Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
Too be fair they didn't look great the first game.. giving up 51 shots. Bibeau was completely the reason they won. Also, Guelph are probably the favorites.

Don't forget London's inability to finish!
I know the situation... I was just hoping they'd do a little more than just... this, I guess.
Guelph are the favourites this year and it's easy to see why watching this game.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Ken Holland inteview on sportsnet...

- Mantha will be given opportunity to make top 6 for Detroit
- Believes the youth movement has started, Sheahan and Jurco on the team next year
- Likes Bertuzzi as a prospect, good hands, good hockey iq
- If Mantha makes team, either with Dats and Z or Nyquist/Franzen
- The defense in GR will be given a look in training camp (Marchenko, Backman, Ouellet...)

Aug 6, 2012
Ken Holland inteview on sportsnet...

- Mantha will be given opportunity to make top 6 for Detroit
- Believes the youth movement has started, Sheahan and Jurco on the team next year
- Likes Bertuzzi as a prospect, good hands, good hockey iq
- If Mantha makes team, either with Dats and Z or Nyquist/Franzen
- The defense in GR will be given a look in training camp (Marchenko, Backman, Ouellet...)

Hope this is true.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Bertuzzi scored

http://gfycat.com/DisfiguredBitesizedAmericanbadger#
DisfiguredBitesizedAmericanbadger.gif

Had to gif it just for that face lol

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Mantha will be given a chance to make the top 6?

So is it a boom or "bust" thing? That makes it sound like he will have a roster spot, but will be given top 6 minutes to start out.

I still have a tough time seeing Jurco making the opening night roster, let alone Mantha, but I guess we'll see.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mantha will be given a chance to make the top 6?

Mantha will only have a chance of making the top 6.

They would rather have him on Line 1 in GR, than line 3 or 4 in Detroit. They've basically suggested it in every interview so far this off season. It's either top 6 for the Wings or nothing. They think it's best for his development that way.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You really need to get over it. It was said at the time that there were at least some other teams that had him graded as a third round quality player. He got picked one pick before the third round. On top of that, him scoring a few goals is showing he produces like he should at his draft position. Some are saying hes the MVP of the best junior team in the world. Hes producing at a high level for his draft position and one of the best players on the best junior team going. Maybe the wings scouts that have actually seen him plenty know what theyre doing. Its definitely looking like a very good pick right now.

The Jensen stuff is stupid too. Get over it, Jensen wanted to fight and actually was the first one throwing with no gloves on.

like who? he's 6th on his team in scoring in the Playoffs and was 11th in the regular season

and no it really doesn't matter,he's a guy that projects as a 4th liner at best that put up about a PPG in juniors the year after his draft,it's really nothing special and shouldn't change anyones mind about him

NyquistIsMyGod*

Mantha will only have a chance of making the top 6.

They would rather have him on Line 1 in GR, than line 3 or 4 in Detroit. They've basically suggested it in every interview so far this off season. It's either top 6 for the Wings or nothing. They think it's best for his development that way.

I actually think the team should roll three full lines of offense which could give Mantha a chance. There's depth. A lot of it. You can argue Weiss, Mule, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Alfredsson, Tatar, and Nyquist all being top six forwards right now.That's 7 players right there. Then you have the chance of Jurco and Sheahan being ready for that too. Helm showed signs. Have the chance to sign one as well.

There's plenty of offense. If he's on line 3, which is used like a 2b line, I'm cool with him on the team.

I watched the game. A bit I guess. 30 minutes or so. Mantha seemed to be coasting. Guelph is really, really good though. Tyler Bertuzzi looked solid, but on such a deep team. He will be returning to Guelph next season. Should be a legit top six player. I'm really hoping for Andrew Shaw in him.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
like who? he's 6th on his team in scoring in the Playoffs and was 11th in the regular season

They aren't calling him the MVP but they're saying that he contributes far more to the team than his points would tell you. The other thing is that he doesn't get PP time very often and if he does it's on the 2nd unit. He's also playing 3rd line minutes so for him to put up the numbers that he is on the 3rd line is impressive.

and no it really doesn't matter,he's a guy that projects as a 4th liner at best that put up about a PPG in juniors the year after his draft,it's really nothing special and shouldn't change anyones mind about him

He projects to be more than a 4th liner. When he was picked he was compared to Andrew Shaw by McKenzie and earlier today Red Wing's Central said they think he could be a "Marchand type player". He's got all of the tools to be a very good 3rd liner in the NHL it's all a matter of staying healthy.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
It would be awesome if Mantha can make the top-6 next year but I don't think he's ready physically. It seems like he's sort of soft and get's pushed around for a bigger guy. Needs to get a little stronger and learn how to play away from the puck a little more.

He will be 20 by September so he's still young, no need to rush him if he's not ready. I would start him with the GR and take it from there.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Bertuzzi played in the top six, played like he was a buck 50 (Todd) and doesn't have much of a shot at this point. Physical play there or not, I think him making the team is veyr realistic.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Bertuzzi played in the top six, played like he was a buck 50 (Todd) and doesn't have much of a shot at this point. Physical play there or not, I think him making the team is veyr realistic.

No one said he does not have a shot, but he would have to outshine a lot of guys to get that spot and we already know how our organization is tough on prospects from the get go. I know things are changing and we may very well see Mantha this upcoming season, but if I was a betting man, I think he will start with the Grand Rapids.

NyquistIsMyGod*

No one said he does not have a shot, but he would have to outshine a lot of guys to get that spot and we already know how our organization is tough on prospects from the get go. I know things are changing and we may very well see Mantha this upcoming season, but if I was a betting man, I think he will start with the Grand Rapids.

Holland said today that the transition started last year and you're going to see more and more kids up while trying to be competitive. I really think Mantha is given a 50/50 shot.

I think Tats is the best fit on line 3.
Alfredsson retires.

That leaves you a damn good shot to beat out a player to get into the top six role. Nobody has his size or shoots as much as him (Tats does) so he could get a look because of that. I hope Jurco isn't bent over though. I could see Jurco being the best of the kids.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Holland said today that the transition started last year and you're going to see more and more kids up while trying to be competitive. I really think Mantha is given a 50/50 shot.

I think Tats is the best fit on line 3.
Alfredsson retires.

That leaves you a damn good shot to beat out a player to get into the top six role. Nobody has his size or shoots as much as him (Tats does) so he could get a look because of that. I hope Jurco isn't bent over though. I could see Jurco being the best of the kids.

You're gonna have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Jurco to compete with for the top-6. I'm not opposed to Mantha playing on the top-6 and pushing one or two of these guys down to the third line, but I honestly don't think Mantha is ready to push any of these guys.

As far as size go, if he get's pushed around easily there's no point of that size. Don't get me wrong, I think he has the best potential out of all of the younger players that we have, but if he's not ready, there's no need to rush him.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
You're gonna have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and Jurco to compete with for the top-6. I'm not opposed to Mantha playing on the top-6 and pushing one or two of these guys down to the third line, but I honestly don't think Mantha is ready to push any of these guys.

As far as size go, if he get's pushed around easily there's no point of that size. Don't get me wrong, I think he has the best potential out of all of the younger players that we have, but if he's not ready, there's no need to rush him.

I really doubt he is in the top 6 next year. He is gonna have to grow his game and learn to use his teammates more to get second line time. This is to not say at some point in his career he won't be a top 6 winger just that he isn't atm. It wouldn't suprise me much if the kids line stays intact as our third line if key players stay healthy. Jurco because of size might get some time in top 6 because he actually has hands.

Mantha is a interesting case though. He could make the team in the top 9 and be fine if babs wants to roll three scoring lines. However if he believes Helm can run a scoring line we will be a top 6 skill bottom 6 grinder team.

I would hope Babcock turns into the idea of rolling all 4 lines but I'm not holding my breath for that. Because of the usual square peg round hole line ups he endears.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I really doubt he is in the top 6 next year. He is gonna have to grow his game and learn to use his teammates more to get second line time. This is to not say at some point in his career he won't be a top 6 winger just that he isn't atm. It wouldn't suprise me much if the kids line stays intact as our third line if key players stay healthy. Jurco because of size might get some time in top 6 because he actually has hands.

Mantha is a interesting case though. He could make the team in the top 9 and be fine if babs wants to roll three scoring lines. However if he believes Helm can run a scoring line we will be a top 6 skill bottom 6 grinder team.

I would hope Babcock turns into the idea of rolling all 4 lines but I'm not holding my breath for that. Because of the usual square peg round hole line ups he endears.

Tatar had 39 points in 73 games and was 6th in the team lead for points behind the obvious top suspects. I would imagine he has the potential to score 50+ points over a full season next year, that to me is top-6 material.

I could also see Jurco and Sheahan coming close to 50 points but if we want to roll 4 lines, I don't mind them keeping Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco as a third line and playing Mantha in the top-6 with Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Nyquist/Franzen/Abdelkader. Then we can roll a 4th line with Miller-Helm-Glendening, of course I'm saying all of this and not even mentioning that we still have Weiss in the line-up who's projected to be a top-6, which is exactly why I think it's going to be difficult putting Mantha in there right away.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Sheahan-Nyquist
Tatar-Weiss-Mantha
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening
Miller, Callahan/Ferraro

I feel all forward lines are sheltered for the least experienced player, yet, all have talent. I really like that 4th line combo. Gritty, plus the threat of a breakaway from Helm...keeps teams on their toes.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Oullett-Marchenko.
Lashoff.

^^^
Assuming no FA's.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I wouldn't want Mantha to play with anyone other than Datsyuk, maybe even Datsyuk AND Zetterberg. I think he could really do some damage with those two. Think Hertl in San Jose.

The key for Mantha will be how quickly he learns. He need to raise his intensity off the puck and shorten his shifts, at least based on what I've seen from him.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Sheahan-Nyquist
Tatar-Weiss-Mantha
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening
Miller, Callahan/Ferraro

I feel all forward lines are sheltered for the least experienced player, yet, all have talent. I really like that 4th line combo. Gritty, plus the threat of a breakaway from Helm...keeps teams on their toes.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Oullett-Marchenko.
Lashoff.

^^^
Assuming no FA's.

I'm down with that. But prefer they sign/trade a top 4 d-man.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He was 11th because he missed time. A lot of the ohl guys I follow have been praising him on twitter, maybe it was Sean lafortune? From the bottom lines he's producing, leading their team in goals in the mem cup, a top pker and doesn't get pp time to boost his stats. Te guy is looking like a perfectly fine second round pick

As for last nights game, I really didn't notice mantha offensively even though he had a point but I was noticing defensive plays that made up for it. He was great on the pk and had some great back checks.. His speed seems even better now than at the juniors

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

Tony Saxon made the mvp reference, I remember raising an eyebrow but it wasn't serious. Simply throwing his name into the mix highlights his contributions.
With all due respect to the likes of leading scorer Zack Mitchell, sniper Robby Fabbri and rock-solid defensive duo Nick Ebert and Matt Finn, there would be a strong case for naming Bertuzzi as the Storm's most valuable player in this post-season run.

In 17 games since returning from a lengthy injury layoff he has scored 10 goals and added seven assists. Much of that was done playing on the team's third and fourth line.

He is also one of the team's top penalty killers and better defensive forwards. Bertuzzi is even taking the odd face-off these days.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tony Saxon made the mvp reference, I remember raising an eyebrow but it wasn't serious. Simply throwing his name into the mix highlights his contributions.

Yep, even though he may not truly be MVP hes playing great hockey that deserves recognition even amongst all those great young players who are on the best junior team in the world.

Hes currently leading the mem cup in goals. The only thing somewhat disappointing has been his health. When on the ice he looks 110 percent worth being drafted where he was. How people still complain about it or call it stupid is beyond me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad