Speculation: RNH for Dumba trade?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't think it makes sense for the Oilers anymore. Dumba is not developed enough to slot ahead of some of the guys they already have, so it does not makes sense to deal a top 2 centre for him.

If nothing else Draisaitl can be moved to the wing and they can leave McDavid and RNH down the middle

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton
If RNH is heading out of town we need a centre coming back. Oilers have a need for a good right handed Center. I honestly believe the hold up in the deals is working out what it will take to obtain Charlie Coyle.

RNH + ??? For Spurgeon+Coyle

Or RNH + ??? For Dumba+ Coyle

I understand the plus would be different for each deal, but what would each take?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't think it makes sense for the Oilers anymore. Dumba is not developed enough to slot ahead of some of the guys they already have, so it does not makes sense to deal a top 2 centre for him.

If nothing else Draisaitl can be moved to the wing and they can leave McDavid and RNH down the middle
What is this?

Dumba could easily be the Oilers top pairing RD above Larsson next season and also be the 1st PP quarterback.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Minnesota can't do that (RNH for Dumba), they're in cap hell already.
Man there is some bad misinformation going on right now.

Wild have $12 million in cap to re-sign Dumba and Kuemper, and their 4th line scrubs. Dumba for RNH straight up would be $6 million for Kuemper and 4th line scrubs. Somehow, I think they will manage.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Would Dumba have to be protected in the expansion draft or is he exempt? Don't know how many years he's been in the NHL or if he played in the AHL or not.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If they trade RNH for Dumba straight up I'll be looking for a new team to follow. I won't put anything past Oilers management after yesterday however.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I dont believe this. I d think UFA demers is the primary option.

Also Russo (wild beat writer) makes it sound like Fletcher (wild GM) is not sold on RNH as a solution.

"Does it completely end the Nugent-Hopkins chatter? Who knows?

One reason the Dumba for Nugent-Hopkins chatter made little sense to me is Nugent-Hopkins is a $6 million player through 2021 and Dumba is a potential restricted free agent likely readying to sign an inexpensive bridge deal.

Nugent-Hopkins for Jonas Brodin made more sense because the mobile, terrific defenseman has five years left on his deal at almost $4.2 million per. Trading that contract for Nugent-Hopkins' expensive one would allow the Wild more flexibility to do other things, like go after a winger at a lucrative deal.

Also, make a trade for Nugent-Hopkins, and it's a long-term decision and will keep the Wild from getting in on any other potential No. 1 or 2 centers available now or in the future. So you better be sure Nugent-Hopkins will develop into a stud if you acquire him.
Otherwise, you're better off looking a different direction now or waiting for somebody or somebodies you think will be available via trade or free agency in the future."

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I expect this to happen later today. Chia is a man on a mission. He has no emotional connection to the Oilers boys and he'll do what he'll do.

The only silver lining is that we'll open 6M in cap space.

I'll miss ya Nuge. :(

Sekera - ???
Klefbom - Larsson
Davidson - Dumba

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Would Dumba have to be protected in the expansion draft or is he exempt? Don't know how many years he's been in the NHL or if he played in the AHL or not.
No.

But better question is whether Nurse can still go back to the AHL without waivers to be protected.

Because if that's possible, with Dumba on the Oilers, I would hope the Oilers would be smart enough to send Nurse to the AHL, and then just run a Davidson-Fayne bottom pairing while giving Nurse top minutes for the year.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I expect this to happen later today. Chia is a man on a mission. He has no emotional connection to the Oilers boys and he'll do what he'll do.

The only silver lining is that we'll open 6M in cap space.

I'll miss ya Nuge. :(

I'm going to miss Nuge too. Dammit, I hope the trades are worth it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I dont believe this. I d think UFA demers is the primary option.

Also Russo (wild beat writer) makes it sound like Fletcher (wild GM) is not sold on RNH as a solution.

"Does it completely end the Nugent-Hopkins chatter? Who knows?

One reason the Dumba for Nugent-Hopkins chatter made little sense to me is Nugent-Hopkins is a $6 million player through 2021 and Dumba is a potential restricted free agent likely readying to sign an inexpensive bridge deal.

Nugent-Hopkins for Jonas Brodin made more sense because the mobile, terrific defenseman has five years left on his deal at almost $4.2 million per. Trading that contract for Nugent-Hopkins' expensive one would allow the Wild more flexibility to do other things, like go after a winger at a lucrative deal.

Also, make a trade for Nugent-Hopkins, and it's a long-term decision and will keep the Wild from getting in on any other potential No. 1 or 2 centers available now or in the future. So you better be sure Nugent-Hopkins will develop into a stud if you acquire him.
Otherwise, you're better off looking a different direction now or waiting for somebody or somebodies you think will be available via trade or free agency in the future."
Russo is an amazing beat writer, but this is one of those rare times where it seems like his love for a player (Dumba) and his dislike of another (RNH) is getting in the way of his objectivity. He has said he thinks the Wild will regret trading Dumba for RNH.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Russo is an amazing beat writer, but this is one of those rare times where it seems like his love for a player (Dumba) and his dislike of another (RNH) is getting in the way of his objectivity. He has said he thinks the Wild will regret trading Dumba for RNH.

Yeah, I think they will too.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Current expected expansion protection:
7F+3D:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic*, RNH, Pouliot, Maroon, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera
Exposed: Nurse

5F+4D:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic*, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse
Exposed: Pouliot, Maroon

After RNH for Dman trade:
5F+4D:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic*, Pouliot, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Dumba*
Exposed: Maroon, Nurse

Essentially they lose Nurse or Pouliot either way, so they have to decide which combo they want most.

Nurse + RNH (lose Pouliot)
RNH + Pouliot (lose Nurse)
Dumba + Pouliot (Lose RNH+Nurse)

Are you sure Nurse even needs to be protected? 2015-2016 was his first season as a pro.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Current expected expansion protection:
7F+3D:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic*, RNH, Pouliot, Maroon, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera
Exposed: Nurse

5F+4D:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic*, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Nurse
Exposed: Pouliot, Maroon

After RNH for Dman trade:
5F+4D:
McDavid, Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic*, Pouliot, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Dumba*
Exposed: Maroon, Nurse

Essentially they lose Nurse or Pouliot either way, so they have to decide which combo they want most.

Nurse + RNH (lose Pouliot)
RNH + Pouliot (lose Nurse)
Dumba + Pouliot (Lose RNH+Nurse)

Nurse is automatically protected as second year pro

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's fine.

Best deals are where both sides feel like they won a little and got screwed a little.

Except trading a right handed defenseman who could score as many goals and points as the C you're getting in return kinda makes me feel like we're getting screwed a lot. Screwed out of a potential dynamic player, amd screwed out of a chance at a real, true 1C if one happens to become available.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Except trading a right handed defenseman who could score as many goals and points as the C you're getting in return kinda makes me feel like we're getting screwed a lot. Screwed out of a potential dynamic player, amd screwed out of a chance at a real, true 1C if one happens to become available.

Good thing Dumba has never put up remotely close to RNH numbers over a full season then? What a weird post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->