirk.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

I'd do it straight up, honestly. Our defense is deep enough to lose Spurgie and getting RNH would improve the Wild a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad