Speculation: RNH for Dumba trade?

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
I'd do it straight up, honestly. Our defense is deep enough to lose Spurgie and getting RNH would improve the Wild a lot.

I'd certainly think about it too from the Oilers side. At least Spurgeon has played 1st pairing minutes. Would Chia though? He seems to have a certain template, and it definitely involves size being a big factor, rightly or wrongly.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd certainly think about it too from the Oilers side. At least Spurgeon has played 1st pairing minutes. Would Chia though? He seems to have a certain template, and it definitely involves size being a big factor, rightly or wrongly.

Don't know about Chia's opinions, but Spurgeon's size hasn't been an issue for the Wild.

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton
Oiler fans are funny! You dealt Hall for Larsson who isn't half the d-man Spurgeon is and you think the Wild would include Coyle too. News flash Coyle is already a better winger than RNH is a center.

Both points are extremely untrue.

On RNH and Coyle. RNH has played his entire career against top opposition and done surprisingly well considering how poorly the rest of the Oilers team was. He has 3 50+ point seasons under his belt where as Coyle's best season is 42 points. He is also a year younger than Coyle and is signed to a pretty good contract for what he brings to the table (PK/PP/EV). If you think that Coyle is better than RNH you are significantly overvaluing Coyle and undervaluing RNH. Personally I don't want to trade RNH, however it looks like Chia is on a warpath to improve our defense and is willing to sacrifice some of our jacks and kings to get it done.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Wasn't Chia the GM of Boston? Torey Krug?

OutForMilk

Feb 25, 2010
location, location
Wasn't Chia the GM of Boston? Torey Krug?

That's Boston though. Small players fit well on teams that are big already. Edm hasn't been like that up to this point. I'm sure there is a point though that Chia would figure his team is transformed into being tough and big enough that looking at that player type is the better way to go at some point. Spurgeon has certainly proved he can last in the NHL and do well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the basic structure of the deal is RNH for Dumba + Kuemper. With Oilers asking for a 2nd on top of that (which Wild don't have). Maybe it gets worked out. Maybe it doesn't. Oilers are obviously also calling on Barrie and Shattenkirk.

The money doesn't work out. RNH makes 6M. Dumba, say, 2 -2.5M. Kuemper, say 1.5M.

Wild can't eat 2M. Guess who makes 2M? Zucker.

If EDM has to add a 3rd or something, fine.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
that's just the Badger talking

But we all know the smart people go to UW ;)

I actually really like Reilly and want to keep him. It just doesn't make sense to keep all our LHD. We have Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Reilly, and Olofsson as NHL "capable" LHD (Olofsson is IMO). For RHD? Spurgeon, Dumba, and possibly Folin? If no trades happen I'd love to run:

Suter-Spurgeon
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly-Brodin

Every pairing has an offensive dman and a defensive dman.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Russo is an amazing beat writer, but this is one of those rare times where it seems like his love for a player (Dumba) and his dislike of another (RNH) is getting in the way of his objectivity. He has said he thinks the Wild will regret trading Dumba for RNH.

I agree with Russo here. RNH is a marginal upgrade over Granlund and would put MIN into a cap hell in future.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Both points are extremely untrue.

On RNH and Coyle. RNH has played his entire career against top opposition and done surprisingly well considering how poorly the rest of the Oilers team was. He has 3 50+ point seasons under his belt where as Coyle's best season is 42 points. He is also a year younger than Coyle and is signed to a pretty good contract for what he brings to the table (PK/PP/EV). If you think that Coyle is better than RNH you are significantly overvaluing Coyle and undervaluing RNH. Personally I don't want to trade RNH, however it looks like Chia is on a warpath to improve our defense and is willing to sacrifice some of our jacks and kings to get it done.

I love RNH but when you look at what Coyle provides in addition to his offense he's more valuable than RNH. Not to mention Coyle can play wing or center which only adds to his value. Also, power forwards take longer to develop and usually don't hit their peak offensive years until their 26 year which Coyle is still 2 years away from.

If you're looking at strictly points of course RNH has a higher value. It's completely unrealistic to believe the Wild would deal Coyle even up for RNH.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
In the last weeks this has been parroted so many times despite zero proof to back up the claim.

$14M in space to re-sign Granlund, Nino, Haula, an entire 4th line + 2 pressbox forwards, an entire 3rd D pair + 1 pressbox defenseman and 1 backup goalie.

Unless we count Vegas taking Scandella/Brodin off our hands for nothing as 'helping'.

Buying out Pominville saves us only ~$1.3M if we decide to go that route as well.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Coyle is not for sale, sorry.

Spurgeon for RNH straight up?

That's bad for the Wild. I mean, really bad.

We all saw how important Spurgeon is to Wild's game when he went down. And how whole team played better when he came back.

I would trade Suter before Spurgeon, if he wouldn't have that goddamn NTC.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
totality of circumstances, I see Stepan for Dumba more likely, unless Oil wants to add overpay

Yes, but the same problem, but even more so(Stepan makes more)exists for the Wild. Dumba will make about 2-2.5M. Stepan makes , what 6.5M?

Wild can't take back 4M+. Other players would have to be added, making it a more complicated deal.

At least EDM can take back some salary, if it comes to that. Rangers can't, so things have to be worked out just so.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dumba + Haula could make sense for Oilers.

Haula replaces RNH down the middle and Dumba provides offense from D.

Haula being a FIN would be a good mentor for Puljujarvi who cant speak much English.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Dumba + Haula could make sense for Oilers.

Haula replaces RNH down the middle and Dumba provides offense from D.

Haula being a FIN would be a good mentor for Puljujarvi who cant speak much English.

I don't want Dumba at the expense of RNH.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
But we all know the smart people go to UW ;)

I actually really like Reilly and want to keep him. It just doesn't make sense to keep all our LHD. We have Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Reilly, and Olofsson as NHL "capable" LHD (Olofsson is IMO). For RHD? Spurgeon, Dumba, and possibly Folin? If no trades happen I'd love to run:

Suter-Spurgeon
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly-Brodin

Every pairing has an offensive dman and a defensive dman.

Of course, you being a brilliant and well informed UW alum, know that Brodin can and has played RD for the majority of his time in the NHL?

I do agree that moving Spurgeon would only be if it was for an overpayment. That is one RHD i don't want to see go, in spite of his awful TV commercials.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
$14M in space to re-sign Granlund, Nino, Haula, an entire 4th line + 2 pressbox forwards, an entire 3rd D pair + 1 pressbox defenseman and 1 backup goalie.

Unless we count Vegas taking Scandella/Brodin off our hands for nothing as 'helping'.

Buying out Pominville saves us only ~$1.3M if we decide to go that route as well.

Would something around Edm 2017 1st + be of interest for Brodin?

Opens $4 million in cap space and you don't have to be concerned over which defenceman is left unprotected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad