Speculation: RNH for Dumba trade?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You mean the center that has yet to prove he can score at a top-6 level without Taylor Hall? The one who played very sheltered minutes? And where did you get the idea that Draisaitl is a two-way forward?
I think you quoted the wrong person. Never said Draisaitl was a two-way forward. He does have sky-high potential and he doesn't have the $6m cap hit like RNH. That's what interests me. Kinda sounds like Dumba, eh? All potential.
Tried this one on the Oil boards and my fellow Oil fans didn't like it, wondering if some Wild fans could chime in on it...

To MIN: Nuge, Reinhart, 2017 1st

To EDM: Dumba, Granlund

Granlund could slot in at 3C and is a fellow Finn for Pulju to ease the transition into the NHL. Dumba gives us a PP point man and RH shot.

Thoughts?

We've got Koivu-Staal-Haula down the middle and Coyle/Granlund have played center. Ask again in a year after the expansion draft. Koivu will have one year left on his deal and the idea would be to replace Koivu with RNH the season after.

57special is 100% correct though, Reinhart does nothing for us. AHL depth behind Suter-Scandella-Reilly-Olofsson. That's before including Brodin can play both sides.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
We've got Koivu-Staal-Haula down the middle and Coyle/Granlund have played center. Ask again in a year after the expansion draft. Koivu will have one year left on his deal and the idea would be to replace Koivu with RNH the season after.

Which would make RNH an even more desirable asset, wouldn't it?

Look, I like Eric Staal, but he stopped being a legitimate 1C four years ago and now it looks like he's leaving 2C in the rearview mirror. Koivu-RNH-Staal would be a great trio and match up well against most lines. Staal isn't even overpaid for that role- 3.5 million is about right for checking centers these days. It would then, as you say, allow the team to naturally transition from Koivu in the top job to RNH. It makes sense.

However, if you wait until after the expansion draft, you're looking at losing one of Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin or Dumba. Edmonton would have even less interest in trading Nugent-Hopkins to you at that point because the entire goal would be to net one of those expendable D.

I just see it as a loss for the Wild if they don't pull the trigger on this sort of deal soon. You have all kinds of spare D, you have as you mention so many young middle six centers they're playing wing. Trade one D and one C to us and that's a done deal probably. Everyone walks away happy and better off.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The only way we do this deal is if we are certain RNH is a #1 center and worth not only the assets we would give up but his contract and I don't think Wild management are convinced of it.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The only way we do this deal is if we are certain RNH is a #1 center and worth not only the assets we would give up but his contract and I don't think Wild management are convinced of it.

There aren't many better bets out there. It seems like RNH has been playing forever but he's only 23. His point totals haven't been gaudy but they've been consistent (save for last year) and that's a rarity in young talent. I mean, 52, 56 and 56 points in full seasons for the tirefire that's been Edmonton? He survived and then some.

Take Mikko Koivu as an example; he had 54 points in his second NHL season, then dipped down to 42 in 57 games before taking off right after that- and he was OLDER than Nugent-Hopkins is now.

Make no mistake- you're getting a good player if what he is today is he all is, but there's still a lot of upside there. Given a strong two-way club like Minnesota where he's supported well on the wing, and I think he'd be a standout for you folks.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Tight cap for the Wild.

$7 million in cap space.

11 forwards signed.
6 D men signed
1 Goalie signed

So, still need 5 more players. That's a lot of ELC or sub $1 million guys to spread out when you only have $7 million left.

Getting RNH would drop the cap space down to $1 million and they still need 4 more NHL players.

Can't see a deal working out between the 2 clubs. At least not without other pieces being involved.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tight cap for the Wild.

$7 million in cap space.

11 forwards signed.
6 D men signed
1 Goalie signed

So, still need 5 more players. That's a lot of ELC or sub $1 million guys to spread out when you only have $7 million left.

Getting RNH would drop the cap space down to $1 million and they still need 4 more NHL players.

Can't see a deal working out between the 2 clubs. At least not without other pieces being involved.

Well, Dumba would be about 2-2.5M off MN's cap, but you're right...the deal wouldn't work without more salary going the other way. As I've said before, Kuemper and Zucker would get things to about even. Others would say Spurgeon (5.2M) with a small add. If either of those scenarios happened the Wild would be fine cap wise. What they can't do is send just Dumba, or Dumba and a pick, for RNH. They would lose 3.5-4M in cap space, which would be an impossible situation for them.

I think the Wild signing Staal is a sign that they have either given up on acquiring RNH, Stepan, or any other young C in trade.

From EDM's side, their trade of Hall has made it likely that they aren't going to be sending any more of their forwards away in trade. I would guess that they are looking to sign a FA top4 Dman.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

RNH deal is not happening since Staal was signed. Could close this thread now...

My guess is that you ll make the deal with COL.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
RNH deal is not happening since Staal was signed. Could close this thread now...

My guess is that you ll make the deal with COL.

The Oilers could still offer-sheet Dumba to really mess with their cap. The offer sheet could be 4 years, $22.5M. The picks required would only be a first and a third (just barely), but if not matched, the Oilers would not have their own draft picks until the 4th round in the 2017 draft. This would likely force the Wild to trade someone like Jason Pominville.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
My point is quickly becoming if there is juicy offer then deal one of the d-men. I mean if Arizona offered Dvorak for Dumba I would say you consider that. Otherwise with Koivu, Haula, Staal and Graovac down the middle you wait until Eriksson-Ek and Kunin turn pro.

I will say Granlund playing wing is a joke; a 5-10 170 winger going to dig in the corners is wow! I mean Bouchard was that size but his career was ruined by concussions because he had to play so much of his game along the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad