Speculation: RNH for Dumba trade?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Oilers need some offense from the backend. With all the talent up front they were still one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. The Oilers defense doesn't have any offense at all and you want to add Brodin? He needs to stop at the bench to ask for directions to find the net

I want the Oilers to play a system like the LA Kings. Give me a team built on goaltending, defense and up the strength up the middle. With size on the wings.

Yes I want Brodin. I'd also like a PMD. The top pairing types are just far to expensive. Brodin could be a reasonable priced add.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
26th in goals for, 27th in goals against. I think you could use offense and defense pretty equally.
Mainly because they have a bunch of mouth breathers on the backend that can check and play defense but have no idea what to do when the puck touches their stick. Brodin doesn't touch that

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Am I missing sarcasm

We need a player like Dumba, just like we've needed Burns since he left. Spurgeon is a good player but he's likely to hover around 25-30 at best. Dumba has the potential for far more, and his shot on the PP could make our whole PP look better than it is.

We need a 1C (which RNH is borderline), and we need more goal scorers in general, which Dumba is. Trade other defenders for those goal scorers, or don't make trades.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Mainly because they have a bunch of mouth breathers on the backend that can check and play defense but have no idea what to do when the puck touches their stick. Brodin doesn't touch that

He can actually break the puck out pretty dang well. His offensive "issues" come from not asserting himself in the offensive zone.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
We have the only NHL player to ever come from Vegas that could serve as a possible asset for expansion.
You do know that Vegas will be taking 30 players right? So which one of your forwards will be taken since they will be taking one player from each team

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Klefbom, Larsson and Sekera can all move the puck. We were a much better club with a healthy Klefbom. Brodin while not a point producer isn't lost with the puck.

Obviously we won't agree on Brodin and that's fine.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

If by Brodin doesn't touch that, you mean Brodin is definitely not a mouth breather on the backend that has no idea what to do when the puck touches their stick, you're correct, that does not describe him.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Klefbom, Larsson and Sekera can all move the puck. We were a much better club with a healthy Klefbom. Brodin while not a point producer isn't lost with the puck.

Obviously we won't agree on Brodin and that's fine.
What a stupid website this would be if we did :laugh:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
$14M in space to re-sign Granlund, Nino, Haula, an entire 4th line + 2 pressbox forwards, an entire 3rd D pair + 1 pressbox defenseman and 1 backup goalie.

Unless we count Vegas taking Scandella/Brodin off our hands for nothing as 'helping'.

Buying out Pominville saves us only ~$1.3M if we decide to go that route as well.
I told him that in the other thread and he chose to ignore so...
Of course, you being a brilliant and well informed UW alum, know that Brodin can and has played RD for the majority of his time in the NHL?

I do agree that moving Spurgeon would only be if it was for an overpayment. That is one RHD i don't want to see go, in spite of his awful TV commercials.
Not a UW-Madison alumni. Nor did I apply there even though it was my dream school ($40k out of state tuition, to hell with that!). Did apply to UM-Minneapolis though and got accepted. Didn't go there though but I've got a few buddies that do. Of course I know that Brodin plays RD just like I know that Dumba provides way more offense and could become more valuable than Brodin as soon as next season. All he needs is a coach to give him a chance and allow him to make mistakes so he can learn. Yeo didn't do that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You do know that Vegas will be taking 30 players right? So which one of your forwards will be taken since they will be taking one player from each team

The hope is the Zucker has a good enough season for Vegas to take him, and if he doesn't, then bribes could be considered.

The Blue Llama

May 16, 2009
Minnesota
I want the Oilers to play a system like the LA Kings. Give me a team built on goaltending, defense and up the strength up the middle. With size on the wings.

Yes I want Brodin. I'd also like a PMD. The top pairing types are just far to expensive. Brodin could be a reasonable priced add.

Brodin is a PMD. Does a great job of moving the puck out of the D zone and through the neutral zone. . If he just changes his game to actually press in the O zone the points will come. And with BB and Stevens behind the bench, I'd be willing to put money on the D putting up significantly more than under Yeo.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
We need a player like Dumba, just like we've needed Burns since he left. Spurgeon is a good player but he's likely to hover around 25-30 at best. Dumba has the potential for far more, and his shot on the PP could make our whole PP look better than it is.

We need a 1C (which RNH is borderline), and we need more goal scorers in general, which Dumba is. Trade other defenders for those goal scorers, or don't make trades.

I just think we have much more pressing needs than an offensive RHD when we have two offensive defensemen in Spurgeon and potentially Reilly. It sounds like Dumba or Brodin are the 2 assets that we're going to attempt to use to get that 1C, which is a greater need than a Dumba like player. I'd rather keep everyone to be honest, but that's not gonna happen with expansion.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I just think we have much more pressing needs than an offensive RHD when we have two offensive defensemen in Spurgeon and potentially Reilly. It sounds like Dumba or Brodin are the 2 assets that we're going to attempt to use to get that 1C, which is a greater need than a Dumba like player. I'd rather keep everyone to be honest, but that's not gonna happen with expansion.

Reilly's another lefty, trade him then. Or Brodin. Seeing as how we also have Olofsson to replace him apparently.

There is not one player in our system right now with the potential that Dumba has. You don't trade that unless it's for a legit 1C. RNH is not that guy.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Reilly's another lefty, trade him then. Or Brodin. Seeing as how we also have Olofsson to replace him apparently.

There is not one player in our system right now with the potential that Dumba has. You don't trade that unless it's for a legit 1C. RNH is not that guy.

Reilly just wouldn't get us what Dumba would though. And I just never have seen the over the top potential from Dumba because his defensive abilities and his hesitation still worries me. I know he's young and trading him could bite us in the ass like Burns/Leddy, I'm more in favor of moving Brodin than Dumba, but I'd move either if it'll fetch us a 1C. I always find it interesting how a portion of our fan base is vehemently against moving Dumba and another portion with Brodin.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Reilly just wouldn't get us what Dumba would though.

Exactly. Because he's nowhere near as good and won't be an adequate Dumba replacement in the future.

And I just never have seen the over the top potential from Dumba because his defensive abilities and his hesitation still worries me. I know he's young and trading him could bite us in the ass like Burns/Leddy, I'm more in favor of moving Brodin than Dumba, but I'd move either if it'll fetch us a 1C.

Defense can be taught to Dumba. Especially with Stevens working with him. The shot, and the mentality, can not be taught. The offensive potential is clearly there (10g almost 30 points in his first full season, tracking similarly to Burns at this point).

Brodin has been in the league for four years now. It's the same thing with RNH and Brodin, you're pretty much seeing what you're going to be getting. We've been saying Brodin could break out offensively for the past 3 years. It's not going to happen.

Reilly could replace Brodin on our roster, even if he won't be as good defensively, but we have Scandella to take those minutes, and if Olofsson is as good as some people here suggest, he could share those minutes as well. But again, there is no one in our system that can replace what Dumba's right-handedness or what he could bring in the future.

I'm not whole-heartedly against trading Dumba, but it damn well better be for the right player. I'm talking like a Seguin type deal here. Draisaitl, Bennett, Reinhart, maybe even Dylan Strome.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If you're buying out Pominville, then you need to bring in somebody to replace him on the 3rd line ( let's say Tuch and his $925k) so the savings are negligible. And I'm not so certain you want a 3rd pair of two $750k players. None of Reilly, Folin or Olofsson will be back for that little amount either.

It'll be tough, and made tougher if one or more of Granlund, Nino, Haula have good years under Boudreau.
I said average of $750k for the bottom 8 guys. Some will be $1 million. Some will guys on league minimum contracts.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ok Oil fans how awful is this deal

To Min
RNH and Klef

To EDM
Dumba
Coyla
2nd

Oh good another left handed defenseman :)

Suter
Scandella
Klefbom
Brodin
Reilly
Olofsson

on the left, Spurgeon on the right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad