Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Mantha v. Reinhart tonight.

I'll sadly probably miss it. London's numbers for the Knights over a long-term are so damn impressive though. That arena for an OHL team. The fan support. Incredible.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yep, even though he may not truly be MVP hes playing great hockey that deserves recognition even amongst all those great young players who are on the best junior team in the world.

Hes currently leading the mem cup in goals. The only thing somewhat disappointing has been his health. When on the ice he looks 110 percent worth being drafted where he was. How people still complain about it or call it stupid is beyond me

I would be interested in seeing a list of goal scoring leaders from past memorial cups actually,you know a place I could see that?

I feel like with the tiny sample size there would be a good mix of great players and some that aren't so good on that list over the years

NyquistIsMyGod*

I would be interested in seeing a list of goal scoring leaders from past memorial cups actually,you know a place I could see that?

I feel like with the tiny sample size there would be a good mix of great players and some that aren't so good on that list over the years

Overagers can dominate based on being stronger and having more experience, so yes you are correct.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

2013 Memorial Cup:

Best goalscorers:

Nathan MacKinnon, 7 goals
Ty Rattie, 6 goals
Martin Frk, 5 goals
Josh Nicholls, 4 goals

2012 Memorial Cup:

Jonathan Huberdeau, 5 goals
Michal Chaput, 5 goals
Anton Zlobin, 5 goals

2011 Memorial Cup:

Tomas Jurco, 4 goals
Matt Fraser 4 goals
Jonathan Huberdeau, 3 goals
Devante Smith-Pelly, 3 goals
Cody Eakin, 3 goals

2010 Memorial Cup:

Taylor Hall, 5 goals
Adam Henrique, 4 goals

2009 Memorial Cup:

Jamie Benn, 5 goals
Dale Mitchell, 5 goals
Adam Henrique, 4 goals
Patrice Cormier, 3 goals

http://www.leaguestat.com/chl/memcu...son_id=46&league_id=1&division_id=-1&confId=0

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I can now see why the scouts see the lack of compete in Mantha. At times he just stands there and does not challenge, he just puts his stick out hoping his reach can fetch the puck out. I hope this part of his game disappears.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yea watching Mantha today I wouldn't know he was a GPG player. He looks like a lazy bum so far.

I actually said to my Dad I can see why people say it also, but I also think those people are wrong a bit. I do see him floating, but it actually is for the most part floating into soft spots in the defense. At times where he needs to he definitely doesn't float. I've seen him going in as the first forechecker tonight and make the hit and any time on the back check.

Watching the last couple nights I've actually felt a lot better about Mantha because I've seen when hes floating its smart, hes started playing more defensively and hes actually the best PKer in the tournament so far from what I've seen.

He could turn it up at times, but for the most part the guys floating at times where it doesnt impact the game negatively and is probably helpful offensively

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I actually said to my Dad I can see why people say it also, but I also think those people are wrong a bit. I do see him floating, but it actually is for the most part floating into soft spots in the defense. At times where he needs to he definitely doesn't float. I've seen him going in as the first forechecker tonight and make the hit and any time on the back check.

Watching the last couple nights I've actually felt a lot better about Mantha because I've seen when hes floating its smart, hes started playing more defensively and hes actually the best PKer in the tournament so far from what I've seen.

He could turn it up at times, but for the most part the guys floating at times where it doesnt impact the game negatively and is probably helpful offensively

Floating smart or not, I don't think this flies with Babcock. Grand Rapids it is.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I agree with this for the most part. His positioning is great, kind of like a goaltender that doesn't need to make desperation saves he doesn't have to scramble to get into position. But there are definitely times when he should put more pressure on opposing players but doesn't close the gap quickly enough and I'm sure that's going to be a big thing for him to work on next season, either in GR or Detroit.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
What just happened right now on the ice is exactly what Mantha needs to work on, he stopped his man but it seems like he gave up half way and they got a scoring chance out of it.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree with this for the most part. His positioning is great, kind of like a goaltender that doesn't need to make desperation saves he doesn't have to scramble to get into position. But there are definitely times when he should put more pressure on opposing players but doesn't close the gap quickly enough and I'm sure that's going to be a big thing for him to work on next season, either in GR or Detroit.

Yeah hes definitely not perfect and can improve on that but I see a lot of this floating, the majority even, as a non issue. He knows when to turn it up and it just worked cause he got his assist based on his forechecking

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
a part of it is also him playing a bit too much. He was timed at 25-27 minutes a game in the Q final. Probably about the same in the Memorial Cup. Although he tested among the best on the VO2Max at the combine last year, still when you're playing that much you can't go all effort (not hiding the fact that he's not a natural pedal to the floor guy anyways).

That said, even if he floats at times, I'm always impressed by the number of turnovers he can force. For some reason, maybe it's hand-eye coordination, but he just puts his stick on the puck so easily. Won a few battles against Reinhart as well.

Aug 6, 2012
a part of it is also him playing a bit too much. He was timed at 25-27 minutes a game in the Q final. Probably about the same in the Memorial Cup. Although he tested among the best on the VO2Max at the combine last year, still when you're playing that much you can't go all effort (not hiding the fact that he's not a natural pedal to the floor guy anyways).

That said, even if he floats at times, I'm always impressed by the number of turnovers he can force. For some reason, maybe it's hand-eye coordination, but he just puts his stick on the puck so easily. Won a few battles against Reinhart as well.

Yeah seems like he's out there every other shift this game.

Aug 6, 2012
I've watched so many Foreurs games this year that I've actually become a big fan of the team, and not just because of Mantha. They seem to carry an underdog mentality but always find a way to win.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I've watched so many Foreurs games this year that I've actually become a big fan of the team, and not just because of Mantha. They seem to carry an underdog mentality but always find a way to win.

same for me, been watching them for the last two years and became attached to those guys. Great bunch they have.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I've watched "bits and pieces" of the Edmonton and Guelph games. Mantha looked lazy, invisible and soft. Was really disappointed to say the least.

NyquistIsMyGod*

So he will be that next Franzen for us. Scores 50 goals per season and everybody hates him because he looks lazy. :sarcasm:

I'm a Mule fan :laugh: so that won't be me. Not many Mule fans around here.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Shame you missed the London game, then. He was excellent.

Yeah. It's the only one I missed. I only caught 30 minutes of Edmonton and Guelph though too. What's his weight at? Every website is different. I just wasn't impressed. Same time though, Guelph is really, really, really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad