Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I've seen Bertuzzi compared to Andrew Shaw...Does anyone else see a little Brad Marchand in him?

I will take Shaw. I want nothing to do with any Marchands on the Wings. I like grit, I like tenacity, I like **** talking, chirping and competing. What Marchand and Lucic do, I don't want that anywhere near me and even if it's my local beer league I will two hand the ever living hell out of any little **** like that until the end of the earth. No respect, no patience and no pity.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
IIRC quite a few people on here still weren't sold on Mantha going into the draft. That just shows how much his work-ethic issues were blown out of proportion though.

Definitely not.

In the mock draft poll done here last year we were asked who we'd pick at #18 and only 3 voters total picked Mantha.

Overwhelmingly Zykov, Lazar, and Pulock were the choices of most.

2 of those 3 were off the board when we picked though, with Zykov falling all the way to 37th

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Definitely not.

In the mock draft poll done here last year we were asked who we'd pick at #18 and only 3 voters total picked Mantha.

2 of those 3 were off the board when we picked though, with Zykov falling all the way to 37th

I remember I had hoped Mantha would still be available when it was Detroit's turn to pick. I didn't expect him to be. Then when he began to fall a little I thought there was no way Detroit would pass on him. Next thing I know Detroit trades the pick and I was pretty upset. Still ended up with him obviously so a great move in hindsight. Glad Detroit avoided Gauthier and several others taken after #20

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Definitely not.

I remember Wennberg got a lot of talk around here too(and was also gone by the time the Wings picked)

personally I was excited for Pulock and Shinkaruk

although I was okay with the Mantha pick when the Wings picked him since at least he was a high upside guy

just like a few guys this year(McCann for one) I was really hoping the Wings wouldn't end up with Lazar due to him not having a high enough upside

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
IIRC quite a few people on here still weren't sold on Mantha going into the draft. That just shows how much his work-ethic issues were blown out of proportion though.

neither were the wings brass, or else they wouldn't have traded down and risked losing him. management got a bit lucky here, which is fine. now taking duclair with that extra pick, that would have been sick

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I remember Wennberg got a lot of talk around here too(and was also gone by the time the Wings picked)

although I was okay with the Mantha pick when the Wings picked him since at least he was a high upside guy

just like a few guys this year(McCann for one) I was really hoping the Wings wouldn't end up with Lazar due to him not having a high enough upside

I remember Shinkaruk as a name that got a lot of talk around here. Admittedly, I don't follow junior leagues or what not at all, but just follow the threads in here when it comes to gearing up for draft, so I don't know if a lot of these guys got talk elsewhere. Shinkaruk was mentioned a lot, though.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

I remember wanting Wennberg or Pulock, if not them I was ok with Zykov. Mantha being available never really crossed my mind tbh. Had Wennberg or Pulock been available I would have still drafted one of them ahead of Mantha at the time, but not Zykov.

I also never anticipated Shinkaruk dropping that much so when the Wings drafted, I was hoping they take him and not Mantha. Glad I was not the one drafting that day.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I remember Shinkaruk as a name that got a lot of talk around here. Admittedly, I don't follow junior leagues or what not at all, but just follow the threads in here when it comes to gearing up for draft, so I don't know if a lot of these guys got talk elsewhere. Shinkaruk was mentioned a lot, though.

I remember wanting Wennberg or Pulock, if not them I was ok with Zykov. Mantha being available never really crossed my mind tbh. Had Wennberg or Pulock been available I would have still drafted one of them ahead of Mantha at the time, but not Zykov.

I also never anticipated Shinkaruk dropping that much so when the Wings drafted, I was hoping they take him and not Mantha. Glad I was not the one drafting that day.

yeah i had hopes for wennberg too but realistically, he wasn't dropping to 18. i voted pulock in that mock draft.

mantha flew under the radar, didn't watch him play and relied too much on what other people said. just noticed later how rare his goal-scoring talent was.

shinkaruk was the one i wanted when i saw him dropping. he was projected to go much higher like around top 10.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
IIRC the 3 guys I wanted most were Rychel, Mantha, and Gauthier. I remember being really high on Rychel.

Also liked Pulock a ton, but figured he'd be gone.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
IIRC the 3 guys I wanted most were Rychel, Mantha, and Gauthier. I remember being really high on Rychel.

Also liked Pulock a ton, but figured he'd be gone.

Yeah, I narrowed it down to 3 guys I wanted too.

Mine were Wennberg, Lazar, and Mantha. But I thought Wennberg would be gone. (Which he was).

People were comparing Mantha's work ethic to Franzen's and I admit I was scared :laugh:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I don't remember work ethic being a big knock on Mantha. As I remember it the knock was on his intensity and in-game consistency from shift to shift. Fans just seemed to interpret that as him being lazy and having poor work ethic. Honestly he still does have issues with maintaining his compete level for a full 60 minutes and it's something he'll need to continue to improve on next year probably in the AHL.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
neither were the wings brass, or else they wouldn't have traded down and risked losing him. management got a bit lucky here, which is fine. now taking duclair with that extra pick, that would have been sick

Not sure who the other 2 guys were on the Wings list but apparently their top 3 were all available when it came to their time to pick. San Jose offered an extra 2nd rounder to move up 2 places in the draft.

The Wings were still guaranteed to get one of their options but as it turned out they still got the #1 guy on their list.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure who the other 2 guys were on the Wings list but apparently their top 3 were all available when it came to their time to pick. San Jose offered an extra 2nd rounder to move up 2 places in the draft.

The Wings were still guaranteed to get one of their options but as it turned out they still got the #1 guy on their list.

Could be wrong... But I think their 3 guys were Rychel, Mantha, and Burakovsky.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Does Val Dor have a chance against the Oil Kings and Storm? I guess Bibeau will have to stand on his head like he did against London?

I'd say so. They won't come in as the favorites for sure. The way I see it, they won't see a better PP and a better player than they faced against Halifax and Drouin. Also, although Edmonton is stronger than Baie-Comeau, they're still similar teams. Val d'Or struggled in their first game against BC but made adjustments and turned on the offense afterwards. Bibeau will have to stand strong again, first line will have to deliver and the rest of the D and team bend but don't break.

Guelph had a tougher time against North Bay than they had against Edmonton in their first game, so I'm hopeful Val d'Or can play the same trick.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Does Val Dor have a chance against the Oil Kings and Storm? I guess Bibeau will have to stand on his head like he did against London?

Yeah I think they have a chance as well. Bibeau definitely will have to be good but you can say the same for each team. Two days off with no travel should be helpful for Val-d'Or. All the teams look pretty evenly matched imo.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I wouldn't bet on them in a 7 game series vs either one, but in this tournament format I don't think you can count anyone out.

A hot goalie, or a big game by any player could be enough to win.

After all Shawinigan won the 2012 tournament despite being a heavy underdog.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I still think it was a stupid pick and they should have taken Buchnevich,putting up a few points in juniors on a stacked team changes nothing

and now he can't even seem to stay healthy

also I haven't forgiven him for ****ing up Jensen's season

You really need to get over it. It was said at the time that there were at least some other teams that had him graded as a third round quality player. He got picked one pick before the third round. On top of that, him scoring a few goals is showing he produces like he should at his draft position. Some are saying hes the MVP of the best junior team in the world. Hes producing at a high level for his draft position and one of the best players on the best junior team going. Maybe the wings scouts that have actually seen him plenty know what theyre doing. Its definitely looking like a very good pick right now.

The Jensen stuff is stupid too. Get over it, Jensen wanted to fight and actually was the first one throwing with no gloves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad