Rumor: Rangers looking to deal for D

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Stasny's been pretty bad the last few years. A 50-55 point player at his salary.

He's not in the long term future of the Avs. They're gonna trade him to a contender at the deadline next year for a modest return or just let him walk (addition by subtraction).

MacKinnon isn't going anywhere.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If Sather and his cap crunchers thought the team had cap problems they would have just bought out Richards.

That's a big decision to make. They must have some sort of game plan for the off season.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't get the whole Staal to Carolina thing. Is there concrete evidence he wants to go to Carolina? He's a grown man and he doesn't need his brothers to hold his hand.

It's the same as when a team trades for a second or third Russian or Czech or Finn and then if you put these players on the same line, national pride enhances their skill.

That being said, if Staal has said something behind the scenes or the Rangers feel he's gone in two years, better to trade him now or at the deadline than lose him for nothing.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't think that it's purely a cap move. Staal is a fan favorite. There needs to be a justifiable reason to trade him besides (he may or may not bolt to Carolina at season's end). This has been a legitimate possibility since the Cane's traded for Jordan, whether we believed it would happen or not.

My guess is that upon beginning extension talks with Henrik this weekend the Rangers must have tried to reach out to Staal's camp too and were not reassured that he would stay (at the very least). The most justifiable reason they can say to the public is that they need cap room and he's far too expensive to keep with all the RFA's coming up in the next 3 years. Personally, I think the organization loves Marc and would not want to bad mouth him to the media (if his true intentions are to play with his brothers).

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don't get the whole Staal to Carolina thing. Is there concrete evidence he wants to go to Carolina? He's a grown man and he doesn't need his brothers to hold his hand.

It's the same as when a team trades for a second or third Russian or Czech or Finn and then if you put these players on the same line, national pride enhances their skill.

That being said, if Staal has said something behind the scenes or the Rangers feel he's gone in two years, better to trade him now or at the deadline than lose him for nothing.

There is no evidence. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but all the talk is pretty much speculation because 1) Carolina is looking for D and 2) How cool would it be to have 4 brothers on the same team!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don't think that it's purely a cap move. Staal is a fan favorite. There needs to be a justifiable reason to trade him besides (he may or may not bolt to Carolina at season's end). This has been a legitimate possibility since the Cane's traded for Jordan, whether we believed it would happen or not.

My guess is that upon beginning extension talks with Henrik this weekend the Rangers must have tried to reach out to Staal's camp too and were not reassured that he would stay (at the very least). The most justifiable reason they can say to the public is that they need cap room and he's far too expensive to keep with all the RFA's coming up in the next 3 years. Personally, I think the organization loves Marc and would not want to bad mouth him to the media (if his true intentions are to play with his brothers).

He can't bolt to Carolina at season's end because he's under contract with NYR for 2 more years. He's also on a sweetheart deal, so any talk of needing to move him for cap purposes are bunk.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I like managements' thinking behind trading for Scuderi. Bring in a very reliable, serviceable defenseman; trade a defensive asset, which they have a lot of, for a Top 6 forward. Very WIN NOW, which is exactly what I want to see from the Rangers this offseason.

Keeping Richards is a very WIN NOW move, as well. If (and I understand it's a big "if") Richards can return to form, your center depth is great.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Staal for Skinner + Murphy/McBain.

Massive difference in value between McBain and Murphy.

Like, gigantic. Universe gigantic.

I may not care for Dagoon but he definitely has a lot of legit sources.

I don't understand how someone who's been correct on a number of occasions is being questioned. I think Dagoon gets a lot of heat from certain posters here because of some of the things he's said about Lundqvist. Or, because he's an old-schooler who grew up watching a game that's changed dramatically over the years and hates how soft the game has gotten.

When Dagoon posts a rumour, it's legit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is doing so for personal reasons.

Kershaw

Dagoon broke the Kovalchuk to NJD signing and the Torts firing. I trust his sources.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Stop questioning Dagoon's sources. He has legitimate sources. This is to talk about the rumors not the sources. We'll have to start handing out infractions.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
hmmm....what team needs defenseman badly? Penguins? Flyers? Dont see those teams doing a blockbuster with the Rangers. Carolina does too, but their forwards arent all that appealing, Tlustys shooting % is unsustainable.

I mean, I guess Staal for Tlusty +#5 would be good, but it doesnt really help us on the cap.

we've got too many forwards (not quality, quantity).

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This seems like foreshadowing to me...

RjOuaQi.png

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think its kinda silly that Carolina wants all of Staals on their team, but if they are that enamored with the idea, lets make them over pay to make it happen now rather than later, if the brothers were all in on it from the start.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I don't think it's the last name as much as Staal is a perfect fit in CAR right now. Cheap, physical top 4 dman. The name doesn't hurt however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad